Help! Need fretting suggestions

• Members

I am a noob, using fretboard logic. I am having trouble with a couple forms, I can't seem to make them without deadening nearby strings. I have tried changing hand positions, moving the guitar farther, moving the guitar closer, raising the neck to a more classical position, lowering the neck. I understand the importance of the forms being practiced cleanly, so all notes ring, but the C form especially is hard for me without muffling the High E string for some reason. Also A form, squeezing into the same fret space is challenging. Any ideas or suggestions will be appreciated.....

• Members

The fingers of the fretting hand really need to be arced to avoid the deadening. Typically the problem is from poor thumb position on the back of the neck. It should ride down the middle of the back of the neck. A lot of beginners grab it like a baseball bat. Your palm shouldnt touch the back of the neck at this stage in your development.

As Jasco said this is a very typical noob issue. Practice and time will clear it up.

• Members

The fingers of the fretting hand really need to be arced to avoid the deadening. Typically the problem is from poor thumb position on the back of the neck. It should ride down the middle of the back of the neck. A lot of beginners grab it like a baseball bat. Your palm shouldnt touch the back of the neck at this stage in your development.

As Jasco said this is a very typical noob issue. Practice and time will clear it up.

Practical advice, thanks for the direction....

Archived