Solo Guitar Concepts - Part 2 - Bossa Nova and Samba

• Members

Hi I'm learning some bossanova. but what is Bb7#11
:confused:

I have trouble working out extensions.

Also near the end you played some swing music, any chance of a tab for that?

Scooter,

A Bb7#11 is a chord that contains the following notes (it doesn't need to include all of them, but htis is the spelling): Bb, D, F, Ab and E. I may have actually played a Bb9#11, which would also include the note C.

The voicing I may have used (I am not able to watch the video right now to jog my memory) is this: play the 6th fret of the low E string, skip the A string, play the 6th fret of the D string, and the 5th fret of the G and B strings. That gives you (from low to high): Bb, Ab, C and E, the Root, 7th, 9th and #11 of the chord... enough to imply the sound of that tonality.

As far as tabnbing anything, I am too lazy to do it... I may, at some point, but for now, sadly there will be no tabs.

Mrs. Ball will be issuing no treats this year!!!

LOL

• Members

Not meaning to sound like a goof but personally I am a fan of no tabs man, forces interested parties to use their eyes and ears. Maybe that is the true pre-requisite required : )

Like Sean's lessons I don't really see these as real beginner stuff. Plus the techniques aren't really chord specific. These concepts can be applied to any chord structure. That's the real gold.

Danny you'll be happy to hear I peeled out some of these concepts during a warm up improv at a session last night. The boys were ALL over that stank! Was fun. Cheers

• Members

Scooter,

A Bb7#11 is a chord that contains the following notes (it doesn't need to include all of them, but htis is the spelling): Bb, D, F, Ab and E. I may have actually played a Bb9#11, which would also include the note C.

The voicing I may have used (I am not able to watch the video right now to jog my memory) is this: play the 6th fret of the low E string, skip the A string, play the 6th fret of the D string, and the 5th fret of the G and B strings. That gives you (from low to high): Bb, Ab, C and E, the Root, 7th, 9th and #11 of the chord... enough to imply the sound of that tonality.

As far as tabnbing anything, I am too lazy to do it... I may, at some point, but for now, sadly there will be no tabs.

Mrs. Ball will be issuing no treats this year!!!

LOL

Ok, if no tabs what about just chord names used to give me something, i can read sheet music but thats even harder to post ;) thx

• Members

Not meaning to sound like a goof but personally I am a fan of no tabs man, forces interested parties to use their eyes and ears. Maybe that is the true pre-requisite required : )

Like Sean's lessons I don't really see these as real beginner stuff. Plus the techniques aren't really chord specific. These concepts can be applied to any chord structure. That's the real gold.

Danny you'll be happy to hear I peeled out some of these concepts during a warm up improv at a session last night. The boys were ALL over that stank! Was fun. Cheers

Jeremy... I am glad you got to bust out some of the new chops and they were jam-buddy approved.... That makes me happy...

And YES... you are 100% correct... I am PURPOSELY trying to obscure the SPECIFITIES of any of these exercises melodic/rhythmic/harmonic implications, so that people learn the CONCEPTS not the LICKS... Hence Solo Guitar CONCEPTS..... I know I show specific grooves and songs and whatnot... but the point is not those specific things, it's gaining facility to be able to apply the IDEA toward ANYTHING... ANY style.. ANY tempo... etc.

I really like books like the Mick Goodrick books, the Wayne Krantz improv book, and things of that sort, where all you are given is information. puer, unadulterated information. How you use it is totally up to you.

I could do a whole series of videos or articles/essays about JUST playing the reggae style that I do.... I could certainly make a book out of it... But, if a person dislikes reggae, they should STILL be able to use the techniques and ideas I used in those reggae grooves to generate some indie rock grooves, or funk, or salsa...

ALSO, thanks to Jon Finn for being the guy that actually tabbed out the Bb7#11 for the good of a fellow reader. Jon, you are a scholar and a gentleman... Oh, and I liked your Minor backing track jammie... it was tasty and nice... I may play on it one of these days too... just to post one, warts and all...

Anyways... TGIF, bitches... when I get home today, I may possibly do a quick introduction to percussive techniques... backbeat accents, slap/pop, etc.

Maybe... We'll see... It'll either be that, or an introduction to arranging tunes for solo guitar....

• Members

Sorry, guys.. I have been slacking on the next installment, but I figured I would also ask, while I am here.... What should I do for the next installment?? Staert talking about percussive techniques (slap/pop, harmonics, backbeat tapping, dead notes, etc.) or start talking about creating arrangements for solo guitar?!?!?

I think that both are important topics to get into... Just let me know which seems more appealing??

OR, we could also do a quick lesson talking about chord voicings and how to get the most milage out of the fretboard by making up your own voicings that are not necessarily in common use...

Let me know your thoughts... I will probably free up to record the next installment by mid week (tuesday/wednesday...)

Rock y Roll.

• Members

I think both would be interesting and important, but my vote is for the percussive video, because it seems to build from the last couple of lessons (technique-wise), and also if I'm interested in creating a solo guitar arrangement I might want to incorporate those percussive techniques into it, know what I mean?

Either way though, I'm sure I'll watch lots and learn lots. :thu:

• Members

These videos are absolutely fantastic. If you want another opinion on where to go from here I would stick with fundamentals and maybe some more specifics on technique in regards to the picking hand.

I absolutely loved it when you switched between swing style and samba style. I find it so cool how changing the rhythm changes the feel so much. I think having dynamic rhythm is the weakest part of my playing and any more light you can shed on rhythm and styles would be greatly appreciated.

Archived