Cop some Jazz Lines: Love Being Here With You

• Members

Back in 2005 we used to play this tune and it has a very common jazz blues/jump blues progressionin it as well as Rhythm Changes for the bridge. So it's a great "learning tune" for someone.

Back then I worked up a basis of things to play off when I had to solo over it, kind of like springboard ideas/lines. I've had this chart/lesson on my computer since about 2006 or so and recently ran into it and thought I'd post it as is.

The chords have all the common ways of playing the I-IV-V with all the V-I's and dim7 subs, etc...I listed them as full chords but in application in a band I would probably only be playing the notes on the D G and B strings for the most part when comp'ing.

The lines are melody driven but contain a lot of arps, subs, diminished forms, Lydian Dom hints, chromatics, symmetric, etc...they are full of a bunch cools things all tied together...and it's more playing FROM chord TO chord than thinking scales playing OVER each chord. I would even bother with a "what scale" approach to this stuff. Just learn you let this type of "playing in a direction" sink into your playing. Playing always supersedes "theory", this is a good example. Just learn how to get from where you are to where you want to go.

I should also note that the turnaround on both choruses are different in length so be aware how the lines resolve at the end of each chorus if you're trying memorize turnaround lines...as they both don't cover the chords the same, because the chord durations are different. We did it this way just to keep the rhythm section on their toes and it whipped the turnaround around nicely 'throwing' the next soloist right in, in midstream kind of.

The chart has the chord and lead staffs.

Here's the MIDI file: http://test.mikedodge.com/mvdmusic/Lessons/LoveBeingHereWithYou/LoveBeingHereWithYou.mid

And if you still use PowerTab here's the .ptb file: http://test.mikedodge.com/mvdmusic/Lessons/LoveBeingHereWithYou/LoveBeingHereWithYou.ptb

Yes it's PowerTab, so if you want to be nitpicky on the chart...have at it, it's your time spent not mine ;) IOW, I didn't write the program and after four years, I'm not charting it again :p And, I threw on the first measure for the click in only, so disregard it...

the good stuff is in the lines anyways.

(now lets see if these PowerTab bmp file even line up...it's going to look hairy I'm sure)

I Love Being Here With You

1LoveBeingHereWithYou.jpg

2LoveBeingHereWithYou.jpg

3LoveBeingHereWithYou.jpg

5LoveBeingHereWithYou.jpg

6LoveBeingHereWithYou.jpg

7LoveBeingHereWithYou.jpg

8LoveBeingHereWithYou.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Honestly?

No.

I have a few things I'm working on right now and want to stay focused. It's hard for me to do that so I have to avoid going off on tangents.

However, I didn't feel your thread should be ignored because it's got some good stuff in it.

I can't believe no one else has commented on it.

Archived