How do you practice a specific song/solo?

• Members

I tend to pick on one thing and drill it to death. I don't really do exercises though, they're usually specific licks that I'm struggling with and I'll just play them over and over till I'm happy. Using "Flying High Again" as the example, I would take the bits I can't play up to speed (one part at a time) and try and figure out what the problem was..was it too fast because of an "inside" or "outside" alternate picking mechanics problem?..or is a hammers/pulls/tapping problem?...once I've figured out what the problem is, I tend to just isolate/fixate on that part and keep working...and part of that process will include trying alternate fingerings or other ways of "cheating" in order to get the job done :) (replicating Angus Young's vibrato using a whammy bar springs to mind, no way I could do it with fingers alone)

Although exercises have their place for sure, I'd always rather play a piece of actual music as an exercise if necessary.

• Members

I got you... the part I am having trouble with is definitely an alternate picking pattern type of thing. It is the ascending 16th note lick that starts on the A note (17th fret, low E) to F# (14th fret, low E) to B (14th fret, A string) back to the A note and then repeats. It's all in the F# minor scale, but the picking pattern and fingering is weird to me. :confused:

I never really worked on tapping before, but that part was pretty easy to get up to speed. I "understand" arpeggios and it is only one finger tapping (I think)... no big deal.

• Members

I got you... the part I am having trouble with is definitely an alternate picking pattern type of thing.
It is the ascending 16th note lick that starts on the A note (17th fret, low E) to F# (14th fret, low E) to B (14th fret, A string) back to the A note and then repeats. It's all in the F# minor scale, but the picking pattern and fingering is weird to me.
:confused:

I never really worked on tapping before, but that part was pretty easy to get up to speed. I "understand" arpeggios and it is only one finger tapping (I think)... no big deal.

It's a long time since I played that solo, but if what you've written above is correct, I think a very common problem for many guitarists would be the F# (14th fret E string) to B (14th fret A string)..because it's the same fret, you kind of have to have a rolling "rubber stamp" motion with your index finger across both strings to keep it clean..takes a bit of getting used to.

• Members

Yeah... that is what I do. I can do it at a slower pace, but not up to speed. Maybe I will try just working on that for a week or so.

A fun exercise to do is to just play the E note on the D string second fret followed by the A note on the G string second fret, strictly downstroke/upstroke, and move it up a fret at a time for as far as you want to go..you only use your index finger to fret the notes and you keep "rolling on, rolling off"...the notes must NOT sound together..so record it and check yourself!

This is where an exercise can be useful. :o...side benefits being that this is the left hand motion you need to get right for a lot of sweep pick arpeggios. :)

• Members

Song/solo -

Instrumentalist and singer/writer trying to capture it all in a single song, I work to please ears for guitar as well as for musical themes and vocal delivery. That's for originals. That's where the fun is for me. I prefer writing.

But, I also enjoy doing the occasional cover and will try to be faithful to the original artist's (popular) release of his or her song. I will work to keep the familiarity alive but there are some things I will add or remove depending upon my own sense of the music and what I hear. When I do deviate I do so to match the best I have to offer with the chosen song without the drudgery of overt showmanship. If I'm transcribing a piano piece (Elton John) to guitar I will obviously cater to the latter.

Not really interested in painting by numbers, though. That note-for-note stuff is not real high on my creativity totem.

• Members

a fun thing i've been doing is to listen to a phrase/melody/whatever over and over and over until it's in my aural memory. then i go through and try to play it in as many different positions/fingerings as possible. like if it starts on A, then i'll grab any A on the guitar and go for it. then try it starting on any note without thinking about what you're playing too much.

it's a fun way to give your ear/finger connection a work out - doesn't really help if speed is what you need to work on, but for licks that you really want to integrate into your vocabulary, i've found it's pretty helpful.

Archived