Major Chord Ballad BT Jam!

• Members

Something a bit different this time.
:)
I "borrowed"
:o
the chord progression from a soul classic that you may recognise
;)
and put this BT together again using Addictive Drums and Guitar Rig.

For those here that might need a pointer, the chords are AMaj/EMaj..then AMaj/C#Maj/DMaj/FMaj, then after that repeats it changes key and goes BbMaj/FMaj/BbMaj/F#Maj. Lot's of Major chords there with some unusual (to me at least) changes.

I'm not really used to playing over this type of track, and to help me keep it melodic, I switched off the distortion
:eek:
and kind of imagined an almost Hank Marvin vibe..
:eek:
:eek: I played what I could hear, and the end result is perhaps a bit on the "safe" side..but hey!..it's all good practise!.

Here it is:

http://www.box.net/shared/53a8sjjx66xda0herqkd

And my take:

http://www.box.net/shared/ae1h89s5758u9o6krznt

Have at it!
:rawk:

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'll take a stab at it. As per tradition, 1 live take ;)

PS: I'll make sure I'll breath through it this time!

I really like the choice of notes you used in your take. Also, there were a couple of moments where I anticipated you'd let go, but instead you restrained... very interesting.

• Members

Mo, could you post some of the presets you use for guitar rig?
:D

:D..the rhythm guitar was just the "Twang Reverb" model on it's default setting, and the lead guitar was the "Tweed Delight" on it's "crunch" setting with the Studio Reverb set to "slapback". I used my Strat with Kinman pickups..all on the bridge.

• Members

No, I'm not from the MMA Forms

I'm troubled with this Mo. Any advice on approaches, what scales to use for example? For the first part I kinda get it, but then I'm lost

I think the simplest way is to follow the chords Alex...no doubt others will have other approaches, but if I'm stuck I always find this works for me. So, you're happy with the A Maj to E Maj part?...then for the other chords, think of targeting the root, third or fifth of each chord..make sure you know what those notes are for each chord and practise landing on one of those notes as you play from chord to chord...and don't be afraid to play NOTHING..leave space. In a slow ballad like this, us guitar players sometimes overplay I think, I certainly do :D..so it's good practise to just leave space and then play notes that fit the chord like a glove.

• Members

(BTW, I had to change your count-in, the clicks were set to a different meter.)

I was wondering why it took me a long time to match the tempo on this tune. I was starting Logic's click at the start of the file, and I was wondering why I couldn't get it to match up. I had to drag the file so the first beat of the song lined up w/ my bar marker, then it was quick to match, but it did make me scratch my head a bit. I like to set the tempo in Logic to match these tracks because it makes it a lot easier to loop sections or mark them off.

Can't listen to anyone's take until I try my own, but that probably wont be until the weekend. Looking forward to hear what everyone's done on this.

• Members
Very nice job Jon! Loved all the double stop stuff. Really nice melodic-ism throughout.

Great to hear you in on this....

Thanks jeremy. I meant to have a go at the mixolydian one (a nice groove), but there was so much great stuff posted on that before I got myself together. (Not that it's a competition, of course... ;))

• Members

I'm a sucker for this kind of stuff, so here's my attempt.

(BTW, I had to change your count-in, the clicks were set to a different meter.)

That's really tasty and tuneful Jon!..loved it!..especially the double stop stuff. Good to hear you play :).. apologies for the cock up on the click :facepalm:

• Members

I had a few minutes to throw this together this morning. I went over the song a little bit the other day and even though I haven't played slide in about five years and my chops are rusty, it seemed like the song called for it. I do feel good that I was able to grab the slide and change pickups without missing a beat in the middle of the tune. Nice to play without a pick, too. Sometimes a strat like this just needs to be spanked. I didn't want to do anything to crazy on this song, just stay bluesy and down home. Very fun track to jam over!

[video=youtube;VPMSXbsoMcs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPMSXbsoMcs

[Edit] Now, to listen to everyone else's takes...

Wow, awesome job Mosiddiqi - really tasty, and nice vibrato, too.

JonR - very melodic and unique take. Love the use of the parallel harmonized lines around 0:48 and elsewhere. I'm a sucker for that sound.

• Members

Now, to listen to everyone else's takes...

Wow, awesome job Mosiddiqi - really tasty, and nice vibrato, too.

JonR - very melodic and unique take. Love the use of the parallel harmonized lines around 0:48 and elsewhere. I'm a sucker for that sound.

That's so sweet Bydo!..awesome!..loved the slide and the dirty blues licks :)..and thanks!

• Members

Love it! What a great practice tool this is! Put together a solo AND upload it so others can hear. Boy does it ever keep you honest huh? I took a few whacks at this because I wanted one continuous solo (no punches) that makes sense with the chords but (hopefully) maintains that "off the top of your head/following the muse" ideal. Tough balance!

Mo's Major Ballad

Also, I added a coupla little rhythm guitar thingies that I thought were good for a bit of "shine."

Here's the backing track with my rhythm parts added:

Mo's Major Ballad BT (with xtra guitar parts)

• Members

Monumental thanks to you all..........this is THE best way to learn guitar. I'm working on this one, but I'm going to spend some time really getting into the backing. I'll be outside working all day, so I'll be whistling along for hours, trying to get some ideas into my head.

Thanks Mo for doing these, and Jon for taking the time to take things forward for us. I noticed Stomias has another backing track up. I hope we see plenty of activity on that one too. And yet more input on this one!

I've enjoyed all the takes so far - it's so helpful to hear how good players approach the task. Theory goes into action, and gives us the chance to study timing and dynamics and......................pretty much everything.

Cheers!

• Members
Love it! What a great practice tool this is! Put together a solo AND upload it so others can hear. Boy does it ever keep you honest huh? I took a few whacks at this because I wanted one continuous solo (no punches) that makes sense with the chords but (hopefully) maintains that "off the top of your head/following the muse" ideal. Tough balance!

Also, I added a coupla little rhythm guitar thingies that I thought were good for a bit of "shine."

Here's the backing track with my rhythm parts added:

Wow, great take. Love the dynamics and soulful touch. The second take with the added rhythm parts sounds wonderful - like a totally different song. I could hear it on a Lucinda Williams record. I think I like that take the best of any here, and there's no solo!

Archived