Practice Regime -- Comments?

kyoun1e

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The Phrygian Dominant Tutorial is at my lesson site.

It's listed as Phrygian Dominant Tutorial under the "On Topic Tutorials".

The scale is primarily a Phrygian Scale with a M3 instead of a b3. It's also the 5th mode of a Harmonic Minor scale, but used on it's own, regardless of the relation to the HM scale.

Read the Introduction it'll tell you some detailed stuff about it.

It's an awesome sounding scale, very Indian-ish. And, it'll get you out of the box REALLY quick.

Enjoy!

• Members

Sometimes I only get in an hour a day. Last night I focused on vibrato the entire time. Yep. I have never been good at a vibrato with my pinky, so I worked on that mostly. I tried many vibrato wide, fast, slow, bend+vibrato,whatever. I went through many slower melodies and made an effort to vibrato any note that was sustained.

The night before that I worked on getting Jason Becker's "Mabels Fatal Fabel" up to tempo and finding fingerings that were more efficent. Then I played along with Gilbert's "Technical Difficulties" at many tempos.

Tonight I will probably do my more common routine of warming up with alternate picking triplets and 16ths, and then move to 5's and 7's. After that I generally practice sweep picking, playing parts from "Serenna" , "Black Cat", "GoOff", "Images", and "Altitudes". Those songs incorporate a lot of techniques I use commonly and when they become too easy, I will learn other songs or different parts from those songs.

I too took a long hiatus in my playing. For nearly 5 years I barely touched the guitar. Songs I used to could play easily are completely foriegn to me now. Its been less than a year back playing now, and I think I am making good strides back to the level of playing i was at. I do use a mentrone extensively, mainly just to help me make gradual increments in speed.

The thing is I work on things that give me problems. I dont play the stuff thats easy for me. If you want constant improvement, you have to keep constant challenges on yourself. Recently I have discoverd that my ears suck and I need to start developing my ear training. This will become part of my daily routine until I master it.

• Members

I probably have around 1 hour per day as well on average, but unfortunately not very regularly, but instead more like 2 hours one day then no time next day and so on...

And just as many others in this thread, I've been away from the guitar for 5 years or more, and started again less than 5 months ago.

At the moment I practice basic technique exercises about 20min, then 20min of studying selected passages from real songs, then 20min of free-form playing (either try playing a song I used to know, learning a new one, improvising over a base...).

I don't have a clear plan yet, I'm still trying to understand what to do and making some experiments in how to monitor my progress.

At least I have gathered a lot of material from the library, and I have already decided on a few books which I'm going to use for reference, and discarded others.

My idea is not to keep doing the same exercises over and over, but moving to new exercises all the time. For example, I could replace one exercise every 2-3 days while the others remain in daily practice. Then every now and then I give it a try with an older exercise to see if I have regressed (during the time I didn't practice it) or if I can do it better (because of the overall improvement).

• Members

Anyone ever hear of guitar scales method software?

Looks like the same company that makes the guitar speed training software. This may provide the best of both worlds -- more scale knowledge AND speed.

Anyone with any knowledge of this product?

Thanks. KY

• Members

Originally posted by Spooky_tom

It depends what your goal is. If you just want to sit at home and play for fun then it looks ok. But if you want to be a musician and play with other people I would suggest you practice a lot more rhythm playing and chords/chord-theory. I know it is fun to play and practice all the solo techniques but in a real situation you are more likely to be ask to play some mean and basic pentatonic blues stuff and not the 32nd note runs you know.

Just a thought.

Spooky_tom

ive been wanting to learn more rhythm, b/c ive never had lessons and dont have the money, but i think the rhythm just as important than the lead b/c without a pretty rhythm, the lead doesnt matter. i know alot of chords, and can put simple shords together, but most of the time i just pull chords out of my butt and sometimes it sounds really good and sometimes it doesnt.

• Members

Originally posted by kyoun1e

I've been playing guitar for about 3 years now. I'm 38 and have little time to practice, but want to find the time. I realisticaly have 1 hour per day if that.

I'm really looking to increase my accuracy and speed along with knowing the major scale and pentatonic minor / blues inside and out. I aspire to rock like Jimmy Page and Kirk Hammett so I am squarely in the hard rock / metal camp.

Right now, here is my practice regime to achieve these goals...all with a metronome:

Chromatics -- 15 minutes

* 1-2-3-4 up and down the strings starting at fret 1 - fret 12

* One string at a time 1-2-3-4, 2-3-4-5, etc.

* Alternating Strings

* Diagonal starting at high and low E strings fret 1-12 and back

Pentatonic Minor Scales -- 15 minutes

* Scale runs

* Repeated Scale runs

* Sequenced Scale runs

Major Scale -- 15 minutes

* Ditto above...three notes per string ascending and descending

Play Time -- 15 minutes

* Improvisation on above scales or

* Play along with a tune in key

* Try to learn a tab

What do you think? Missing anything?

January - May is usually "guitar time" for me so I want to make the most of it.

Thanks. KY

I think you're missing some kind of chord-study, rhythm and ear-training (well, this might just be taking off leads or harmonies off some CD).

Many players seem to totally neglect rhythm, chords and ear-training.

Try to learn some basic rhythm guitar in different styles (pop, rock, metal, funk, jazz, latin ....).

• Members

Originally posted by Santuzzo

I think you're missing some kind of chord-study, rhythm and ear-training (well, this might just be taking off leads or harmonies off some CD).

Many players seem to totally neglect rhythm, chords and ear-training.

Try to learn some basic rhythm guitar in different styles (pop, rock, metal, funk, jazz, latin ....).

I 100% agree. With 30 years of background I ALWAYS encourage people to learn chords and chord theory. Once you know that...a lot of music and what you play is a given.

Chords I think are the closest thing to 'everything' when it comes to playing leads/solos and melodies etc...

I have a tutorial on Intervals and Chord Construction at my site for anyone who's interested.

It starts from the ground up but covers a lot of detail. They are part of the Beginner to Advanced Series at the site. I've been teaching theory for decades and it'll these are meant to take you from ground zero right up to having a good handle on this type of stuff.

Use it. It's essential stuff.

• Members

I've been playing guitar for about 3 years now. I'm 38 and have little time to practice, but want to find the time. I realisticaly have 1 hour per day if that.

I'm really looking to increase my accuracy and speed along with knowing the major scale and pentatonic minor / blues inside and out. I aspire to rock like Jimmy Page and Kirk Hammett so I am squarely in the hard rock / metal camp.

Right now, here is my practice regime to achieve these goals...all with a metronome:

Chromatics -- 15 minutes

* Alternating Strings

* Scale runs

* Repeated Scale runs

* Sequenced Scale runs

Play Time -- 15 minutes

* Try to learn a tab

Thanks. KY

I'd drop the chromatics and look at playing around with the scales to increase you finger independence and picking technique, i used to practice chromatic scales alot and it was, IMHO, a waste of time. Here's a few things i've done to work up finger independance and stop myself playing in a linear manner...

-Try playing scales without using your first finger (it'll build up finger independance, strength and flexibility much more than chromatic exercises and is actually practical for playing solo's).

-Set challenges like playing on alternate strings. Or playing your 'box' pentatonics as 3 note per string scales (just use your imagination basically).

-Invent 4 note licks that use all 4 fingers and practice them

-Play quite slow (at a pace where you know where you're going and can use your ears) and come up with licks, if you come up with one you like, practice it until it becomes part of your 'library'.

-Work on string bends and vibrato, try and incorporate them into your playing

If you want to learn to improvise guitar solo's on an hour a day - I'd basically spend half your time on various scale related stuff like above (using a metronome) and half your time trying to apply this over backing tracks. Also try and learn something from tab once a week (maybe on the weekend when you have more time), this'll challenge you with new fingerings and ideas.

Lastly, if you're short of time, make the most of your 'dead' time when you can't play guitar. When you aren't playing, read about music theory and listen to as much guitar music as possible (you probably get time to listen to music in the car on the way to work, or time to read in your lunch hour etc.).

• Members

Originally posted by mfergel

It works fairly well. I think it's priced right. I do wish it would allow you to tailor some custom exercises with the metrenome. For example to be able to play a scale in all positions. Even if the metrenome could be used standalone so that while you didn't have the midi note playalong, you'd at least have a click track of some sort.

you can import exercises that you create yourself. I've put the whole Speed mechanics book from Tryo stetina into it.

So it is possible!!

• Members

LICK LIBRARY!

Oh god, that's what I need.

I was thinking about this last night on the pentatonic minor. I definitely have some licks in that library, but NONE on the major scale.

What's helped with this practice routine is that I've become comfortable and speedy with the pent minor to the point where I can have some fun and create these licks for the library. However, I'm not yet there for the major scale, but I can tell I'm getting there. This practice has REALLY helped me although I do find that as I become more comfortable I tend to naturally just play more.

The chromatics have actually been helpful. I've kinda combined all the exercises there to limit my time.

KY

• Members

LICK LIBRARY!

Oh god, that's what I need.

I was thinking about this last night on the pentatonic minor. I definitely have some licks in that library, but NONE on the major scale.

What's helped with this practice routine is that I've become comfortable and speedy with the pent minor to the point where I can have some fun and create these licks for the library. However, I'm not yet there for the major scale, but I can tell I'm getting there. This practice has REALLY helped me although I do find that as I become more comfortable I tend to naturally just play more.

The chromatics have actually been helpful. I've kinda combined all the exercises there to limit my time.

KY

Chromatics do help build up right hand picking techniques and finger strength - so yeh they're helpful, but I still say there's better ways of doing it. It seems to me you're spending 25% of your practice time on something you're rarely if ever going to use in a playing situation. I reckon that time is better spent doing practical stuff.

I'd honestly just use them as a warm up or something (if at all).

• Members

Good idea on chromatics. I'll probably do that. I want to move quickly to moving to different keys on the major scale.

Buy the way, Stetina's books on speed and metal are outstanding. I use a lot of his routines in my practice.

KY

• Members

Originally posted by Duivelke

you can import exercises that you create yourself. I've put the whole Speed mechanics book from Tryo stetina into it.

So it is possible!!

Would it be possible for you to share this with al of us? Does the sofware let you save or export a file of your own exercises?

• Members

I've found that my "just playing around" hasn't done much in the last year to improve my skills.

You've kind of got to break your practice time into two separate portions: Your "just playing around" time should be devoted to making music, while not even approaching your technical limits. It's extremely important that you're not always working to increase your technique. You've got to do something with your technique, otherwise you're like the football player who spends day after day in the weight room getting stronger and stronger, but never gets out on the field to participate in the game. Sure, he's got the skills to play, but he's just never tried it.

Hard to believe, but it's often overlooked. Look at the great classic rock solos, like Comfortably Numb or Whole Lotta Love. Certainly not shredding. There's no reason you shouldn't be able to play great stuff without maxing out the metronome with 16th notes. It's infinitely harder to play something that really stands out, that really catches people's attention, that really expresses what you want to say, than it is to increase your chromatic exercises by X beats per minute. So it deserves a good deal of time spent practicing that particular skill.

The second portion of practicing is of course working on technique. Everybody here does that.

I'd recommend doing what you're doing (technique practice) every other day, then on the days in between, concentrate on playing music. Make it anti-technique; just play stuff that's interesting, emotional, and extremely original.

• Members

I like that approach...splitting into tequnique and non-technique. Especially since I felt my technique work last night was drudgery.

What I've been trying to do also is combine the two a little bit. For example, I've been isolating pockets on either the pentatonic minor or major scale to produce "bursts" or licks that I can store in my "library." To me, this is fun. And it's kinda like building the foundation for future solos.

At any rate, the practice continues with continued success. Although it's amazing how you tire of one thing after a short time.

KY

• Members

Chromatics -- 15 minutes

* Alternating Strings

* Scale runs

* Repeated Scale runs

* Sequenced Scale runs

Play Time -- 15 minutes

* Try to learn a tab

Thanks. KY

That's decent, but you left out chord forms and rhythms, and with those additions all you need is more time with all of it, like 4-6 hours per day.

• Members

Where in the hell do you guys get 4-6 hours per day?

Anyone over the age of 30, with wife and kids and dogs tell me how many hours you practice.

KY

I don't practice at all now, well that's not true, but I still put in 4-6 hours when I do have a guitar to practice on. I'm not consistent though, I take breaks from it...currently I have been going on for about a year so far with this break from practicing and playing.:(

• Members

Where in the hell do you guys get 4-6 hours per day?

Anyone over the age of 30, with wife and kids and dogs tell me how many hours you practice.

KY

Yeh 4-6 hours a day is only doable when your kid/teenager/don't have a day job or other commitments.

These days I usually practice for a couple of hours in the evening and do 3-6 hours on weekends. Of course, depending on what other demands i have on my time i don't always manage to stick to that and I don't have a wife and kids - just a live-in girlfriend (who is very understanding about my guitar obsession) and a pet cat :p

Oh and I'm 27...

• Members

Originally posted by halfwhole

you can practice away from the instrument you know...i play while i'm lying in bed waiting to sleep...or while driving/waiting for the bus...spacing out in class.

it's all about visualization

I don't know how effective that would be, but I've been trying to work on my music theory recently and that's definately something you can do away from the instrument. I memorised the names of all the notes on the fretboard during my drives to and from work and read up on music theory during my lunch hours.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived