Input on first real Jazz attempt (clip)?

snakum

• Members

I jumped ahead in the Zentao theory lessons and have been playing around with scales other than the Major I'm learning now. I've been tryng to better understand what I can, and cannot, play over for a given chord. Until the last couple weeks I didn't know very much about guitar at all, and have been a musically illiterate blues-rock hack for twenty-five years. This is coming slow... and I find myself trying to slip back into the comfortable and familiar two 'scales' that I know from ear.

So, does this first attempt at something other than a standard blues progression give any hint to what I'm getting or not getting out of the theory lessons? Are there glaring faux pas in the solo work (totally dicked up keys, etc.)? I didn't work out the leads at all, but just noodled over my little Jazz piece (first one :) ) while staring at printed scale charts.

Any input at all is greatly appreciated.

http://www.activesolutions.com/music/Moonpie_Birthday.mp3

Minh

• Members

I thought you had some good blues ideas in there. I did not find it to be jazzy at all though. My suggestion would be to memorize the chord progression and try to play through the changes by hitting only the 3rds and 7ths of the chords. Stuff like that. In order to sound good making changes, you need to be able to hit the appropriate chord tones on each chord. Don't fixate on scales. Scale playing in jazz is not the grail. You will sound like scale wanking if you do. You need to be able to arpeggiate each chord, hit the color tones that sound nice on each chord, eventually being able to play sax lines that you learn and also superimposing triads over the harmony.

Scott

• Members
I thought you had some good blues ideas in there. I did not find it to be jazzy at all though.

I'm definitely a tiger trying to change it's stripes. Too many years of 12-bar blues and classic rock have ruined me. :D

play through the changes by hitting only the 3rds and 7ths of the chords

Do you mean play only the third and seventh note of each chord along with the changes, and to do this to begin moving toward mainly arpeggios, as opposed to 'scale-noodling'?

Thanks for taking the time to listen and reply. I can't afford a teacher locally and so I am having to tough it out on my own with books and these forums.

Minh

• Members

Yeah Minh!

Exactly. Take the 3rd and 7th note. For example, over a C7 play E and Bb. These notes form something called guidetone lines. They may be chromatic or real basic looking as you move through the changes. Learning this type of thing is SO productive and will help your playing in any style!!!

Feel free to email me one on one. I'd love to help.

Scott

• Members

So... what do we have here? Isthis a tune? Should I know it? Anyway, sonds nice. As already mention more bluesy than jazzy but there's nothing wrong with that :)

If blues is what you've played then why not start there when you wnat to learn how to play jazz? Learn some bebop jazz heads and go from there. Play some chord tones and some chromatic runs with your blues scale.

• Members

Thanks Scott ... you've been unbelievably gracious. I'll work on that very thing tonight.

Hi Terje ... my Buddha Buddy :D It's just a little tune I noodled out while looking at a chart of 'Jazz chords' and listening to some old Jazz players.

I just picked the guitar up again last month after quitting and selling everything off in 1998/99 and I am having a blast. It's nice to be excited about just simply playing the guitar again after so many years of bad band situations, making no money, spending too much on equipment, etc ...

Thanks again all!

Reverend Thich Minh "Blues Hack" Thong

• Members
Originally posted by snakum

Hi Terje ... my Buddha Buddy
:D
It's just a little tune I noodled out while looking at a chart of 'Jazz chords' and listening to some old Jazz players.

Then just keep doing that for some time and you'll start to get the hang of it soon. Learn Tenor Madness, Now's The Time, Billie's Bounce and Blues For Alice. Add Blue Monk and Freddie Freeloader to the list. And... lo and behold, now you're playing jazz!

It's just as much in the phrasing as in the actual note choices you make. Play those blues phrases you usually play, but just a little more laid back perhaps, not so many huge bends with heavy vibrato :)

Add to this just a little awareness of the underlying harmony and hint at it now and then and you're in business.

Archived