What order if any do you teach these chords?

• Members

I'm trying to put together a solid beginners course and looking for some input. Looking at the chords A C D E F G A- D- E- A7 B7 C7 D7 E7 and G7 as first set of chords a student should learn.

So far I teach them starting with D7 but still not sure of the most practical order to introduce them.

• Members

I've never taught anyone, but if I did..I'd want them to be able to play a song as quickly as possible..so I'd probably teach them A Major, D Major and E Major..and then {censored}loads of songs.

Or even D Major and D sus 4..just add a finger..and they can then play the intro to Queens "Crazy little thing called love"

• Members

For raw beginners, I'll start with Em, because it's the easiest chord to play.

Then we'll add one finger to make it E.

Then we'll shift that shape over a string to make it Am.

Next we'll make a little imitation flamenco tune with Am, E, and the E shape up one fret ( F/E )

After that I'll add A and D and start doing easy I IV V tunes like Wild Thing, Louie Louie, Twist and Shout, ect...

When I'm teaching kids under 7 or 8 years old, we'll start with a one-finger G (3rd finger 3rd fret high E, strum four high strings) and a one finger C (1st finger 1st fret B, strum three high strings.

• Members

I teach the 8 basic open position shapes ("cowboy chords") first:
C G D A E Em Am Dm.
Depending on the student, I might go for the easiest first (Em, E, Am, D), with Dm being the least important. (Most students, of all ages, have trouble with C and G, and in those case I might offer easy 4-string versions to begin with.)

I would then find songs using those chords, as practice aids. ("Hey Joe" is great for the 5 major chords.)

The first 7ths I would teach would be G7, D7, A7, E7, B7. (Because those are usually the first ones encountered in songs.)
By that stage I might introduce the other kinds of 7th, at least maj7s and m7s - which are not generally harder (and often easier) than the triads. (Again I would find songs that used them.)

Because I use well-known songs, barre chords can be an issue. It's hard to find good songs in easy keys that don't contain an F or Bm somewhere! But I do try to put that stage off for as long as possible.;)

• Members

In addition to the ones JonR mentioned you might want to add the G7 chord to help get those fingers stretching.

In regards to stretching, I found this one of the best videos in demonstrating good stretching exercises for guitar players.

[YOUTUBE]7ss6EaCz6WI&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

For raw beginners, I'll start with Em, because it's the easiest chord to play.

Then we'll add one finger to make it E.

Then we'll shift that shape over a string to make it Am.

Next we'll make a little imitation flamenco tune with Am, E, and the E shape up one fret ( F/E )

After that I'll add A and D and start doing easy I IV V tunes like Wild Thing, Louie Louie, Twist and Shout, ect...

When I'm teaching kids under 7 or 8 years old, we'll start with a one-finger G (3rd finger 3rd fret high E, strum four high strings) and a one finger C (1st finger 1st fret B, strum three high strings.

That's really good.

• Members
Anyone have a list of songs they care to give up on what are good beginning songs? I like the suggestions so far, my mind goes blank when I try to think of some.

Knocking on Heaven's Door (requires G, D, Am, C)
Helpless (Neil Young) (G, D, C - very close cousin of the above ;))
Wonderful Tonight (G, D, C, Em - include G7 and D/F# for a slighly more "advanced" version)

Archived