A little Modal Jam for you to mess with...

gennation

• Members

Here's the backing track...

http://test.mikedodge.com/mvdmusic/miked/elephantbacking.mp3

The chords are these:

4/4 ||: Em | Em9 | C#m7 | Cmaj7 :||

Make sure you repeat is as the "trick" (if there is one) is not only to change scale over C#m7 but to be able to resolve to Cmaj7 then again to Em.

Here's the chord forms I use most for it...

Also, the song is named "Elephant", can you hear the elephant sounds I copped in the solo???

Try it and post up what you got.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Haha, flattery will get you everywhere :)

Just start messing with it. If you have an audio program you can slow it down too. The suggestion of ONLY starting with the Min Pent scales is a great to start seeing the "modal map".

Try only this area for Em...

E-----------------

B----------------12--15

G-------12--14--------

D---14--------------

A-----------------

E-----------------

Then just MOVE IT DOWN 3 frets to C# Min Pent...

E------------------

B--------------9--12----

G------9--11-----------

D--11-----------------

A--------------------

E--------------------

Notice the 3 fret thing...this is the min3rd idea you heard in most of the Modern Modal classics.

Then for Cmaj7 you can find it as nothing but an E Min Pent back up three frets were you were. Then just continue to play there for Em as well.

So. if you already can play E Min Pent, you only need to move it down 3 frets for C#m and then back up three frets for Cmaj7.

I really recommend taking the time to check this "3 fret" idea out it's very easy to "nail the changes" when you do it and it will definitely sound like you know where your going too. It's great inspiration fodder if your try to get a hold on playing over chords.

• Members

Are you still living out on Michigan's west coast? I would love to take lessons from you but I'm out in the Ann Arbor area.

mosiddiqi, thx and no problem. Look forward to hearing what you come up with. It's a fun progression.

RedYagiDY, I'm pretty much in GR. I you're ever interested...I have people who drive in from around the state for one-off 2-3 hours sessions. Like during a Saturday afternoon or something like that. Also, I've really been itching to put together a Guitar Learning Seminar where myself and a few buddies teach full class lessons through a day. Nothings transpired on it yet but we've been talking about it a little more. I'll let you know if that comes up. But if you're ever in the area and want to schedule some time let me know.

Also...I'm going to be in Ann Arbor April 4th for the Mclaughlin and Corea show at Hill Auditorium. You should check it out.

• Members

mosiddiqi, thx and no problem. Look forward to hearing what you come up with. It's a fun progression.

RedYagiDY, I'm pretty much in GR. I you're ever interested...I have people who drive in from around the state for one-off 2-3 hours sessions. Like during a Saturday afternoon or something like that. Also, I've really been itching to put together a Guitar Learning Seminar where myself and a few buddies teach full class lessons through a day. Nothings transpired on it yet but we've been talking about it a little more. I'll let you know if that comes up. But if you're ever in the area and want to schedule some time let me know.

Also...I'm going to be in Ann Arbor April 4th for the Mclaughlin and Corea show at Hill Auditorium. You should check it out.

I've taught lessons via Skype and it works pretty well. It can work as an alternative to long distance lesson commutes.

Cool chord progression! I think it'd be neat if a bunch of people put it on their computers, solo-ed on it, then all of the solos are pasted together in a mega-LL-jam. waddya think?

• Members

Nice chord progression and good lead over the top of it.

I think it's a great idea to encourage people here to submit their own playing samples over a track like this. That opens up even more educational opportunities here, to be able to hear a variety of approaches to a given musical situation. Good work Mike.

So now... who's going to be the first to post their example over Mike's example?

• Members

Thanks Jas. I would too like to hear some others play through it.

The bare bones idea really is E Min Pent and C# Min Pent. With just those two scales you can get the thing moving.

For my take it took me a few hours to come up with the parts then a few times to record it all the way through. It's a great challenge and a good exercise in following the changes. It's a little tough though that the C#m sound only last one measure, by the time you are in C# Min Pent it's already time to move back to E Min Pent.

• Members
I had a go.

The production is a bit {censored}. It's one take, and I pretty much just played what the hell ever.
:o

So.... yeah.
:rawk:

Way to go Phlat. There's was a couple of times I thought you were going to bust into some string bending :) Sounded great.

It also made me realize I NEED to get a nylon string guitar, I love the sound of nylon playing with and electric background, or even an acoustic background.

• Members
Way to go Phlat. There's was a couple of times I thought you were going to bust into some string bending
:)
Sounded great.

It also made me realize I NEED to get a nylon string guitar, I love the sound of nylon playing with and electric background, or even an acoustic background.

String bending is something I can't get into on a Spanish guitar. I have been doing a lot of wide glissando stuff lately, actually quite similar to the Indian-inspired stuff you posted at one point (which is like... one and a half years ago now?), but for some reason that didn't come out at all for this take. Perhaps because I haven't really put that in a jazz-ish context yet.

• Members

String bending is something I can't get into on a Spanish guitar. I have been doing a lot of wide glissando stuff lately, actually quite similar to the Indian-inspired stuff you posted at one point (which is like... one and a half years ago now?), but for some reason that didn't come out at all for this take. Perhaps because I haven't really put that in a jazz-ish context yet.

Yeah, string bending on a nylon string can be rough. What I meant what you were tearing it up at one point I thought you were jut going to grab a string and stretch it off the neck. You were bringing it to that "height" or level.

I did use a little of that sliding stuff in my take. between the second and third pass I think it was. I used sparingly, sometimes in places I wouldn't expect it, and usually it's not necessarily in the Indian vane but is just kind of in my style now I guess.

• Members
Yeah, string bending on a nylon string can be rough. What I meant what you were tearing it up at one point I thought you were jut going to grab a string and stretch it off the neck. You were bringing it to that "height" or level.

That would'be been cool. I might try that some time. :D

Now come on, people, post your takes...

• Members

Nice chord progression and good lead over the top of it.

I think it's a great idea to encourage people here to submit their own playing samples over a track like this. That opens up even more educational opportunities here, to be able to
hear
a variety of approaches to a given musical situation. Good work Mike.

So now... who's going to be the first to post their example over Mike's example?

I will definitely try my best to post something tomorrow - I'm much too tired tonight and I'm off on holiday on Friday so either Wednesday or Thursday I'll try to make a little contribution.

• Members

Ok, I've had a go..apologies in advance for tone, taste, note choice etc..:o :o
I don't think I exactly stuck to the lesson genn!..but, it's one take and how I was hearing it..

http://www.box.net/shared/ec35xvomu7

btw I LOVED Phlats take as well...a million miles away from what I would even consider..which I think is the really interesting thing here. C'mon the rest of you! :o

• Members
Ok, I've had a go..apologies in advance for tone, taste, note choice etc..

I don't think I exactly stuck to the lesson genn!..but, it's one take and how I was hearing it..

http://www.box.net/shared/ec35xvomu7

btw I LOVED Phlats take as well...a million miles away from what I would even consider..which I think is the really interesting thing here. C'mon the rest of you!

Excellent take mos. You got some good ideas there! Some nice sneaky lines that land right on their feet. If you can play over it already, you don't need any lessons from me. I like the octave and two-note stuff, it's a nice mix with the single-note lines.

• Members

I made a quick recording tonight. There are some duff notes and bends in there I know. No excuse for sloppiness. :cop:

Constructive criticism is very welcome. In terms of what I did, I honestly don't know. I guess I was thinking Dorian most of the time and just trying to play some intervallic type licks and throw in a few arpeggio type ideas along the way too.

Phlat - I liked the idea of having acoustic guitar over that backing. It's almost Di Meola sounding.

Mossidiqi - Great tone, man. I like your playing too, very melodic and you managed to throw some cool sounding outside lines in there.

• Members

^^^

TheGareth, I really liked your phrasing, you took your time which is always nice to hear as most rock players like me just want to play all the time!. Some of your phrasing sounded very "un-guitarist" to me..which I think is very cool. :thu:..thanks for the kind words about my wankage/tone. Strat for me, pretty much always.

Genn: I'm not worthy! :o :o :o...thank you. I think it was only in a couple of places where I conciously tried to outline the C#min/Cmaj7 change with arpeggios...the rest was winging it.

• Members

Jon's solo

OK, OK, OK..... It felt wrong to make that suggestion, then not contribute one of my own. My rules (for me) were simple:

-Be finished in 30 minutes or less.

-Don't think. Just play.

Of course, if I spent more time on it, it would sound better. But unless I start practicing this skill of turning it over quickly (I do great when I have unlimited time frame...), I won't let myself release anything. Perfectionism is a sword that cuts both ways.

Your solos sound great! Keep 'em coming! anyone want to compile them in to a mega jam?

Archived