Rhythm help, anyone?

• Members

Still 3 + 3 + 2 here. lol Actually I'd been having trouble getting forums to open and this is the first I've got all the way through to a post box lol. So check one two ...

Two against three the first three then one two three one two repeat.

You can modulate to half time when the girl goes into the long notes - gotta check again. But anyway if you just go 3 + 5, you get mostly downbeats and no confusion.

Actually what you're doing will expand your sense of rhythm so it's not a complete waste of time ;) although trying to stay in 3 IS crazy.

• Members

Actually what you're doing will expand your sense of rhythm so it's not a complete waste of time
;)

Oh, it's totally not a waste of time, its completely valuable as you say: expanding my sense of rhythm ... that's why I'm not letting it go till I get it :)

Now I have a way I can play it that is working (the 4 way), I'm trying to look at it the 3+3+2 way.

Here's what I haven't clicked with for this: are this 3+3+2 beats all at the same speed? To me the obvious answer is "it can't be". So then I guess you're counting against the guitar notes like this:

One two three

One two three

One two three

Onnnne Twooo

One two three

One two three

One two three

Onnnne Twooo

... IE the +2 part is creating the gap between the three notes?

The problem this creates for me is knowing how long the gap to the second low E is. The advantage of counting in 4 (with ands for me at the moment :) ) is that it predicts exactly where that second E is coming without guessing or needing too much feel of that (comparitively) long gap.

Are there some clues about this that I'm not seeing, or am I completely misunderstanding?

Thanks!!

GaJ

• Members

Oh, absolutely all the same value. Notice the arithmetic - all total 8 beats. Different groupings is all. Those 3 groupings : 6+2, 5+3, 3+3+2, are all the same feel with different allusions to detail. You can reverse those numbers, go through all the permutations for that matter, for a wide array of different "time changes" all in 4.

If finding the count value is confusing, count in 8 like I said. It repeats every 8 beats for 12 times then goes back to 6 for the guitar on out...

• 3 months later...

Archived