fingers flinching??. reacting ?? while trying to 'adopt new technique'

mercury2

• Members

ok...I play everything uaing the 'rock' style, thumb over top of the neck, fingers at an angle etc

i was trying to adopt the 'proper' technique (thumb behind neck, fingers spread out etc) but when doing chromatic exercises , doing pull offs my fingers have started to get a sort of shock which makes them ping away from the fretboard, its not really pain, more of a sensation ( i really dunno how to explain) but theres no way I could play like that

is it possible I have just overdone it with the exercises (which i thought it was at first but thinking about it I havent done any real hardcore practice sessions...) because whatever muscles haven't been exercised much before (only time i can think of i play with thumb behind the neck is for bar chords)

or is this technique maybe just not gonna be possible for me ?

anyone ever heard of this ?

tis a bit of a bastard as I was hoping to develop the technique and improve speed/accuracy etc, wasn't impressed when this happened :(

• Members

Your "sensation" is pretty broad.

It could be a nerve problem. Some people with slipped or damaged discs can feel numbing or soft sensations while playing.

Maybe the onslaught of tendinitis, or a neurological reaction.

If it is the latter, it is just about practice. Are your fingers bent enough? Some people when trying to play with their thumb 3/4 down tend to straighten out their fingers to stretch and this is a big no-no.

Many fingers actually are better played without your thumb so far back. This 3/4 back style though is usually adopted for very high interval phrasings, and should not be stagnate through your playing.

Try warming up and adjust your positions, other than that I do not have enough details to give you a 100% accurate answer :thu:

Archived