Good song to practice ear training with?

• Members

I want to start to work on developing playing by ear skills. I want to start with an easy song and just try to work out the chords, something with simple chords and not too many changes. I know that is very simple for some but for me it's not something I've ever done before.

I prefer a song that doesn't have too much going on so I can listen for the chord changes. A solo acoustic cover of something would be great. Any suggestions for a song, or a link to a recording or video of a cover song that would work? I want a song that I can look up the chords to afterward to check to see if I was able to figure anything out correctly.

• Members

Many country songs are quite simple so that's a good place to try.

Here's a excellent site with chords,, etc. Careful though as some descriptions are not in the actual key of the recording.

That's a good point, thanks, the chord sites may be in a different key. Hmm, not sure how to get around that. I guess if I actually get it relationship between the chords right, I should be able to tell that even if it's in a different key. I'm not sure I'll be able to pick out any of the chords, but I'm gonna give this a try soon.

• Members

I want to start to work on developing playing by ear skills. I want to start with an easy song and just try to work out the chords, something with simple chords and not too many changes. I know that is very simple for some but for me it's not something I've ever done before.

I prefer a song that doesn't have too much going on so I can listen for the chord changes. A solo acoustic cover of something would be great. Any suggestions for a song, or a link to a recording or video of a cover song that would work? I want a song that I can look up the chords to afterward to check to see if I was able to figure anything out correctly.

Bob Dylan and Neil Young are good for simple chord progressions, often with no other accompaniment to confuse you.

Trouble with working from video is you can look at their hands and cheat! So I suggest working with audio alone. If you find youtubes (live versions), obscure the picture somehow while you listen.

Here's a good Neil Young one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1e3m_T-NMOs

Good for 3 reasons:

1. Very simple triad chords in a common key (tho there is one chord outside the key)

2. You can't see what he's doing

3. He's on piano anyway! (The chords are still easy on guitar)

Compare with this version, which is in a different key (his voice had dropped a little by this time):

Most tab sites seem to have the correct chords for the earlier album version - but obviously resist the urge to look them up!

Another:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeaGThqYgkc

Here's an even simpler one, with only 3 chords:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aoqVEYzsZk

Q: there's a famous Dylan song from the same period, with almost the same tune, and the same chord sequence (plus one extra chord). Can you name it?

Easy Dylan songs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4xvls9LAlM

Just 3 chords (a lot easier to work out than his original fingestyle version)

Dylan originals are hard to find on youtube of course, but here's another famous 3-chord song of his:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06rGW0AQGiY

Dead easy chords on this, but if that's too easy, try to work out the guitar riff.

An easy REM one:

(Tip: has a lot in common with "Like a Hurricane")

• Members

I always suggest The Beatles as that's what I started with :)..some very simple chord progressions and some that whilst simple to play, are a bit harder to understand...the intro to "If I Fell" being a particular favourite of mine. Songs like "I should have know better" are good for getting your ear to grasp common chord progressions in pop/rock and something like "From me to you" is a good example of a "spicier" progression with a great example of using an augmented chord in a pop song!.

• Members

I always suggest The Beatles as that's what I started with
:)
..some very simple chord progressions and some that whilst simple to
play
, are a bit harder to
understand
...the intro to "If I Fell" being a particular favourite of mine. Songs like "I should have know better" are good for getting your ear to grasp common chord progressions in pop/rock and something like "From me to you" is a good example of a "spicier" progression with a great example of using an augmented chord in a pop song!.

I agree the Beatles are great to study. I'm not sure I'd put most of their songs at beginner level (for either ear training or songwriting), but here's a few of the simpler ones:

Love Me Do

I Saw Her Standing There

This Boy

Norwegian Wood

Ticket To Ride

Yellow Submarine (about as unsophisticated as they got!)

• Members

I agree the Beatles are great to study. I'm not sure I'd put most of their songs at beginner level (for either ear training or songwriting), but here's a few of the simpler ones:

Love Me Do

I Saw Her Standing There

This Boy

Norwegian Wood

Ticket To Ride

Yellow Submarine (about as unsophisticated as they got!)

How did you know that those are the first two songs I ever learned to play by ear? :eek:;)

Interesting side note: IIRC, I really struggled with the bit in "I Saw Her Standing There" where it goes "I'll never dance with another...oooh!"..the chord on that "oooh!"...Amin or C?..or both(on two guitars)?.or Amin with a C Bass?.something else? :o..I don't think I ever solved that problem, I've played it all ways and nobody's complained..but still. :o I think Alan Pollacks excellent analysis had it as Amin with a C bass..

Sorry for the sidestep OP!

• Members

...Amin or C?..or both(on two guitars)?.or Amin with a C Bass?.something else?
:o
..I don't think I ever solved that problem, I've played it all ways and nobody's complained..but still.
I think Alan Pollacks excellent analysis had it as Amin with a C bass..

I'd just say C. Traditionally it would be an Am chord in such a position (following A in key of E), but the C bass makes it tougher, more "rock'n'roll". I must admit I haven't listened to it in a few years, but Pollack is probably right about Am in the guitar (tho he says the vocal harmony is E and C, so the A in the chord is superfluous).

The Beatles were fond of both minor iv chords and major bVI chords, of course, but I think they well knew the difference: that a minor iv was more "subtle", and that point in "I Saw Her Standing There" needed real impact - it has to go "pow!", which is why they syncopated it too. (They'd have known about bVI chords from Buddy Holly's "Peggy Sue" and Carl Perkins' "Honey Don't".)

A root position minor iv (Cm in key of G) can be heard in "She Loves You", on the 2nd title phrase in the last half of the verse, and on the phrase "a love like that" in the chorus. It's a very different effect (mainly because they add a 6th to it).

• Members

Yes, that's the one designed to catch you out!
I'd just say C. Traditionally it would be an Am chord in such a position (following A in key of E), but the C bass makes it tougher, more "rock'n'roll". I must admit I haven't listened to it in a few years, but Pollack is probably right about Am in the guitar (tho he says the vocal harmony is E and C, so the A in the chord is superfluous).

The Beatles were fond of both minor iv chords and major bVI chords, of course, but I think they well knew the difference: that a minor iv was more "subtle", and that point in "I Saw Her Standing There" needed real impact - it has to go "pow!", which is why they syncopated it too. (They'd have known about bVI chords from Buddy Holly's "Peggy Sue" and Carl Perkins' "Honey Don't".)

A root position minor iv (Cm in key of G) can be heard in "She Loves You", on the 2nd title phrase in the last half of the verse, and on the phrase "a love like that" in the chorus. It's a very different effect (mainly because they add a 6th to it).

:)..That Cm in "She Loves You" baffled me for ages too. I don't think I knew how to play a Cm chord at that point. :o..I worked it out eventually and then found out some time later what it was called. Those were the days :o..oh, and the Gmin6 in "The Night Before"..such an exotic sound it seemed to me at the time!

• Members

..That Cm in "She Loves You" baffled me for ages too. I don't think I knew
how
to play a Cm chord at that point.
..I worked it out eventually and then found out some time later what it was called. Those were the days
..oh, and the Gmin6 in "The Night Before"..such an exotic sound it seemed to me at the time!

Yes, I'm trying to remember my first min6 chord.... [sigh]

It probably was that one in She Loves You.

As for their inversions - m7b5 chords - I remember discovering those for myself, just messing around with altering single notes in various chord shapes. It's great when you don't know what the hell you're doing... ;)

• Members

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'm afraid I will fail horribly but I'm gonna give one of these a try and see how I do. I don't know if my ear will even be able to handle the change in sound from guitar to piano, as in if I'll be able to recognize the chords when played on piano, but maybe I'll try that one first. Let you all know how I do.

• Members

Bob Dylan and Neil Young are good for simple chord progressions, often with no other accompaniment to confuse you.

Trouble with working from video is you can look at their hands and cheat! So I suggest working with audio alone. If you find youtubes (live versions), obscure the picture somehow while you listen.

Here's a good Neil Young one:

Good for 3 reasons:

1. Very simple triad chords in a common key (tho there is one chord outside the key)

2. You can't see what he's doing

3. He's on piano anyway! (The chords are still easy on guitar)

Compare with this version, which is in a
different key
(his voice had dropped a little by this time):

Most tab sites seem to have the correct chords for the earlier album version - but obviously resist the urge to look them up!

Another:

Here's an even simpler one, with only 3 chords:

Q: there's a famous Dylan song from the same period, with almost the same tune, and the same chord sequence (plus one extra chord). Can you name it?

Easy Dylan songs:

Just 3 chords (a lot easier to work out than his original fingestyle version)

Dylan originals are hard to find on youtube of course, but here's another famous 3-chord song of his:

Dead easy chords on this, but if that's too easy, try to work out the guitar riff.

An easy REM one:

(Tip: has a lot in common with "Like a Hurricane")

The 2 Dylan links led to the same song, do you remember which one the 2nd one is supposed to be?

• Members

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'm afraid I will fail horribly but I'm gonna give one of these a try and see how I do. I don't know if my ear will even be able to handle the change in sound from guitar to piano, as in if I'll be able to recognize the chords when played on piano, but maybe I'll try that one first. Let you all know how I do.

Do a little bit every day and it'll get easier. First get the root, then figure out if it's major or minor. That'll get you 3/4 of the way there for most rock tunes. As you get better at it, you'll start to hear the extensions and voicings clearer, then you can revisit stuff if you want to really refine it.

The other thing that's helped me soooooooo much recently is working on your inner ear. Like this:

http://www.iwasdoingallright.com/tools/ear_training/songs/

Start with the nursery songs and just try and learn how to play one stupid melody a day. If it's too easy, then try inspector gadget/star wars/james bond/TV/movie melodies. just load up random dumb stuff on youtube and learn it. This is the funnest approach to ear training I've ever done. It's humbling to spend 15-20 minutes sussing out Rockabye baby. :facepalm:

• Members

Lately I've become obsessed with ear training. I've been learning Christmas songs and other melodies by ear for weeks, and I've been using country songs for chord progressions. I look at tab in guitar world that has all kinds of songs with 20 chords in them with 3 guitar parts. I probably will never get good enough to transcribe that, but it sure is fun.

• Members

Lately I've become obsessed with ear training. I've been learning Christmas songs and other melodies by ear for weeks, and I've been using country songs for chord progressions. I look at tab in guitar world that has all kinds of songs with 20 chords in them with 3 guitar parts. I probably will never get good enough to transcribe that, but it sure is fun.

I couldn't do it at all with the videos. I had my husband play Twinkle Twinkle Little Star for me and I was able to pick out the first two chords, but that's about as well as I could do so far. Once there are other instruments involved I really have a hard time hearing the chords and honestly I'm not sure I can even tell every time there's a chord change in a recorded song. Maybe, but I'm not positive, I haven't tested it out yet. I know when I've been given chords to a song in the past I can't necessarily figure out where the chord changes go, I usually need it laid out for me over the lyrics. So I have a looooong way to go I think. How long have you been playing music? I'm hoping I can develop my ear more over time, because right now I'm really lacking.

• Members

Do a little bit every day and it'll get easier. First get the root, then figure out if it's major or minor. That'll get you 3/4 of the way there for most rock tunes. As you get better at it, you'll start to hear the extensions and voicings clearer, then you can revisit stuff if you want to really refine it.

The other thing that's helped me soooooooo much recently is working on your inner ear. Like this:

http://www.iwasdoingallright.com/tools/ear_training/songs/

Start with the nursery songs and just try and learn how to play one stupid melody a day. If it's too easy, then try inspector gadget/star wars/james bond/TV/movie melodies. just load up random dumb stuff on youtube and learn it. This is the funnest approach to ear training I've ever done. It's humbling to spend 15-20 minutes sussing out Rockabye baby.
:facepalm:

It looks cool but I think it may be too advanced for me honestly. All I currently do really is strum chords, not even play melodies at all. Maybe I could try it on the keyboards, although I guess I'm even worse on keyboards than guitar, but for some reason picking out notes seems like it would be easier on the keyboard.

• Members

When you are picking out chords there is a pretty systematic approach you can use.

1. Find the bass note first (the lowest one). Do this for each chord in the progression and play along with single notes until you are sure you have the bass movement. Use just the low E string and go up and down its length for each note.

2. Go to the first chord - using the bass note you found try a major chord shape. If that sounds wrong try a minor chord shape... If that sounds wrong try a dominant chord (7) chord shape. 95% of the songs you try it will be one of these three types.

3. Do this for each chord until you are pretty sure it is right. Play along with the song... then turn it off and play solo. If one chord sounds off try a different chord type until it sounds good.

4. If it sounds right, but you are sliding up and down the neck too much, then find the higher bass notes using the A and D string. Do whatever it takes to get the bass notes mostly in one place. Most guitar parts are positional - meaning they typically are in one area of the neck.

5. Apply the chord type you worked out to each bass note in its new location.

Knowing the names, or at least knowing how to figure out the names of the notes on the neck is extremely beneficial. For example, If you found a bass note waaay up on the 8th fret of the low E string. It is very helpful to know that this note is C. As most even beginning guitarists know how to play a C chord in open position. A song with a simple G, C, D chord progression can look like this:

--3----8----10------

--3----8----10------

--4----9----11-------

--5---10---12-------

--5---10---12--------

--3----8----10-------

Lastly, the most important thing is patience. MOST people give up WAAAAAYYY too soon. The first few songs you do will be a nightmare. Take a long time. But with each new one you learn some tricks. STAY with it. You CAN do it with some dedication.

• Members

It looks cool but I think it may be too advanced for me honestly. All I currently do really is strum chords, not even play melodies at all. Maybe I could try it on the keyboards, although I guess I'm even worse on keyboards than guitar, but for some reason picking out notes seems like it would be easier on the keyboard.

IMO, you need to work on melodies first. Chords can be hard to work out because (obviously!) they contain several notes at the same time.

A good exercise is try and work out well-known tunes by ear yourself - eg Twinkle Twinkle or Happy Birthday. Sing them to yourself, and try and find (on guitar or keyboard) the notes you're singing.

If you can't get started that way - have difficulty tuning your voice to the instrument - begin with a known note on the instrument (say G, open 3rd string on guitar), and try and work out the next note, by trial and error; you don't have to sing, just look for the right sounding note on the instrument. Eg with Twinkle Twinkle, the next note is a big jump; with Happy Birthday it's only a small move. (Twinkle Twinkle is easier overall; Happy Birthday has one tricky leap in the 3rd line, that most people underestimate.)

You don't actually need to know any of the notes on the instrument, or any scales, although obviously it helps (at least with guitar) if you do. You could try on piano or keyboard, where all the notes are laid out for you.

Remember, even if you can't sing these melodies in tune yourself, you know (in your head) when they sound wrong, and when they sound right, because you've heard them so often.

When it comes to recordings (eg the examples posted above), try to work out the lead vocal melody, not the chords. Again, this is because it's one note at a time, and the vocal melody is usually the clearest line of notes - and is actually the heart of the song anyway.

If working from a youtube (or anything else you can pause easily), just go note by note - you might need to repeat each note a few times before you get it. (This is where dedicated software like Transcribe makes it easier: http://www.seventhstring.com/)

If you don't know your scales, I do recommend learning the most common major scales (C, G, D, F, A, E, maybe in that order). It will help you enormously in being able to predict - once you have the first 2 or 3 notes - what other notes might follow.

• Members

When you are picking out chords there is a pretty systematic approach you can use.

1. Find the bass note first (the lowest one). Do this for each chord in the progression and play along with single notes until you are sure you have the bass movement. Use just the low E string and go up and down its length for each note.

2. Go to the first chord - using the bass note you found try a major chord shape. If that sounds wrong try a minor chord shape... If that sounds wrong try a dominant chord (7) chord shape. 95% of the songs you try it will be one of these three types.

3. Do this for each chord until you are pretty sure it is right. Play along with the song... then turn it off and play solo. If one chord sounds off try a different chord type until it sounds good.

4. If it sounds right, but you are sliding up and down the neck too much, then find the higher bass notes using the A and D string. Do whatever it takes to get the bass notes mostly in one place. Most guitar parts are positional - meaning they typically are in one area of the neck.

5. Apply the chord type you worked out to each bass note in its new location.

Knowing the names, or at least knowing how to figure out the names of the notes on the neck is extremely beneficial. For example, If you found a bass note waaay up on the 8th fret of the low E string. It is very helpful to know that this note is C. As most even beginning guitarists know how to play a C chord in open position. A song with a simple G, C, D chord progression can look like this:

--3----8----10------

--3----8----10------

--4----9----11-------

--5---10---12-------

--5---10---12--------

--3----8----10-------

Lastly, the most important thing is patience. MOST people give up WAAAAAYYY too soon. The first few songs you do will be a nightmare. Take a long time. But with each new one you learn some tricks. STAY with it. You CAN do it with some dedication.

I have heard that before about finding the bass note first. Thank you for the encouragement and the tips. Despite the difficulty and just uncomfortableness of the process, I won't be one of those who gives up. I'll keep working on it and will use your tips, thanks!

• Members

IMO, you need to work on melodies first. Chords can be hard to work out because (obviously!) they contain several notes at the same time.

A good exercise is try and work out well-known tunes by ear yourself - eg Twinkle Twinkle or Happy Birthday. Sing them to yourself, and try and find (on guitar or keyboard) the notes you're singing.

If you can't get started that way - have difficulty tuning your voice to the instrument - begin with a known note on the instrument (say G, open 3rd string on guitar), and try and work out the next note, by trial and error; you don't have to sing, just look for the right sounding note on the instrument. Eg with Twinkle Twinkle, the next note is a big jump; with Happy Birthday it's only a small move. (Twinkle Twinkle is easier overall; Happy Birthday has one tricky leap in the 3rd line, that most people underestimate.)

You don't actually need to know any of the notes on the instrument, or any scales, although obviously it helps (at least with guitar) if you do. You could try on piano or keyboard, where all the notes are laid out for you.

Remember, even if you can't sing these melodies in tune yourself, you
know
(in your head) when they sound wrong, and when they sound right, because you've heard them so often.

When it comes to recordings (eg the examples posted above), try to work out the
lead vocal melody
, not the chords. Again, this is because it's one note at a time, and the vocal melody is usually the clearest line of notes - and is actually the heart of the song anyway.

If working from a youtube (or anything else you can pause easily), just go note by note - you might need to repeat each note a few times before you get it. (This is where dedicated software like Transcribe makes it easier:
)

If you don't know your scales, I do recommend learning the most common major scales (C, G, D, F, A, E, maybe in that order). It will help you enormously in being able to predict - once you have the first 2 or 3 notes - what other notes might follow.

Thank you. That's interesting that melodies might actually be easier, I thought it was the other way around. And yes I do have trouble getting my voice in line with the instrument. But I'll see if I can try it with a simple melody on the keyboards or guitar. Thank you!

• Members

Oops, sorry, I meant it to be the Byrds' version of Mr Tambourine Man

Thank you. That might be a good one for me. I think I remember playing this in drop D before, but maybe I'm remembering wrong. If I'm right then I guess I at least know one of the chords, and probably the key the song is in, so I'd have a headstart on that one. I'll try it, thank you.

Archived