I'm just making scales up now. Why do they work?

kirs

• Members

Overnight I just started breaking out of patterns and boxes and just went with the feel of the music. I unconsciously started doing things like this, for example:

Above is played over a D5 chord. It has a Middle-Eastern feel but not any scale I was able to find.

If I'm to guess the top half, A A# F# G D D#, is the "D Major Gypsy scale" (according to Wolfram, I never heard of it) which then leads into the plain old D minor scale.

Does everyone eventually hit a point where they start making scales up based on the vibe? If so, sign me up. I've plateaued for the past two years until now :)

• Members

I've been chopping scales into piece for a long time, a lot of people do. You can get a lot of great ideas from it. But, I've been playing music longer than it took for me to memorize scales.

The scale you have is a D Phrygian Dominant scale. It can also be thought of as a G Harmonic Minor, but it doesn't sound as "middle eastern" from that point of view.

I have a full blown tutorial on the D Phrygian Dominant scale that you'd probably get a lot out of: http://lessons.mikedodge.com/lessons/PhryDom/PhryDomTOC.htm

It will show you a bunch of cool sounds in the scale, give you a lot background on it and essentially teaches you these ideas and more:

nAF_aEaqqYI

• Members

Wow, thanks gennation. Reading your intro you it seems you happened on this scale the same way I did. I was also using DADGBE tuning as well for a drone-ish effect with 0577xx. I guess this scale just wants to be discovered.

• Members

You could also look at your 'scale' as just a D chord, with each note approached from a semitone above (passing/leading tones). Jazz cats do this all the time. Take any chord shape and on the downbeats play the chord tones... On the upbeats, play a note 1 fret above or below that chord tone. You will hear that real jazz swing feel. Try other chord shapes too.

Exploring different tonalities of scale forms is pretty common I would think

• Members

I just invented this one. Lemme know what you think:

---------------1------------------

-------------6---6----------------

---------10--------10------------

-------3---------------3----------

-----8-------------------8--------

-13------------------------13----

Very useful! :-)

• Members

Everyone? I don't think so. Some people hit a point where they start making up melodies instead of scales.

A bitter-sweet reply, in some ways.

It could possibly be taken as sarcasm, but it is not that.

It is true.

Probably the best reply anyone could give!

• Members

A bitter-sweet reply, in some ways.

It could possibly be taken as sarcasm, but it is not that.

It is true.

Probably the best reply anyone could give!

I didn't mean to sound harsh. In retrospect, I think the OP might be confused about the difference between making up a scale on the fly and making up a melody on the fly. The latter skill has been observed in great improvising guitarists - not just in jazz but also in rock, country, flamenco, etc.

A scale is just a set of notes which you can use to build a melody and chords. What the OP posted is not a scale. It is a melody based on a scale.

• Members

A scale is just a set of notes which you can use to build a melody and chords. What the OP posted is not a scale. It is a melody based on a scale.

I realize that, my wording was wrong. It's all semantics.

I guess what I am getting is that I used to play straight-up boxes and patterns then suddenly I'm not not even thinking about it. I just know what note I want and where to hit it on the fretboard. That's broken me out of my major/minor/pentatonic box safe zones and and into utilizing new scales and chords and creating new sorts of harmonies.

• Members

II just know what note I want and where to hit it on the fretboard. That's broken me out of my major/minor/pentatonic box safe zones and and into utilizing new scales and chords and creating new sorts of
harmonies

Ok, now this is something several people here have reported they experienced. I was thrilled when I realized I was starting to match the sounds in my head with the actual notes being played in the instrument. After that epiphany, I realized that ear training would help me get better at it, as well as making a practice of learning melodic phrases from other soloists and creating my own lines.

• Members

Best. Scale. Evr.

I now have a career:

Guitar Player: 3shift, your harmonic and melodic concepts have a static yet melodic feel. How do you accomplish that?

3shift: Well after exhausting all the Coltrane and Holdsworth permutations and just generally getting bored with that stuff, not to mention the Slonimsky book, I was looking for something new. Then I found the Finn Matrix. Beautiful, man.

Tks Jon.

• Members

I dunno. I just tried it over both an E and an E9 chord and it was really dissonant. ;)

Archived