Use of a metronome

djchase7

• Members

Interesting indeed. I've met so many people and had so many students that hate metronomes. Why? Because it is the ultimate truthsayer when it comes to rhythm and they can't take it when they can't play in time with one. Metronomes are indespensable and the more complex the music, the more indespensable, I don't care who you are, you should use one. :)

• Members
Originally posted by d0zerz

I used to be a drummer so when I tap my foot it's a metronome
:)

Seriously though does anyone play to drum loops? that's a lot more fun than playing to
click...click...click...

Well, you have to take it in context. I and many others are trained solo musicians. You generally don't play Fernando Sor sonatas to a drum kit ( might be an interesting experiment though). The aim should also be, eventually, to set the metronome to only play the first beat in the measure. That way you're not hearing every subdivision of the beats and are forced to feel the rest of the measure and try to land one beat one of the next measure.

• Members

I'm totally behind don on this one.

We were sort of discussing this on another thread.

Sometimes people will fall into a trap where they learn their counting, but can't subdivide their counts....so they struggle with trying to think in the finest granulatiry a iece will have..throughout the piece!!!!

this not only raises rhythmic overhead, it messes will the feel of a piece as one sees an 1/8 as simply 2 X 1/16 so the diff between, say cut and common time is totally lost to them

• Members

Originally posted by dongenaro

Well, you have to take it in context. I and many others are trained solo musicians. You generally don't play Fernando Sor sonatas to a drum kit ( might be an interesting experiment though). The aim should also be, eventually, to set the metronome to only play the first beat in the measure. That way you're not hearing every subdivision of the beats and are forced to feel the rest of the measure and try to land one beat one of the next measure.

+1

• Members

touche!

I can totally see where you guys are coming from. Wouldn't that mean it would be even better to play with the metronome at half speed and try to hit the first note of every other measure? Or is that too "hardcore"?

I really admire the rigor to which you guys chisel your abilities...I think i'd like to cultivate some of that

• Members

Interesting indeed. I've met so many people and had so many students that hate metronomes. Why? Because it is the ultimate truthsayer when it comes to rhythm and they can't take it when they can't play in time with one. Metronomes are indespensable and the more complex the music, the more indespensable, I don't care who you are, you should use one.

What he said. Of all the players I've met over the many years that I've been at it, it's the ones with poor meter that don't like metronomes. After finding the guitar that's just right for you, a metronome is your most important piece of gear.........if you're serious about playing.

• Members

Metronomes are indespensable and the more complex the music, the more indespensable, I don't care who you are, you should use one.

On the other hand there's Mike Perlowin (know here as Stringman) who says he's never used a metronome in his life. And he plays some pretty complex stuff.

• Members

I'm not real big on metronomes. Of course, it's important to have a tight rhythm section, and of course it's important that all the players be in time with each other. However, it's of no importance at all if the 16th bar of a song is 1/5th second shorter than the first bar. In fact, this sort of breathing quality of the tempo is something that your mind subconsciously picks up on, and it adds to the feeling of the song. The tempo slows down slightly before a change to the mellower part of the song, it picks up slightly before a change to the more dramatic part of the song.

As an example, a while back I was trying to learn a rather complicated rhythm part from a Van Halen song. I looped 4 bars of it on my sampler, and practiced along. The first thing I noticed was that with the 4th bar looped back to the 1st, the 4th bar was played at a quicker tempo than the 1st, by quite a bit. This is because that part of the song was leading up to a more climactic part, and the (normally imperceptable) speeding up of tempo helped to lead into that climax.

Even with those melodic scale contours - for instance, when you practice playing the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 1st notes of a scale, followed by the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 2nd notes of the scale etc. I practice those with a metronome, just to be able to judge my progress, but when I try to stick those licks into a solo I find them useless. They're machine-like. I need to relearn them in the context of music, with all the accelerating and breathing qualities that it contains.

I recently wrote a kind of spooky sounding lick, just going down through the notes of the locrian mode. It had a sort of Tocatta and Fugue in D minor by Bach sound to it. I tried recording it on my 4 tracker, with the metronome so that I could synch up the drum machine later. Every last ounce of coolness was drained from that lick as soon as I played it in strict time. And I hear that so much in a lot of music.

The only reason I play with a metronome is that I have to synch up my drum machine to my recordings. Still, I play a rhythm track with the metronome, then add drums, and invariably have to redo the rhythm track because the drums give the song a certain energy that makes the previous metronome-inspired track sound lousy.

Anyhoo, I'm not much of a fan of metronomes. At least for guitarists; drummers should be required to practice with them though, as they tend to come from lower down on the evolutionary tree ;)

• Members

Every guitarist must learn to play in time.
I have taught many young kids to play and one of the first things I notice is that those who have never used a drum machine or a metronome is lost as soon as you turn on a backing track that they can practice lead or rhythm over.
It doesn't matter if it's a metronome or a drum machine or whatever but learning to play in time is just something you have to do.
Once you have learned that it doesn't matter where you go from there but if you can't even follow a simple drum pattern or a metronome you are of no use in a band or will never be able to make music anyone else wants to listen to.

• Members

I need to get a metronome soon along with a capo and maybe a tuner.I generally tune well by ear (its taken a while but i can do it pretty wel now) but sometimes its a microtone out and just bugs you, then its time to properly tune it, plus of course stage tuning.

I agree that a metronome is a fantastic tool and i find myself getting lost on some rythmns soooo.........

Also though its good to play around with the pace in music and when you write something, a lot of the time you come up with your personal unique way of timing it so its hard to put an exact beat to.Anyway will have to really learn the rules then break them

Archived