Which books have you benefitted most from?

• Members

It's of course quite personal how a guitarist ends up learning from a specific source, but I'm interested in hearing what are the books from which you feel like having learned a lot, or after reading/exercising on them you noticed an important improvement in your playing style or technique.

Personally I have studied on a very few books: the Berklee series was the only written reference when I was taking guitar lessons, everything else was always bits & pieces designed by the teachers or sometimes taken from magazines & books, but never more than a couple examples from the same source.

• Members
Originally posted by Fill

The Progressive Guitarist series,
Practical Theory for Guitar
, by Don Latarski. It covers a great deal of theory; how to use scales, modes, chords.

I was just going to post about it :) I wish I had this one a long time ago. HIGHLY recommended.

I've also enjoyed Exciting Concepts for Blues Guitar Soloing, and vol. 2 will be available in 2006
http://www.barrylevenson.com/

I've learned a lot from Arlen Roth, Dave Rubin, Wolf Marshall, Keith Wyatt, Miguel Botafogo, Duke Robillard (just recently) and Troy Stetina. When I was starting a great guitarist gave me copies of a Paul Lucas book and said that would get me started in the right path, and he was correct.

Also, some Berklee books and MI books have been very useful. The MI Workshop Series has proved VERY useful for me. I have the Blues book, and I will program the drums, and record all of the other instruments including guitar. For me that has been a great way to learn about how different instruments relate to each other, arrangements, sounds, mixing, etc.

I'm leaving out many great books and authors, but I just can't remember them all.

• Members

Originally posted by MrSteed

I can easily say it has been Guitar Principles. Hands

down. For technique. I've had very dramatic results with it.

I have not read that one, but when I visited the website and after reading some comments, I got the impression that the book deals with practice habits and how to practice, and ergonomics.

One book that got me into thinking about the physical aspects of guitar playing is Peter Murray's Essential Bass Technique. Even though it is a book for bassists, after reading it I immediately considered my guitar technique from a new perspective, and consistently transferred what I had learned and applied it to the guitar.

• Members

Originally posted by bardsley

The Advancing Guitarist, by Mick Goodrick. It's not a method book, but it has a more than a lifetime's worth of material to study. Any one page you could pretty much work on and explore the concepts of for more than a year.

If I had to pick one that would be it.Great book.

Well written easy read too.

• Members

Anything by Mick Goodrick is awesome, he also has the Mr. Goodchord Almanac of Voice Leading for 2002 and beyond
And he's a cool guy :-)

Zen Guitar is good for the philosophy playing.

William Leavitt has Modern Method For Guitar 1 2 and 3

I'm also into George Russell's Lydian Chromatic Concept of Tonal Organization.

Melodic Rhythms for Guitar by William Leavitt is supprisingly hard to sight read

GET ANYTHING BY BARRY GALBRAITH

The Real Book is my bible!!!

Berklee Press has some other stuff too....

Archived