Autumn Leaves

Jed

• Moderators
I think Jedl's pissed off cos he thinks alot of what Gennation says is his own personal view being passed off as established/accepted musical thought, when maybe sometimes it isn't?

Not so much "pissed-off" as mildly annoyed. ;) There is a fundamental difference between how Gennation approaches music theory and the teaching of music concepts and how I approach those same topics.

He's a "bring enough fish to feed the whole party" type of guy. He presents generalized solutions to common problems, both here and via his website.

I'm a "teach them how to fish for themselves" type of guy. I encourage people to find their own solutions, based on the underlying logic of music theory.

He may think my approach is excessively theoretical, traditional maybe even stodgy. I see his approach sometimes as overly generalized and hence not always as accurate or complete as it might be. And yes, I do sometimes see things that read like opinions presented as "facts". Neither of us has any issues personally with the other. Our recent and past "issues" have more to do with the 2nd and 3rd paragraphs above than anything else.

I found some of his language in another post somewhat dismissive and IMO inaccurate. Whenever I hear dismissive and/or inaccurate language, I respond regardless of who it is. Every forum member has a right to express their opinions and perspectives, regardless of their post count.

I don't feel threatened by or envious of Gennation's standing in this forum and I am not inclined to be-smudge his good name. But I will hold his feet to the fire when I feel he's being inaccurate on some particular issue, just as I would anyone. Since I did not attack Gennation publicly or privately, I hadn't planned to respond to his first post in this thread . . . but this thread has since taken on a life of it's own I felt compelled to explain my position.

cheers,

Archived