Fretboard print outs

Yer Blues

• Members

I am looking to write down arpeggios and chords up and down the neck. I was thinking diagramming them on a fretboard is the best way to go about this. What type of fretboard print outs do you guys do to do this?

I'm guessing something like this would work fine.....

guitar_fretboard_diagram_24.jpg

• Members

I'm not sure what you mean by 3d board diagrams? I'm just trying to have something to print out so I can write down arpeggios up an down the neck and have a separate page for each one. I may not end up doing it for each one..... I'm just curious to see if seeing it on paper will open up anything verses seeing it in my head.

• Moderators
Quote Originally Posted by Yer Blues View Post
I am looking to write down arpeggios and chords up and down the neck. I was thinking diagramming them on a fretboard is the best way to go about this. What type of fretboard print outs do you guys do to do this?

I'm guessing something like this would work fine.....
Working out the arpeggio fingerings via a fretboard diagram can be a very powerful first step to learning both the arpeggios, the fretboard and eventually chord voicings and scales. Allow me to offer a couple of thoughts:

1) the diagrams you have posted are fine for this. But you could also just use a simple grid (something like an Excel spreadsheet) to accomplish the same thing. The reduced spacing further up the neck is less important than the shapes and degree positions.

2) consider mapping out all the chord tones of a chord over the entire fretboard diagram - before - you start to work-out the individual arpeggio fingerings. Starting with a chord map may help you find alternate fingerings that are not as obvious as some of the most common arpeggios.

3) one common way to approach this is to start with a fretboard map of some major key (listing all the notes in their proper locations on the fretboard diagram) and then after making multiple copies, start highlighting the notes on one particular chord type, then do another chord type on another fretboard map. Repeat for each diatonic chord and you'll have created seven chord maps for the key.

4) later, you can do the same thing using the degree numbers of the major scale and/or chord degrees.

5) lastly, you may want to take one particular chord map and use it to learn all of the possible arpeggio fingerings for that one chord. Then try to repeat in a new key without creating a new chord map. Do this for every chord type in every key and you'll quickly find you have learned all the arpeggios, and all the chord spelling and arpeggio fingerings for every key.

Note #5 above is a lot of work, but you'd be amazed how powerful this exercise can be. There's no substitute for hard work and you'll never regret having learning all this stuff.

Congrat's and good luck !!

PS If you start with triad arpeggios and learn them all, you can move the major triads onto maj 69 arpeggios (the major pentatonic scale) / minor traids onto min7 add 11 chords (the minor pentatonic scale) / major triads onto dom9 chords (the dominant pentatonic scale) / diminished triads onto min7b5 b13 chords (the diminished pentatonic scale aka the 3rd mode of the dominant pentatonic scale).

Any work along these lines with do amazing things for your knowledge of the fretboard, chord spellings, key knowledge and general theoretical knowledge.

• Members

How would you use Excel for this? I am pretty handy with Excel. Are you just talking about making your own "six strings" and printing it out? My hand writing is horrible, so if I could type it on a computer without it taking a bunch of time I'd definitely be down for it. Maybe I am over thinking it?

How do you feel about mapping stuff I already know, i.e. major/minor arpeggios and the 7 modes? It is pretty engraved in my brain, but everything is built off them.

This is not something I'm rushing to do..... I'm not going to take an actual guitar out of my hands to do it. But, I figured it would be something good to start when I get a few spare minutes at work.

• Members
How do you feel about mapping stuff I already know, i.e. major/minor arpeggios and the 7 modes? It is pretty engraved in my brain, but everything is built off them.
It's probably worth doing. The simple act of writing it down will test how well you really know it, and seeing it written down might open your eyes to something you missed before.

Also, for what it's worth, the newest issue of Guitar Player - with Earl Slick on the cover - has a pretty long 'ten things' article about the fretboard and they map out a lot of stuff. Might be an interesting starting point for doing it yourself.

• Moderators
How would you use Excel for this? I am pretty handy with Excel. Are you just talking about making your own "six strings" and printing it out? My hand writing is horrible, so if I could type it on a computer without it taking a bunch of time I'd definitely be down for it. Maybe I am over thinking it?
You are over-thinking it a bit. But that's OK, nobody ever died from thinking too much. ;-)

Absolutely! Start with what you already know, then work out the stuff you want to learn. Maps are a great way to gain additional perspective on the fretboard. Just don't ever confuse having a bunch of fretboard maps with fretboard knowledge. Mapping out the fretboard is a great exercise, but after you've done them, hide them away and work to imprint that information directly into your head. The end product here is a purely mental map of the fretboard. Visualization is the key.

This is not something I'm rushing to do..... I'm not going to take an actual guitar out of my hands to do it. But, I figured it would be something good to start when I get a few spare minutes at work.
I spend a lot of time practicing the guitar when I'm doing any manner of mindless things while traveling, waiting in line, out walking, etc. There's a significant mental-side to musicianship, this kind of visualization is perfect. One possible Excel fretboard diagram is attached below.

cheers,

[ATTACH]349479[/ATTACH]

Archived