Minor bVII7

alez

• Members

Why is this chord used so much more than bVIIMaj6? I find it strange from a theory point of view that we don't hear bVII7 as V7/III, fooling our perception of tonalty. Wouldn't it more logical to stay away from the dominant sound for a subdominant chord? What do you think?

Cheers,

Alex

Originally posted by alez

Cheers, 1001.

A popular one comes to mind:

Im7-bVII7-bVIMaj7-V7

That's just simply taking a common pop progression and extending the chords from triads to 7ths.

Just because you have a dominant 7th chord doesn't mean that it has to be acting as a V and resolved in a V-I. Just look at the blues; two of the dominant chords in it aren't acting as V chords, including the V chord (it goes down to a IV7 chord in the 10th bar).

• Members

For one, I look at bVII7 chord as deceptive resolution thing. Consider this progression (there is something like this in Stella by Starlight and also cherokee)...

Dm7 - G7 - Am7

Common right? then how about...

Dm7 - G7- Amaj7

This might seem weird but it used in so many songs. Theoretically you are going to the IVm7 to a bVII7 chord, but the I usually think of it as a ii-V going to a VI major.

In the diatonic sense, there really is no reason why bVII is used so much... I mean bVI Major is used all the time (thrill is gone for one...) so it is hard to say why bVII is used more than any other chord.

If you can give me a chord progression other than California Dreamin' (which is the Im7-bVII7-bVIMaj7-V7 progression) I might be more of a help.

Archived