Practicing with a metronome -- tempo?

kirs

• Members

I've been playing about four years and have just got back into practicing with a metronome because frankly my soloing is sloppy.

I am finding I am way better playing a 180bpm (quarter notes) than anything lower because I don't have to think -- it's all muscle memory. Going past 200bpm gets kind of ridiculous IMO. What's a suggested tempo go work with? Should I slow down and do eighth notes and work my way up?

I don't intend of shredding but I want to build up accuracy to play normal rock solos clean and efficiently.

Originally posted by kirs

Should I slow down and do eighth notes and work my way up?

Yes. The point of a metronome is not just to give you a steady tempo, but to help you develop your own sense of time. By working on note values smaller than quarter notes (eighth notes and sixteenths, mostly), you still have to place the notes on your own inbetween the beats. If you don't quite place them right, you'll find out when the metronome cliks on the beat and you find yourself not lining up with it.

• Members

Originally posted by Poparad

Yes. The point of a metronome is not just to give you a steady tempo, but to help you develop your own sense of time. By working on note values smaller than quarter notes (eighth notes and sixteenths, mostly), you still have to place the notes on your own inbetween the beats. If you don't quite place them right, you'll find out when the metronome cliks on the beat and you find yourself not lining up with it.

How fast can you guys play 16th notes at?

Originally posted by kirs

How fast can you guys play 16th notes at?

It depends on the string skipping pattern. If it's 4 notes on one string, I top out around 150-160 bpm. If it's a trickier pattern, about 20-30 less. There are a lot of people who can play faster than that, but I don't work on speed as much as I do on other aspects of playing (mostly mental facility and speed).

• Members

start with this playing in 16ths:
5-0-0-0-3-0-0-0-2-0-0-0-3-0-0-0

and accent every first note. start at about 80 bpm and then work yur way up the metronome.

another great exercise is:
1-2-3-4-2-3-4-5-3-4-5-6-4-5-6-7

same as above, but with using all 4 fingers.

you could also descend this like:
7-6-5-4-6-5-4-3...you probably get the idea...

work with these patterns on all strings and positions.

I can do these at about 170-175, maybe a little bit more when warmed up and it took me about 2 months to get here ;).

if you want more similar exercises, check out Speed Mechanics by Troy Stetina. Great Book!

• Members

I'm pretty sure telling you to practice slowly would be a waste of those two words , So try this. Set the tempo to 90 or 45
BPM and see if your shredding still lines up. Lotta times that constant ticking is the only thing holding it together. If you worked ground up eventually the patterns would just spill out of your hands.
I think the hardest part about super chops is developing the patience to develop 'em.

Archived