Relative keys?

• Members

I'm basically a newbie to theory, but everytime I learn something new theory wise I immediately apply it to my playing. I am obtuse, it takes a whap on the head and an explanation that one would use to inform a 6 year old to get to me.

Last night my band was "creating" and we were playing a riff based song using A major scale. My pianist told me to play F# pentatonic minor over it and it would sound good due to relative keys. I see that many of the notes of box 2 of F# minor pent. fall over box 1 of A major, obviously that is why it sounds good.

So am I understand that I can play a minor pentatonic, and then play the major scale with a root 4 frets down? Please correct me if I am wrong, and in any case shoot me some links that explain this business or just explain it to me. Thanks!

• Members

Man, sounds like you got it. I'm new to theory myself but basically thats an easy way to start soloing and a lot of songs are based on that shape of the pentatonic scale played in the very way you are describing.

I think most people around here recommend Mike Dogde's site for theory and after working there myself I have to agree it is fantastic, thorough and pretty easy to understand.

http://lessons.mikedodge.com

check it out

• Members
I'm basically a newbie to theory, but everytime I learn something new theory wise I immediately apply it to my playing. I am obtuse, it takes a whap on the head and an explanation that one would use to inform a 6 year old to get to me.

Last night my band was "creating" and we were playing a riff based song using A major scale. My pianist told me to play F# pentatonic minor over it and it would sound good due to relative keys. I see that many of the notes of box 2 of F# minor pent. fall over box 1 of A major, obviously that is why it sounds good.

So am I understand that I can play a minor pentatonic, and then play the major scale with a root 4 frets down? Please correct me if I am wrong, and in any case shoot me some links that explain this business or just explain it to me. Thanks!

It would be 4 frets up.A is the b3 of F# minor

• Members

A major and F#minor are related because they have the exact same notes.

You don't need to switch scale positions to play one or the other. If you are playing a pattern that is A major, you are also playing a pattern that is F# minor. Same thing.

In standard pentatonic scale fingerings, there are 5 shapes. That means you have 5 shapes that are A major. Those exact same 5 shapes at the same frets are also F#minor.

Another way to understand it is to write out the notes:

A major pentatonic = A B C# E F#

F#minor pentatonic = F# A B C# E

Same set of notes.

So when you a practicing a pentatonic scale pattern next time, make sure you know both the major key and minor key you are playing in.

Archived