Bonus from the session last night...

• Members

(since the the old thread took a strange turn and locked, I'm back to catch up...)

One of the songs on the session last night was one of MY compositions!!! Surprise!

It was a tune I submitted to him last year. It's going to be included on the CD.

Funny, as I was sitting at the bar waiting to go to the studio I got a text from the engineer...it says..."Hey, just got a bad splinter in my head. Not a big deal, but I'm heading to urgent care to see if I need stitched. I can still record tonight...just not at 6."

His studio is in another guys place, and I knew the other was leaving so I went over there to catch him to get access to his place and so anyone else showing up would be stuck out in the cold. I headed up hanging out with the wife (a friend) of the guy whose place is. I thought she would be out too but either way she's great company.

The engineer came in about 2 hours later with two staples in his head. He said the gash didn't hurt but he had a flap of scalp and hair flying around and knew he had better get it closed up.

There were three songs to record...one of which was the Charlie's Angels Theme Song :)

Last night started a busy spree...rehearsal tonight, show Friday, out of town Big Band show Saturday, rehearsal for the new burlesque show Sunday, Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and the premier of the new burlesque show Saturday the 16th. Of course. All of that on top of the fulltime job!

Also last night I had some good conversation with the guy who runs the burlesque show and they are hitting the road again at the end of March 2011. I'm am aiming for 14 days on the road with them this time if things hit right with weekends, locations, and stuff. Not sure which direction they will go but I know it will be south...then east or west from there is what I don't know.

• Members
We'll be onto Hot Girls of the Lesson Loft before we know it!
:love:

I can post pics from the burlesque show tour last august. Two weeks on an RV and in dressing rooms with the whole cast. It was a beautiful thing.

Pics will show it was a happening time ;)

• Members

Can I ask how someone like you chooses to partake in music as a second job?

You might not remember me, Mike, but I have spoken to you on your web chat before. I have used your lessons to a great extent. You taught me to think of music as parts of the chromatic scale in your advanced pentatonic lessons.

I have heard you play and you are phenomenal. You live a life guys like me wish they were good enough for.

• Members

Can I ask how someone like you chooses to partake in music as a second job?

You might not remember me, Mike, but I have spoken to you on your web chat before. I have used your lessons to a great extent. You taught me to think of music as parts of the chromatic scale in your advanced pentatonic lessons.

I have heard you play and you are phenomenal. You live a life guys like me wish they were good enough for.

Virg is partly right.

In a nutshell...

playing for a living wasn't that much fun after about 15 years of it. But, I ALWAYS went for the money (live, studio, teaching, etc...) and I found I really hated playing the same things over and over, and the same styles over and over. In other words, I was playing 70's and 80's rock live, but at home I was learning Chet Atkins, John Mclaughlin, Les Paul, etc...I felt like I was doing more music on account of others than for myself.

Now I have a solid job and can play in as many different situations as I want, even occasionally more based on wanting to try something new for the sake of it regardless of pay.

Just in the last year these have been my regular steady gigs:

Super Happy Funtime Burlesque Show (due to the cost of the ticket price we learn new music EVERY 2-3 months to keep giving the fans something new each time we come to there town)

The End Times Orchestra (we work in many facets, all original music, cover music, full dixieland band, various jazz combo situations, marching band, free jazz band, as well as are the house band for the burlesque show, etc...almost endless when it comes to 'what do we do')

The Rhythm Section Jazz Big Band (I've been doing this gig since August and have 5 shows under my belt with them, and plenty more through the end of the year)

These are some of the other one-off gigs I've been able to participate in:

Bitches Brew Tribute

Woman's Choir Events

Beatles Tribute

A Fusion recording and performance

70's Tribute Night

My own little fusion get together

Been on 3-4 CD releases

--------------------------------

A longer story of how I got here...

In the 70's and 80's I played for a living. Was able to do it with a wife and child too. Regardless though in 1990 I was pretty much done with music but was lucky enough to have found my next/new interest because of playing music for so long...electronics.

I was fixing stuff for years with no schematics or real know how except a couple of books to read and a natural knack for it. So I went back to school and graduated with a 4.0! Had my choice of about 5 jobs took the funnest and highest paying and here I am about 19 years later still working in the field, still with my wife and now we have 4 children (two out of high school even!)

While in school I worked at our local Press through the school part time, repaired stuff on the side, and taught guitar a few days/night a week. Other than the teaching I never pick the guitar at all, I was too busy with school and 3 part-time jobs essentially.

In the mid 90's I was writing a lot and had two original bands that were successful locally. During this writing period I stopped learning other peoples music completely, did my best to completely forget about theory so I could write as fresh as possible. In the 2004 I found a love for jazz so I started learning other people stuff again, learning to read music better, and delving deeper into theory. But I didn't really play with others that much, just studying and learning...making up for all those years I didn't the that kind of stuff.

In 2005 I started jamming with some "local legend" guys I knew from the70's as my introduction into playing more jazz and being forced to read charts. Then in 2006 I joined a jazz combo for about a year and when that fell apart I joined the burlesque show. The entourage of the burlesque show and the End Times Orchestra (they are really one in the same) put me in the middle of a lot of these situations I get offers for as all the killer working musicians follow (and even play in) the show when they don't have other commitments. It's put me right back in the middle of things.

Yes, I burn the candle at both ended and am usually waiting for 7-10 days of gigs, learning, and rehearsals to go by for me to have a a few days off. My wife is cool with it as I we have some good hangs on the days and nights I do have free. I'm very lucky to have such a cool wife!

Archived