Stairway to Heaven solos w/TABs

• Members

Really close. But they're are some wrong notes and a few missed bends, like the F note (10th fret G string) rather than an E (9th fret). And the last two bent notes are 1 1/2 steps on the G string 14th fret...then a slow 2 step bend on the 10th fret, G.

But of course I must say it all sounds great and the only reason I bring these things up is conversational, I enjoy discussing these old iconic solos and really breaking them down, Note 4 Note! So that's why I reply with my own take on it. This obviously is stuff I have studied very intensely.

Anyone would do quite well to play it as well as you just did, to make sure I am understood.

:)

• Members

Before I say anything let me say I totally take your comments in the good spirit they are intended with.. so if anything below reads odd don't take it that way. All cool. I only say this because we have misinterpreted each other before! : )

In order to make these doable for me it is all about time. I need to be able to lift it, learn to play it, then record it in under an hour to make this viable - as something I can continue. So on these I shoot for a 98% accuracy rate give or take. On this one, when I did the take I knew I misplayed one note (F) in the early fast line (it is correct on the TAB) but didn't feel it worth the time to go back and do a whole other take for that - so it stays. If this was a paid gig it would be a different story. At the end of the day sadly, there is only so much time I have to give.

I will say - it is FAR less intuitive playing as someone else than playing as yourself. That is part of the exercise for ME - what I get out of it. Some of these lines are odd to play because I naturally phrase (time, fingerings, approach bends) differently than these different players.

Funny, It is one thing learning these solos for a bar performance... which we have all done for years... But a VASTLY different level of attention to details for doing a recording. Try it, record a take of a solo you feel you OWN... now record yourself playing it and try to get it PERFECT. Pitch, tone intent, attitude, energy.. It goes beyond the notes. Not easy.

Bottom line - In order to REALLY nail someone's "thing" you gotta spend more than an hour ... more like weeks or months to grasp the subtitles of the players style. For example - Jimmy doesn't "nail all the bends" either! My bend in the second phrase nails the pitch... but it stands out to me as a little to buttoned up.. Jimmy's is just a hair flat... in that good blues way.. It's got some slop in it... "Dead on" is not a blues mentality at all. This is the kind of detail of which I speak.

I am having fun with it. Glad people seem to be getting something from the effort.

Cheers bro!

• Members

Before I say anything let me say I totally take your comments in the good spirit they are intended with.. so if anything below reads odd don't take it that way. All cool. I only say this because we have misinterpreted each other before! : )

In order to make these doable for me it is all about time. I need to be able to lift it, learn to play it, then record it in under an hour to make this viable - as something I can continue. So on these I shoot for a 98% accuracy rate give or take. On this one, when I did the take I knew I misplayed one note (F) in the early fast line (it is correct on the TAB) but didn't feel it worth the time to go back and do a whole other take for that - so it stays. If this was a paid gig it would be a different story. At the end of the day sadly, there is only so much time I have to give.

I will say - it is FAR less intuitive playing as someone else than playing as yourself. That is part of the exercise for ME - what I get out of it. Some of these lines are odd to play because I naturally phrase (time, fingerings, approach bends) differently than these different players.

Funny, It is one thing learning these solos for a bar performance... which we have all done for years... But a VASTLY different level of attention to details for doing a recording. Try it, record a take of a solo you feel you OWN... now record yourself playing it and try to get it PERFECT. Pitch, tone intent, attitude, energy.. It goes beyond the notes. Not easy.

Bottom line - In order to REALLY nail someone's "thing" you gotta spend more than an hour ... more like weeks or months to grasp the subtitles of the players style. For example - Jimmy doesn't "nail all the bends" either! My bend in the second phrase nails the pitch... but it stands out to me as a little to buttoned up.. Jimmy's is just a hair flat... in that good blues way.. It's got some slop in it... "Dead on" is not a blues mentality at all. This is the kind of detail of which I speak.

I am having fun with it. Glad people seem to be getting something from the effort.

Cheers bro!

I know how tough it is believe! I made a few vid series like "sultans.." and "stranglehold" that were TOO MUCH WORK! So I hear ya with the 1 hr idea. And this is prob why I have not done any in awhile myself. I like the solos you have taken on, and the brevity. Like "Whole lotta love" I don't need to sit thru a 15 minutes painfully slow explaination.....blah....my 3rd finger is at the...no my 2nd finger..sorry..

..they are lessons that someone at the right level can quickly get. Very well done!

:thu:

• Members

Loved it.

I reckon when you post something under the heading of "Note for note" you absolutely have to expect feedback about which bits aren't exactly note for note. Often it will be the case that no-one can agree on what exactly is going on in a section, or it may be that you just didn't nail the nuance.

I know you know this :)

The reason I'm saying it is that I reckon you can leave off the explanation now of why it's not as good as you'd be able to do profressionally or with more time. Yep, dude, we totally get that :)

So the productive discussion is whether or not you agree with the observations about what parts aren't spot on. If you agree, then everyone can nod their head and say "yep, we all agree how that bit is supposed to go". If you don't agree, and you think it's spot on, that's the more interesting part :)

GaJ

PS: have you considered making the backing tracks available? You could point to them at your website, and increase traffic to there :)

• Members

In many cases the notes in question are exactly that - in question... In many cases due to the performance nature of music, I would suspect the artist who play these solos, may not be able to tell you EXACTLY what they played that day. If you went to see Zeppelin live and he played this solo EXACTLY as i wrote it people would walk away talking about how awesome Jimmy was... So it's perception too.

Many of these solos - when played live - differ from this one day they did the recording. That is the nature. When you write it - you are allowed creative license I understand that. But the purpose here is for people to learn these to PLAY THEM with their bands etc. Which will then fall back into the plus/minus depth of the players abilities to execute it "perfectly".

So calling it "note for note" I am comfortable with. I understand that there will be niggling moments where a cymbal or a bass note jars the note making it not clear. Also understanding people WILL point out something they disagree with. (FWIW - On another forum I had a guy challenge me on a bend and the amount (not my performance of it) ....in the end he was wrong... not even close to correct. He soon vanished.)

I think a lot of people often don't do their homework. Or possibly have been playing it wrong for a long time. Also many learned it from a magazine - if it's in print it MUST be correct right? - What they don't realize is that a guy just like me did the transcription. Other times I am just plain wrong... heard it, or wrote it down wrong.... as I said I am OK with this.

Again, for me this is all about time - not as an excuse - I just don't have much of it. That is part of MY personal challenge. If I can ape these things in under an hour - complete, I feel pretty good about that. Remember, I do these for me first - it's fun, I love the analysis, and I really enjoy helping others. Feels good to pay it back as music has done so much for me. I don't really choose to defend or address specific note choices (though I am fine to discuss). Nor do I want to potentially embarrass someone if they are maybe not right in their criticism. That ain't my thing. I just choose to leave it lie and let people choose for themselves if it sounds good. If so, they will use it. If not it was still fun for me.

win - win

P.S. Backing tracks is an interesting idea ... albeit mine are VERY minimal. I only do them to give the harmonic setting.

Archived