Problems Holding The Pick

• Members

There are a couple variations of picks out there which have added grip, usually done simply with smal holes, rubber or in some case a star shaped cut out in the center of the pick with helps grib to your thumb.

Something like this:
http://www.wwbw.com/Everly-Star-Grip-Guitar-Pick-Dozen-110780-i1123808.wwbw?source=TWFRWXX&mr:trackingCode=38602571-0319-DE11-9BD3-0019B9C2BEFD&mr:referralID=NA

• Moderators

I rough-up the surfaces of my picks. In the winter, when my hands are really dry and can't grip, I use a bit of rosin and the picks stick right to my fingers. I picked up some bow rosin for a contra-bass for a couple of bucks. Works like a charm, I doubt I'll need it in the summer but when it's really dry (winter) it helps a lot.

cheers,

• Members
Quick question:

I often lose grip of the pick when soloing, resulting in missed notes or lost time. Does anyone know of any picks which are easy to hold or have any tricks to make it easier?

I used to drop my pick all the time. I usually use thick picks so in order to get a soft sound strumming i'd need a particularly loose grip.

Several years of intense practice later and I no longer drop my pick. Maybe once a year.

I don't doubt that there are picks with better grips or perhaps technique adjustments you could make, but straightforward practice will get you there too.

This is my holy grail pick now, for all guitar applications. It's a medium but it's still quite stiff, no flopping. Also, I use a three-finger grip when I don't need to hybrid pick.:

238423.jpg

• Members

Thanks all - I think I'll order some of those with the hole in the middle.

I don't doubt that there are picks with better grips or perhaps technique adjustments you could make, but straightforward practice will get you there too.

I agree, but it is bothersome when I get to the point where I get down the fingering and picking of a song/solo, only to lose the grip on the pick (I hardly ever drop them, just lose the grip).

Archived