Wiring Questions Galore!

u6crash

• Members

I'm investigating wiring schemes for my current project guitar before I buy pickups and pots and such.

The guitar will have three single coils, three knobs and a five position switch and resemble a typical strat setup on the outside. What I've envisioned is using thee 250k pots with push-pull DPDT switches mounted at the base. Each pot would be an independent volume control for each pickup. At least two switches would control different capacitors affecting the tone. I'm not sure how the 5-way switch would be wired or the third switch mounted to the third pot. There are various in phase, out of phase, reverse phase, things I could do right? Does any of this sound reasonable or is it laughable?

Also, if two capacitors are wired in series, is that like having one capacitor of the combined value?

Oh, and the reason for not having a tone knob is because I'm not one who really uses it to dial in a gradual amount of tone. Usually somewhere around all or nothing.

• Members

May i suggest the following BEFORE you actually build the components into the guitar?

First off, you want to try alot of things but probably dont have alot of guitars layin round to experiment with , right?

Well, save youself alot of time and trouble and build a test board with several pots built onto it. Then take the leads from your pu's and install quick disconnectors to them . Then make up a cord with several connectors to hook up the test board to the leads.

Now, you have the ability to experiment with different combination of electronics and immediately make small changes to the components without having to take off the strings, then remove the pickguard and components, then make the changes, then reinstall and restring, then try it out, then take it apart again, then....

This is the fastest and most efficient way to try out different wiring schemes to switches too! I used to do this on guitars by disconnecting the installed components that came with them but not removing them from the guitar. Just disconnect the wires and install the connectrs. Then build a test board with the components i wanted to try out or the scematic i was going to use. That way no harm ior removal of things is needed until you are satidfied with the components on the test board.

• Members

One of the things i did was to detup a master board of different value pots (some with and some without added things hooked up to them) so i could see easily what small change in a component value would do to the sound. I then had switches to put them in the loop or bypass them on the same board.

Actually, i real surprized after all these years they dont make a test board from some manufacturer already to go! There is money in this idea folks and i wanna percentage if ya build them and get rich from it! :)

Archived