Ewan Dobson - Time Two

• Members

Somebody posted this somewhere and I liked it immediately. Smoothly done considering the complexity of the playing. I give this 9s for guitaristic accomplishment. Sounds pretty cool too. Which makes me wonder, if that had been a keyboard dance track would I GAF?

• Members

Somebody posted this somewhere and I liked it immediately. Smoothly done considering the complexity of the playing. I give this 9s for guitaristic accomplishment. Sounds pretty cool too. Which makes me wonder, if that had been a keyboard dance track would I GAF?

What makes his playing complex?

• Members

What makes his playing complex?

Well, it's fast and highly detailed.

I thought at first he was using a delay effect, but it's actualy highly accomplished thumbpick control. That's fairly unusual because thumbpicks are conventionally used only (or mainly) for downstrokes, in combination with upstrokes from fingers (with or without fingerpicks).

It's similar to hybrid picking, but that's limited by the fact that the pick needs to be held between thumb and index, although IMO most players would feel that gives them more flexibility of attack. But using a thumbpick - although initially more awkward to control for upstrokes at least - obviously frees up an extra finger for picking.

But I guess it's nothing that any reasonably good player couldn't do, given enough hours of practice. (Personally I think I'd give up way before I got that good.;))

Archived