Can anyone analyze this chord progression?

• Members

This is the best troll ever... some guy posts a chord progression that sounds bad, claims it's in 'A' winds everyone up and then disappears leaving everyone arguing over some crappy progression that sounds like a$$ and isn't actually in any particular key. :rolleyes:

On another note, what is the actual difference between a m5b and a diminished triad?

Surely Bm5b contains the notes B D F
Surely B diminished contains the notes B D F

I've never understood why people use both terms...?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
This is the best troll ever... some guy posts a chord progression that sounds bad, claims it's in 'A' winds everyone up and then disappears leaving everyone arguing over some crappy progression that sounds like a$$ and isn't actually in any particular key.
:rolleyes:

:thu:

On another note, what is the actual difference between a m5b and a diminished triad?

Surely Bm5b contains the notes B D F

Surely B diminished contains the notes B D F

I've never understood why people use both terms...?

Simple: Bmb5 isn't a real chord symbol. Well, at least it's not an accepted standard and not widely used by anyone. The symbol 'Bm7b5,' however, it common and accepted, though. 'Bmb5' is just a misapplication of the half-diminished 7th chord symbol when used to describe a diminished triad.

• Members
Simple: Bmb5 isn't a real chord symbol. Well, at least it's not an accepted standard and not widely used by anyone. The symbol 'Bm7b5,' however, it common and accepted, though. 'Bmb5' is just a misapplication of the half-diminished 7th chord symbol when used to describe a diminished triad.

OK, that makes sense - there's no such thing as a Bmb5 :D

But - i'm still not gettting something.

B

• Members

re: the original progression - like someone else said, it's all about context and voicing. I think that dubb's suggested voicing is probably as good as this is going to get on solo guitar. It would sound much better if you added bass and keys to the arrangement.

You can make pretty much any progression listenable if you're a creative arranger. Diatonic does not make something good, in fact - the opposite is often true. Most interesting progressions have chromatic elements. If you analyze most of Debussy's music, it doesn't make any sense if you were to attempt a standard analysis. He would often take one voicing (like a maj7) and move it all over the place. That kind of thing infuriated some critics and theorists in the day. Today, people call him a genius for the same reasons.

Basically, don't worry if it doesn't make sense. The rules are made to be broken.

Archived