Opening for Paul Gilbert

Jeff1979

• Members

Are you serious? You're opening for _Paul Gilbert_!? Where? What? Tell us more!

How do you impress him: start out by not trying to impress him. He's seen it all. If you're opening for him, impress him by opening well, warming the crowd like an opener is supposed to do. IMHO...

GaJ

• Members

Are you serious? You're opening for _Paul Gilbert_!? Where? What? Tell us more!

How do you impress him: start out by not trying to impress him. He's seen it all. If you're opening for him, impress him by opening well, warming the crowd like an opener is supposed to do. IMHO...

GaJ

November 9th, Southampton, here in the UK, im sooo looking forward to it, his managment (and i hope PG himself liked our stuff!!) asked us to do an acoustic half hour set, just us then Paul, he's just started his world tour for his new album....

Kinda getting nervous now

• Members

That's frickin' cool!!!

If they asked you to play, just do what you were doing when they heard you. There's no reason to think you need to do anymore than that because you already caught their attention or you already did something they liked.

Straight on, man!!!

Definitely report back.

• Members

Cheers guys :thu:

I will be taking a load of pictures, and more than likely, ill be a giddy kid when i meet him, just the whole watching them soundcheck etc is gonna be cool..

We've had to rework some of our songs for the acoustic side of things, sounding good though, i actually prefer some of them acoustic! Were going with 3 guitars, 2 vocalists, a bass and Matt (drummer) is working the percussion..

Ill be bringing a few Kodiak Jack tee's with me so if you Mr Gilbert with one on in the near future, my hassling of me to get him to take one will have worked! :wave:

• Members

Jeff, dude that's awesome!

That will be a heavy experience man. I know it's easy to say but just do what you do. Don't change a thing. You are the best YOU in the world and obviously you are doing something right if they asked you to open up. It's just another show with some fringe benefits.

He seems like just a great dude who just loves music. Plus there will be NO comparison so don't even try. I am not surprised I love your tunes.

Come back with pics and info!

• Members

be taking a load of pictures, and more than likely, ill be a giddy kid when i meet him, just the whole watching them soundcheck etc is gonna be cool..

We've had to rework some of our songs for the acoustic side of things, sounding good though, i actually prefer some of them acoustic! Were going with 3 guitars, 2 vocalists, a bass and Matt (drummer) is working the percussion..

Ill be bringing a few Kodiak Jack tee's with me so if you Mr Gilbert with one on in the near future, my hassling of me to get him to take one will have worked!
:wave:

Congrats, broseph. That's great news. Rock the show!!!

• Members

Awesome! Congrats!

Big fan. Easy because he is such a cool guy! Not one that goes spouting about how he is better than this guy or that dude. Too much class.

Ask him about his vintage guitars. That should get him talking(if you get a chance)

I will be waiting for the skinny.

• Members

One other thing: You'll probably find that doing an acoustic set will be a big advantage for you. For that matter, the entire show.

Last year I did a couple of gigs opening for Steve Morse Band. The first was with the whole band. The second was a duo (me and the bass player).

Both shows went great. But when we did the duo set, it felt better for the entire show. When Steve Morse came out, there was a natural crescendo. As the openers, we didn't burn the audience out with volume.

Steve even mentioned us during the set!

Play your ass off, but bear in mind that your audience has limits as to how many guitar solos it can listen to.

• Members

One other thing: You'll probably find that doing an acoustic set will be a big advantage for you. For that matter, the entire show.

Last year I did a couple of gigs opening for Steve Morse Band. The first was with the whole band. The second was a duo (me and the bass player).

Both shows went great. But when we did the duo set, it felt better for the entire show. When Steve Morse came out, there was a natural crescendo. As the openers, we didn't burn the audience out with volume.

Steve even mentioned us during the set!

Play your ass off, but bear in mind that your audience has limits as to how many guitar solos it can listen to.

Yeah our singer was like "you need to show off your skills Jeff" but, its a Paul Gilbert gig, and no way am i near him, if it was an electric gig, yeah maybe, i might give it a go???, but with acoustic stuff we can be kinda kooky and it will show off our songs as a band, i much prefer that, without drums as well we've kinda had to think outside the box.

I think playing acoustic will show us off alot more myself, shows we got the songs and the skills to take whats thrown at us....

Were booked in to a studio as of tomorrow for a few day recording the new EP so that will give us some good band time to finalize the set. Got ourselves a warm up show next week aswell to sort any hiccups out..

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Well we played the show!!

It was really good, we played really well (so we were told), Paul was awsome, got to watch them soundcheck and they were amazing, such a tight band, felt like a great honour to open for him.

Met him afterwards and he was great, asked him to phone my brother, which he did as he couldnt be there!

So a couple of pictures for you, my lame (was acoustic) pedal board next to pauls, and a few of us with him, plus me looking like a monkey for some reason in the last one!!

All in all a great night!!

148129_495053320066_32557825066_7509254_

74406_495329575066_32557825066_7511115_1

75637_495338435066_32557825066_7511171_2

77129_495338690066_32557825066_7511172_1

74268_495338175066_32557825066_7511168_6

Archived