great info on harmonies used in various types of jazz

astring

• Members

Cool. I'm just finding out about that site, probably due to gennation.

Hey, astring, cool new avatar. Didn't you used to have Pops?

By the way, he's on the cover of Jazz Improv this month with an incredible article. A keeper if you're into the man and his music. Price is much better at B&N--about $10 cheaper than the website.

• Members

Yeah, that sites is the bomb!!!

There's some serious pro's that hang out there. It's about 10 notches up even from TGP!

There's a few different kind of "jazz harmonies". There's the big plushy/extended sound of someone like Joe Pass or Tal Farlow. Many of these chords are based on concepts that fit with the "Chord Formula" / Diatonic exteded chord building. IOW, using the b9, 9, #9, 11, #11, 13, b13, etc... in their voicing...Ted Greene's Chord Chemistry shows this to a tee. These work great for solo guitar when your voiving don't have to fit with the voicings other players are doing.

Then there the more thinner type chords, using just the Root's, 3rd's, and 5th's. Maybe even leaving off the Root. These chords a re great when playing with ither musicians. There's less color, but the point is still driven home. You heard these chords a lot when people "comp" over progessions, like a bluesy jazz tune. The are very tight and precise. People some times refer to them as the "Grant Green chords". If you go to http://guitarplayertv.com and find the Jazz Alchamy videos by Mimi Fox, sh'ell show you exactly how they are used.

Another kind is the "modal chords". I called them Modal grips, since on guitar the are VERY east to grap and memorize. These are the types of chord someone like Bill Evans (pianist with Miles Davis) used to help bring a whole new way of comp'ing over ONE chord. If you listen to So What and realize they are staying on one chord for a while, but Bills chords/grips make it sound like all these other chords that are basically the SAME chords. You can go to http://lessons.mikedodge.com and read through the Modal Grips tutorial for these.

Then there's the approaches the fusion players use. Some players (ala Dimeola, Mclaughlin, etc...) almost treat each chord as it's own Key for it's duration. This is way many of the songs aren't based on Diatonic type theory and the melody and solos almost "jump" to the new chord. Kind of like "disparite chords" in a way.

Those are a few basic "concepts" to try and divide out a few different types of jazz harmonies and how and when they might be used. It's scraping the surface though.

Now mix them all together and you got it ;)

• Members
I had Jimmy Smith's Back at the Chicken Shack, but a buddy painted this pic and I deemed it worthy

Oh, yeah, that's right. Sorry about the mixup.

Back at the Chicken Shack is massive.

Cool new av! Anyplace we can go to check out his other paintings?

Back on topic, I've been checking out that other forum. Great stuff.

They've got a Brazilian thread that's 30 pages long!:eek:

Pages and pages on the Epi Joe Pass. Wow.

• Members

Gennation has referred to All About Jazz forum and I found this over there, hope it is helpful. If I am not supposed to post this delete it, I am just trying to share some great info

astring, when you get a chance, look up EdByrne's website (you can get it from his profile). His credentials will make you say "can this REALLY be true?". He's the real deal!

There's a few others at that site who are ulra-heavy cats like that. I mean Pat Martino has his message board there!!!

Same goes for thegearpage.net if you've never been there. Heavy players over there...GIT teachers, National Guitar Workshop Teacher, as well as people playing with Jerry Goodman, Joe Z, Satch, Jeff Beck, etc...

• Members

Oh, yeah, that's right. Sorry about the mixup.

Back at the Chicken Shack is massive.

Cool new av! Anyplace we can go to check out his other paintings?

http://www.akhadourefineart.com/ look under our artists and click Robert Anderson

http://www.wildemeyer.com/anderson.php

these paintings are really "tame" because they are for commercial purposes, but his personal work gets pretty far out

Archived