Newbie Issues - What did you do to learn basic open chords and play cleanly? Grrr....

• Members

I am new to guitar and just have an acoustic. I have a lesson this week (Friday). I am trying to get basic open chords down. Trying to play them cleanly.

A Major - Tough to get all 3 fingers in there. A minor is fine

B - Not even trying yet

C Maj - Tough playing at all. Biggest issue is the pinky hits more than one note

D Maj - Good. Hit A a lot

E Maj and Minor - Fine

F - not even trying yet

G Major - Fine

I do have a metronome for slowing tempos and software too.

Songs I am working on: Rolling Stones, "Dead Flowers", CCR, "Bad Moon Rising", Bob Dylan, "Knocking on Heavens Door", Pink Floyd, "Wish You Were Here".

• Members

I'm a novice guitar player, and this is something I work on all the time and struggled like you did a few months ago. :)

I don't have any tips or tricks, except to keep at it. I didn't use a metronome until recently, and struggled at 40bpm for a long time. Finally making improvements up to 60bpm on a good day.

Good luck.

• Members

Just sit down with your guitar and move from one chord to another.

Relax and don't be in a hurry to get "there".

Enjoy the journey. It takes consistent practice over a long time frame.

Just practice consistently everyday. No need to kill yourself.

• Members

Virgman, Yes, you are right. No need to kill myself. I am putting to much focus on being perfect. I feel like I have to be playing songs by first lesson. It is crazy. I need to be gentler with myself for sure. My issue is that bass is my primary instrument and I played bass since 1993, and am thinking I should be learning faster. Guitar truly is its own animal and I need to slow it down expectation wise.

• Members

Don't worry, you'll get there. Once you get the fundamental stuff down really good(So that you can pull it out unconsiously), your bass experience will start to kick in. It takes a while for your brain to make those connections between the two( even if it seems obvious to you). It still takes a lot of work ;)

• Members

Agreeing and building on the previous posts - it's something you have to let your fingers learn.

If I'm showing anyone for the first time, I show them E A and D. These are easy enough to play (I know A is a squash) and sound alright played one after the other. You can add Dsus4 quickly.

Once a person knows roughly how to play these shapes, they can go round and round from one to the other (not too fast) and be working towards having them sound OK. At the beginning they buzz and rattle and muffle. Just gently playing at it gives the subconscious and fingers time to work out the right exact place to land. Observing what's wrong without sweating it too much is the way to go...

GaJ

• Members

Try these kinds of exercises:

1. Play a C chord.

2. Play an Aminor chord.

3. Practice switching between them without lifting your 1st or 2nd fingers (moving only your ring finger)

1. Arpeggiate C chord.

2. Arpeggiate a D chord.

3. Practice switching between C and D while arpeggiating. See if you can switch by only moving one finger at a time.

-Practice switching smoothly between an Aminor chord and an Amajor chord by moving all of your fingers at once.

start there and let me know how you're doing!

• Members

I remember (when I first started ) thinking I would never get Bb at the first fret! Be flexible in your fingering (we all have different size hands and digits).Often you dont need the full 5 or six string chords to convey the music. Dont laff but learning "Stairway to heaven" by led zep was a signpost for me and thousands of other players! Good luck

• Members

G Major - Fine

Good, but be aware of many options for G, especially for making changes to other chords easier:

my favourite, good for changing to C and back, and pretty good for D and back)

-3- pinky

-0-

-0-

-0-

-2- middle

-3- ring

usual beginner choice (but not recommended, IMO, unless you really can't manage the others):

-3- ring

-0-

-0-

-0-

-2- index

-3- middle

what i call "rock G", good for changing to D and back:

-3- pinky

-3- ring

-0-

-0-

-2- index

-3- middle

One tip for G: if you mute the 5th string (by leaning the 6th string finger), it rarely matters, and the chord can actually sound better. But if you do it on that last shape, there's no B in the chord, meaning it's technically a G power chord.

If you like the sound with the 5th muted, you can then play G with just 2 fingers if you want (on 6th and 1st).

BTW, one other open shape you have missing from your list: Dm ;).

• Members

When you practice, I suggest starting with no tempo at all, as mentioned - you have to figure out how best to move and position your fingers, and you don't want to give yourself time constraints whilst doing this. After that, when you're nice and warmed up and you've shown your fingers a little what they ought to do and you think yer ready to get in time, play along with the recordings but don't worry about getting the strumming patterns complete at first. Focus on getting to the next chord right on time, even if that means only striking the previous chord once, then taking the rest of the time to get good and ready for the next one. Add in more of the strumming as you get more comfortable... voila.

• Members
There are at least 3 different ways of fingering A. I always use fingers 2-3-4, they squash together better than 1-2-3, and also make changing to E easier (a common change).

If you have unusually fat fingers, 2-1-3 can work, with the index pushing up behind the other two. (And some fat-fingered folk can hold down 3 strings with 2 fingertips.)

If you have a well double-jointed index, then just barring fret 2 (and avoiding string 1) can work too; and if you can't lift it to allow string 1 to ring open, just make sure you mute it (it's not necessary for the chord). The great advantage in barring is you have 3 spare fingers to do all kinds of other fancy stuff on top...
;)
Save it. Use B7, at least if the key is E or E minor, which is by far the most common place to find of a B chord.

That "A"-shape barre (for the triad) is possibly the hardest shape to play (even worse than F). You will need it eventually, of course, but no need to sweat it for a while - at least not in key of E.

Pinky? You use your pinky for a C chord? You play the 6-string version?

Standard issue C major is this:

-0-

-1- index

-0-

-2- middle

-3- ring

-x-

Problem there is the 6th: do you avoid playing it? (tricky if strumming) Or do you try to mute it by wrapping your thumb over? I sometimes do that, but I've got into the habit of using this shape for C:

-0-

-1- index

-0-

-2- middle

-3- pinky

-3- ring

Some call that "C/G", but I use it for most open position C chords, unless I need my pinky for any added notes. It sounds good and can be freely strummed. Also good for changing to G.

No problem. The A string can be part of the chord, doesn't make it sound a whole lot different. You just need to avoid the 6th - or mute it with the thumb.

The problem most people have with D is making sure that top F# is audible, not muted by the finger on 2nd string.

Always check all your chords string by string, to make sure each one is coming out correctly (or is correctly muted if necessary).

When I was a beginner, I remember my Big Ambition, my Dream, wasn't to be Clapton or Hendrix, or be famous with loads of groupies. It was to be able to play F. Now I can!
:)
(Still no groupies though...
:(
)

There are many routes to F, but none of them are easy. One tip is to make sure your guitar is properly set-up, that the nut is not too high. That was my big issue with F in the beginning (until I got out my little hacksaw...).

Good, but be aware of many options for G, especially for making changes to other chords easier:

my favourite, good for changing to C and back, and pretty good for D and back)

-3- pinky

-0-

-0-

-0-

-2- middle

-3- ring

usual beginner choice (but not recommended, IMO, unless you really can't manage the others):

-3- ring

-0-

-0-

-0-

-2- index

-3- middle

what i call "rock G", good for changing to D and back:

-3- pinky

-3- ring

-0-

-0-

-2- index

-3- middle

One tip for G: if you mute the 5th string (by leaning the 6th string finger), it rarely matters, and the chord can actually sound better. But if you do it on that last shape, there's no B in the chord, meaning it's technically a G power chord.

If you like the sound with the 5th muted, you can then play G with just 2 fingers if you want (on 6th and 1st).

BTW, one other open shape you have missing from your list: Dm
;)

I do the A chord as JonR does, with fngrs 2-4. But only when I really need that open E to ring, otherwise, I just barre it. Also, you can add the E (2nd string 5th fret) and/or the high A (1st string, 5th fret) with your pinkie.

AFA the B chord. I had a lot of trouble with the 4 finger, 5th string major chord, and still do. I'd say work on barring the 2-4 strings with your 3rd(as I do) or pinkie, and not worrying about the 1st string. If you can angle your 3rd finger( I can do it somewhat) you can even get the 1st string(barred with your index).

AFA the C chord, I play it normally w/o the 6th string G note, unless that's the sound I want. I overshoot a little with my 3rd finger, muting the 6th. Thumb muting also works.

In general, it's some of the toughest stuff you will ever learn, so don't get frustrated. Also, I suggest even tho you aren't into learning lead guitar, learn some scales, and use them for finger independence exercises. It'll give you a break, and let the blood return to your grooves a little, but more importantly, will develop finger strength and general coordination. Which of course will help you with the chords, immensely.

• Members

I am new to guitar and just have an acoustic. I have a lesson this week (Friday). I am trying to get basic open chords down. Trying to play them cleanly.

A Major - Tough to get all 3 fingers in there. A minor is fine

B - Not even trying yet

C Maj - Tough playing at all. Biggest issue is the pinky hits more than one note

D Maj - Good. Hit A a lot

E Maj and Minor - Fine

F - not even trying yet

G Major - Fine

I do have a metronome for slowing tempos and software too.

Songs I am working on: Rolling Stones, "Dead Flowers", CCR, "Bad Moon Rising", Bob Dylan, "Knocking on Heavens Door", Pink Floyd, "Wish You Were Here".

A Maj - I use a half barre. I use my index finger laying the tip flat across those strings. It allows me to embellish the chord with other fingers. After some practice you won't mute the high E string.

B Maj - Index finger barre with the ring finger half barring the same way I use my index to play the A-Maj. Slide this shape up one fret: C-Maj.

C Maj - This takes some time for developing the muscle memory to throw down quickly and accurately.

F Maj - Same a s the C Maj.

One of the issues with chords adjacent to the nut (1st fret positions) is the depth of the nut slots. If the depth doesn't allow easy string deflection (not cut deep enough) the chords will be a tough learn. It might make some sense to have them evaluated by a good tech.

• Members

The best choice I did was changing my "fretting position" on the A chord.

I started like this.

0-

2-Third finger

2-Mid finger

2-Index finger

X

But then changed to:

0-

2-Third finger

2-Index finger

2-Middle finger

X

I got the second fretting position from some James Taylor songs and feel much more natural and comfortable and it also allows me to hammer some notes better.

And as the other guys said, keep practicing. Also practice with a metronome, and record yourself. You can learn a lot of your mistakes by listening to yourself.

• Members

Also with the D chord, I put my thumb over the neck and mute the two lowest string so I don't play an A by accident.

With the F chord you don't necessarily need to barre. You can play it "Hendrix Style" (with the thumb over the top to fret the root note). Although I recommend to learn to play barre chords both ways.

• Members

I don't think there are any shortcuts. You just have to keep doing it and eventually you will get it. Those are good songs to start out to. When I was starting my teacher made me a take home cassette of him strumming "Knocking on Heavens Door" and some other songs so I could just try to match his rhythm playing without the extra instruments distracting. You will get there with practice.

The bottom line is how the chord sounds... you can finger chords a lot of different ways. I don't use my pinky for the C major. I use my first finger similar to an Am.

• Members

I have been struggling with guitar for many years. I'm married, work full-timee, and play a wind instument in two bands(soon to be one). To the OT: I believe all of these suggestions are good, but I would encourage you to learn a little music theory along the way. When you learn a chord, play each note individually and speak them out loud. Also, begin to learn the definitions of a major, minor, major 7th, add9, etc. chords. Scales and modes are very helpful too. For modes, go to Wal-Mart and buy a poster with scales and modes. It should be less than $8.00.

• Members

Practice the C maj, G maj, and Am. This will get you started playing the song Simple Man. You will also find they are played in several other songs with just a change of strum patterns. Take your time it doesn't happen over night. Challenge yourself with any three chords and discover how many tunes you can make using your three choice chords. There is another world of music when you take your three chords and add and subtract notes. Don't make it work, make it fun! :idea:

• Members

I am now on Week 2 of lessons. He stated that I needed to play on my fingertips, to play the chords cleanly. My callouses and strength are getting better. My picking is getting better too. I am able to read and play three notes on the 1 string. I am now working on the Second sting. I got a chord wall chart and the scales one too. From playing bass, I do understand scales, modes, its just totally different playing on guitar compared to the Bass guitar. He also said I needed to play right next to a fret rather than in the middle to get the best tone. All of your advice has been great for me.

For the next one, I have to practice three minor chords and the D minor, A minor, E minor.

• Members

I'm pretty much a newb player, though in some ways I think I'm making a lot of progress. Open chords are probably my strongest area ironically; I haven't done that much with power chords and almost nothing as far as riffs/leads.

iirc Justin Sandercoe has a real effective exercise, very simply it is to just switch chords as fast as you can for a minute. I like to sometimes use chords that don't "go together" as often, for example go from D to F or C to E major etc. Another online instructor, Marty had a good lesson where he showed that your hand needs to begin shaping the chord before it arrives...that will help you play cleaner.

Bottom line is time and repetition. Over the months and now years I've been playing, it can seem as if I'm making very little progress. It's incremental, at least in my case. I've never had a "breakthrough moment" where I played much better suddenly. But thinking back a few months the difference is astonishing.

I also tend to practice open chords a lot on my acoustic, even power/barre chords, I think that has helped me (much like learning on a real piano might be tougher but it benefits you when you play a synth).

Archived