Rhythm basics, time signatures & Heartbreaker

• Members

I can hear rhythm in songs no problem. I can keep a rhythm in my head or clap, snap, tap it whatever. But when it comes to reading music, I just can't get it right.

I understand the concept of time signatures to a degree. The top number is the meter and the bottom number identifires the note value that represents the pulse.

meter as I understand it, is the pattern of strong and weak pulses, or basically accents.

so....

Is the first note after a bar line always accented?

and,

How do you keep all this straight when dealing with eighth and sixteenth notes within a normal 4/4 time signature?

I know you just have to listen to a song to get it right, but are there other ways that help this process.

The specific riff I'm looking at is Page's Heartbreaker.

thanks,

DC

• Members

To confuse you even further, meter has no rythm. In certain kinds of music it is just the most convenient way to organize complex rythms.

To illustrate, take 4 consecutive quarters in 4/4. The notes supply the rythm and yes, at least psycholgically, the downbeat would be the strongest. You can now take that bar of 4/4, lose the quarters and fill it with any construct of arithmetic and pitch and

now the meter is just perfboard on which to hang the music.

As to your actual concern, (Heartbreaker) as long as you have correctly identified the downbeat, the feel will be a function of the tune. If you need to you can rock the numbers out loud.

ONE two THREE four. THIS will be a rythm.

The guitar part in this context will be EXTREMELY syncopated so stay with Bonham.

• Members

>

sometimes its easier to play off the snare drum which is on the backbeat so it could also be more like

one TWO three FOUR

i.e. snare in rock is usually on beats two and four in a bar.

A lot of times for riffs they are just eighth notes, in rock at least. So counting one-and two-and etc while playing the riff slowly can help you better determine which part of each beat the notes fall on, a lot of times it will be on the "and"

In other cases, Heartbreaker for example, you've got to get more granular, to the sixteenth notes, so counting one-2-3-4 two-2-3-4 etc will be more helpful.

For example, imagine the riff for Heartbreaker against a grid of 16th notes:

1-2-3-4|2-2-3-4|3-2-3-4|4-2-3-4

x-------|x-------|x------x|x-x------

Above is all one bar, "|" divides the bar into four beats, numbers indicate sixteenth notes, "x" underneath indicates where note is played rhythmically

Sorry if above is confusing, unsure how to post written music (and too lazy to do so even if there was a way)

• Members

hey, what is the "backbeat" anyway? Now that I think about it, I've always assumed it was beats one and three in a bar, but does it refer to eighth notes instead, specifically the second eigthth note of each beat?

"Just give me some of that rock and roll music

It's got a backbeat, you can't lose it"

• Members

thanks for the help. I guess there is no easy way to do it. I guess I'll just keep on trucking. All this stuff is just hard to wrap my mind around when so many diffrent counts are going on at the same time.

Playing with the snare is critical, I agree. Finding that "groove" can be quite a challenge and I belive is what seperates good players from great.

• Members

Originally posted by guitarviz

hey, what is the "backbeat" anyway? Now that I think about it, I've always assumed it was beats one and three in a bar, but does it refer to eighth notes instead, specifically the second eigthth note of each beat?

"Just give me some of that rock and roll music

It's got a backbeat, you can't lose it"

It actually refers to the tendency of rock music to heavily accent beats 2 and 4 (when in 4/4 time).

• Members

">

sometimes its easier to play off the snare drum which is on the backbeat so it could also be more like

one TWO three FOUR

i.e. snare in rock is usually on beats two and four in a bar."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey Viz,

I think we're describing the same thing. I was referencing to bars of 4/4 where 1 is strongest followed by 3 , then 4 and 2.

Beat three would be the 'backbeat'

(probably a more appropriate term for the 'two' feel you cited)

and beat one of course would be the downbeat (kick drum).

2 and 4 would be the "ands" ....

/one and three and/ one and three and /etc.

Sorry for the confusion.

• Members

>

Originally posted by dastardlydrvish

It actually refers to the tendency of rock music to heavily accent beats 2 and 4 (when in 4/4 time).

Dumb of me, I mis-spoke, meant to say beats 2 and 4, not 1 and 3.

you can tell I'm not a drummer ;)

Anyway, thanks for the confirmation.

• Members

My second clarinet teacher really taught me how to sight read, I had been coasting until then. Admittedly, it is easier to tap your foot playing a woodwind than a guitar, but...you should try it.

Tapping your feet, banging on your leg, etc...do something percussive to figure out the rhythm before you even pick up your instrument. If you do this enough, you'll eventually be able to do it without the percussive crutch.

Saying the rhythm out loud is also helpful. For eight notes "one and two and three and". For sixteenth notes "one ee and ah two ee and ah". Sounds silly, but gets you there. For 32nds, 64ths, just break it down to half speed until you get the idea.

Archived