Chord based soloing

• Members

I saw the illustration in the link for chord soloing. It looks on paper nearly identical - in my primitive understanding of paper representations - of what I do. Now I'm confused about the differences between chord-melody and this (new to me ) chord-soloing.

If I hold and embellish a chord to produce a melody, then I understand that to be chord-melody. If I hold and embellish the same chords to produce a solo, am I right to call that chord soloing? Is it that simple?

I'm an ear-trained player. I'm not a musician. I consider musicians players who can sight read and write scores.
I can't do that. So, I imagine what I want to hear and then play it. I really wish I could score what I do if for nothing more than to have it on paper. Old dog, new tricks....there's hope.

Anyway, the link is something I recorded (poorly) and if I'm guessing right it's chord-melody and maybe a bit of soloing as well? I'd like to know what description I can best label it because I am genuinely ignorant of all things theoretically and/or conventionally understood by bonafide musicians. Thanks.

https://www.box.com/s/bacaa3c9c5a34ac22c0f

Uh-oh.:eek:

:snax:

• Members

Uh-oh.
:eek:

:snax:

LOL. No problems, benz. I don't take myself (my opinions) that seriously. But, the schooled musician can look at a score and assess the entire piece, changes, dynamics, etc in a quick study. Then he simply executes it with changes nuanced by the writer or conductor. That's hugely beneficial to session work where the writer has scored the various instruments.

And, no, I do not identify any known artist to be a (bonafide) musician if they can't understand and execute a written score. That doesn't make them any less an artist but their lack of ability to sight read makes them inadequate musicians. Understand. Musician is not a title of honor bestowed on a person because they can produce popular music on an instrument of their choice. That's the realm of an artist. Musician is merely a word describing - in a word - a person's ability to understand the written score and play from it. It's derived from and based on experienced use of the musical score in the traditional sense of musicianship.

That all said, it's an opinion I hold because anyone can call up a definition for musician and read the inadequate: One who plays music. I know. I did just that to see if my own distinction between player and musician has any supportive or qualitative public reference. I think it does but only if sight reading is inferred in those simple definitions - a given.

I still do not consider myself, or anyone else who cannot execute from a score, a musician.

• Members

Something I did to help my chord-melody and chord based improv was just studying the entire Drop chord system. I mapped out and created fretboard diagrams for every possible Drop-2 and Drop-3 on all the string sets with all the inversions. Once you learned all the inversions, you can grab a chord with any chord tone in the soprano voice or just use the shape as sweeps or gravity tones. Really helped my voice leading while comping too.

Shameless plug.... While studying this stuff I made a book. Check it out. http://soundslikejoe.com/?product=a-guitarist-study-for-drop-chords

It's basically all the chord shapes with a few exercises and some theory upfront.

• Members

Actually.... I would appreciate some feedback on the book from anyone interested. Here's a coupon. Use it during checkout and you can have a copy. Just do me a favor and send some feedback about the book or recommend it to someone else if it helps. Thanks!

coupon = FreeBook

• Members

LOL. No problems, benz. I don't take myself (my opinions) that seriously. But, the schooled musician can look at a score and assess the entire piece, changes, dynamics, etc in a quick study. Then he simply executes it with changes nuanced by the writer or conductor. That's hugely beneficial to session work where the writer has scored the various instruments.

And, no, I do not identify any known artist to be a (bonafide) musician if they can't understand and execute a written score. That doesn't make them any less an artist but their lack of ability to sight read makes them inadequate musicians. Understand.
Musician
is not a title of honor bestowed on a person because they can produce popular music on an instrument of their choice. That's the realm of an
artist
Musician
is merely a word describing - in a word - a person's ability to understand the written score and play from it. It's derived from and based on experienced use of the musical score in the traditional sense of
musicianship

That all said, it's an opinion I hold because anyone can call up a definition for musician and read the inadequate:
One who plays music.
I know. I did just that to see if my own distinction between
player
and
musician
has any supportive or qualitative public reference. I think it does but only if sight reading
is inferred
in those simple definitions - a given.

I still do not consider myself, or anyone else who cannot execute from a score, a musician.

Cool man. I disagree strongly, but respect your opinion.

:thu:

• Members

And, no, I do not identify any known artist to be a (bonafide) musician if they can't understand and execute a written score. That doesn't make them any less an artist but their lack of ability to sight read makes them inadequate musicians. Understand.
Musician
is not a title of honor bestowed on a person because they can produce popular music on an instrument of their choice. That's the realm of an
artist
Musician
is merely a word describing - in a word - a person's ability to understand the written score and play from it. It's derived from and based on experienced use of the musical score in the traditional sense of
musicianship

That all said, it's an opinion I hold because anyone can call up a definition for musician and read the inadequate:
One who plays music.
I know. I did just that to see if my own distinction between
player
and
musician
has any supportive or qualitative public reference. I think it does but only if sight reading
is inferred
in those simple definitions - a given.

I think using the term that way really boxes it in. You could say "literate musician" & "illiterate musician" ... That seems to make more sense as I have met MANY insanely talented players (even successful session players) who can't read. To think of these folks as non musicians seems preposterous.

I think the only point of that term is what you would write on a tax return as a profession.

Your point is taken and I do understand where you are coming from. But your wording is likely to cause you grief over the years.

Archived