So what sounds isit that you can't get with only the major scale?

Terje

• Members

The altered chord/scale.

The minor ii-V-I (Think you might ever wan't to play 'Blue Train'? Or how about 'Summertime' with the original Gershwin harmonies instead of the simplified Real Book version?)

If you stick to major scale harmony, that basically means you are using #9ths, b13ths and #5's only as passing tones, never as chord tones. Sounds limiting to me.

But hey, it's not like you couldn't make a lifetime of music with just major scale harmony. Whatever buzzes your tower. *shrug*

• Members

Originally posted by thamiam

But hey, it's not like you couldn't make a lifetime of music with just major scale harmony. Whatever buzzes your tower. *shrug*

OK, this was just for fun and I use other scales too, don't worry :)

But you can get a lot by using just the major scale, or a mix of several major scales.

Altered tones? On a G7 you can play the F# major scale, lots of altered notes there :cool:

• Members
Originally posted by Terje

OK, this was just for fun and I use other scales too, don't worry
:)

But you can get a lot by using just the major scale, or a mix of several major scales.

Altered tones? On a G7 you can play the F# major scale, lots of altered notes there
:cool:

but then it is not a major scale:cool:

• Members

Originally posted by Terje

Altered tones? On a G7 you can play the F# major scale, lots of altered notes there
:cool:

But it is not an "altered scale", like when you look at a lead sheet and you see "G alt". That is a specific chord/scale taken from a mode of the melodic minor scale. Also known as "G b9#9#11b13#13", but that is a pain in the ass to write and read.

• Members

Originally posted by thamiam

But it is not an "altered scale", like when you look at a lead sheet and you see "G alt".

No that's true. But it hits a lot (if not all) the altered notes so it'll "do the trick" too :D

It is a tritone sub.

Archived