Learning at 50 Years Old?

• Members

One thing I wished I'd done sooner was to get the guitar professionally set up by someone who knows what they're doing. It makes it so much easier to play.

This is good advice, and worth the money to pay someone if you cannot set up a guitar yoursef. New guitars tend to be set up in a "one size fits all" way so they are playable for the customers checking them out in the shops. Some guitars aren't really set up at all. One reason could be that the manufacturer feels it's not worth the effort....by the time the guitar reaches a customer's hands, the transport and varying weather conditions might well result in changes to anything done in the factory.

An experienced player would be able to assess the potential of a guitar which wasn't set up very well, but it seems that many novices just accept what they get and carry on with it as it is.

This can result in an incredibly negative playing experience - eveything sounds awful! A beginner might assume it's because of his or her playing, when in fact nobody could produce anything truly musical from the guitar in question....although a major-league player would probably be able to quickly figure out how to get the right note at each fret using subtle bends.

The easiest thing you can do yourself on a guitar is to make sure the intonation is optimal. One usually needs only a screwdriver, an Allen key (US hex key), a guitar tuner and a steady hand so nothing slips and scratches the guitar finish.

Simple stuff played on a properly-intonated guitar can sound very good indeed. Here are some links and a video to get you started if you fancy having a go at the intonation. If you are worried about scratching the finish, you can mask up the area around the bridge, where the adjustments need to be done....use a soft cloth under two sheets of plastic, each of which has an area cut away so they fit snugly around the bridge when brought together. The sticky paper masking tape they use when respraying cars can be used to hold everything in place during the work....you won't use much from a roll, but it's handy stuff to have around the house.

Warning: think twice about doing this work if you have any doubts about your competence. Damage to the finish of your guitar could be expensive to have rectified.

http://geetarjim.hubpages.com/hub/Guitar-Intonation

http://www.wikihow.com/Set-Your-Guitar%27s-Intonation

[video=youtube;GZVRCMJLnm4]

• Members

Well I just took my first lesson last night and i'm 55. I've tried to learn on my own without much success I learned more in that 30 minute than in the last 1 1/2 years on my own. At this stage of my life I figure time is something I don't have enough of to spend unwisely. I am commited to becomming the player I want to be and am doing something about it!

• Members

It important for beginners of any age to understand there is no "right" way to play guitar. Some have very fixed opinions on how it "should" be done. Not this guy, and I've never seen his right hand technique in any books:

[video=youtube;tigQMK-P9kk]

• Members

On thing that comes to mind about learning, and that was a major reason why I learned fast:

Focus x hours = results

When I started at late age 19, I remember I was stunned by friends who could play. I have hardly seen or heard people live who could play instruments and suddenly, joining a organization, there where several who played guitar. I remember that it was magic sitting right beside people who perfermed music in stead of listening to records or radio.

And when a few guys teach me some tricks, I suddenly saw that big door of possibilities open, soon I found myself playing guitar for hours and hours, all my life revolved around guitar. At that time I didn't have TV, and I soon went to study in stockholm where I played for 13 hours a day.

Later (at age 33) I decided to learn how to sing, and applied the same principles, and today I do soloact gigs where I sing Johnny Cash and AC/DC in original keys and I'm headhunted for my voice. At this time I had kids, garden, house, full time work, gigs on weekends etc... But If you want something bad, you'll find time.

100 hours, you'll manage something OK. 1000 hours you get good at something, and after 10 000 hours you are a master.

• Members

Yes. The "Old dog/New Trick" mindset can very easily become a self-fulfilling prophecy. It's only true when you believe it.

Well said, I have taught a number of people over the age of 50 and ALL of them were successful at learning...why? Because they had the desire to play, they weren't forced by parents. They decided and dedicated themselves. and that is why I am 100% that you are certainly not too old to learn :)

Archived