Advice needed on left/right hand coordination

piper19

• Members

Hi all,

I've been using Troy Stetina's speed mechanics book last weeks, and I've come to the right hand...It starts with single string picking on an open string. I can keep track on the metronome to about 200 bpm sixteenth notes.

The next exercise uses a chromatic sequence on 1 string like 1-2-3-4-2-3-4-5-3-4-5-6-....

Here I loose track at about 100 bpm sixteenth notes. It seems like my third finger skips and doesn't go all the way down, or goes together with the pinkie on the fourth beat.

You guys have any more exercises or advice on what I should be working on?

Btw, this book helped me a lot on the strength of my pinkie.:thu: worth it

• Members

Slow IS fast....slow it down. It should be PAINFULLY slow. Every movement your hands make should be as economical as possible. Take time to assess the best possible fingering and picking for the particular phrase you are playing.

I don't buy into statements like "Always use alternate picking..." or "Never anchor your right hand..." Whatever you must do to play the phrase cleanly and accurately is the best way to do it.

• Members

Try the exercise hitting the string 4 times per note, then 2 times, then 1 time (as the exercise should be played). The right hand is picking fast, but you're giving the left hand time to 'think', might help you break through.

Apart from that, just practice... alot... preferably at a speed where you can play accurately and in time.

Archived