Installing Tremolo pivot inserts

u6crash

• Members

I'm working on a project guitar and I'd like to go with either a genuine Fender American Standard trem or a Gotoh/Wilkinson trem. Both require pivot inserts. How are these installed? I want to try it myself. The Fender insert is 0.375" (3/16) and the Wilkinson is 0.382" (~49/128 !). So what size of hole is needed for either of these? Shouldn't the hole be slightly smaller so that the insert has to forced in and snug?

• Members

Wrong forum for this question but...

I would get a micrometer and measure the post first, then go with a SLIGHTLY smaller hole, use a drill press so it's completely vertical. Also, if ya can an arbor press is great for seating the posts, no hammering or anything.

The last thing you want to do though is split the wood because the whole is too small , so make sure the hole is just a teeny bit smaller, usually posts have ridges that will cut into the sides of the hole to lock it in.

• Members

Originally posted by Smokey

Wrong forum for this question but...

Really? I thought this was for all lessons on playing, maintaining, building, and all other things guitar? No? I'll take my questions elsewhere if that's not the case (I've got a lot of questions).

Archived