Quadrafuzz software VS hardware

planetdust

• Members

Hi Guys,

I absolutely love the Quadrafuzz plug-in by Steinberg and Craig Anderton.

Multiband distortions are the way to go for me!

I saw that there's a hardware version of Quadrafuzz available from Paia as a kit.

Can anybody tell me what is the difference between the plug-in and hardware versions? which one is better in your opinion?

And also, is the hardware difficult to assemble?

Thanks!

:)

• Members

wow, i don't think many people will of had tried that here.

but it all depends, if the hardware is a digital unit it may sound exactly the same as the software plug-in.

i'd say that if you're looking into hardware units you'd need it to be playing out live, are you playing out live?

• Members

The hardware version sounds great in my totally biased opinion LOL, but compared to the software, it's more limited. The components for the hardware version were chosen VERY carefully to hit all the sweet spots, and being able to adjust the level controls for the four bands, along with the ultra-primitive speaker emulator circuit at the output and the drive controls, give you a lot of options. But the Steinberg version lets you adjust crossover points for the filters, and also, has more distortion models than just the red LED distortion elements in the original.

I didn't have high hopes for the Quadrafuzz when Steinberg said they wanted to virtualize it, because I just love the sound of the hardware unit. But the guy who did the coding is a guitar player, and he "got" it immediately. I think he did an incredible job, it's one of the best virtualizations of hardware I've heard.

Does that answer your question?

• Members

Hey, Thanks for the replies :thu:

Indeed, what makes the software shine is the crossover control.

I think that the Steinberg plug-in is the only software distortion unit that I like, as it just sounds right. I guess that distortion is a hard thing to model in software as so many developers tried and failed to capture it.

Craig: sound-wise, do you think that there's a major difference between the hardware and software? I don't plan to use it on-stage only in the studio.

Also, could crossover control be added to the hardware unit or is this too complicated to implement?

• Members

Craig: sound-wise, do you think that there's a major difference between the hardware and software? I don't plan to use it on-stage only in the studio.

The software Quadrafuzz can get the same sounds as the hardware version, and more.

Also, could crossover control be added to the hardware unit or is this too complicated to implement?

Waaay too complicated!

I just wish I could find a version of the QFuzz plug-in that works in programs other than Cubase...I can't install the plug-in any more since Windows XP came along :mad:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

This is why I wish more companies would freeware/open source their products when they stop supporting them. Quadrafuzz is not for sale anywhere as a separate plugin but a quick Google search provides dozens of torrent links to the old Steinberg/Spectral Design DX version. :cop:

• Members

And also, is the hardware difficult to assemble?

Thanks!

:)

i assembled the hardware version several years ago .... i would put it in the medium-high catagory of kit projects .... the parts count is fairly high and there's lots of shielded cable to deal with ...

that being said, it still works fine for me ... and it's quite versatile ... the gain is just outrageous ... :love:

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Members

Hi,

Love the QuadraFuzz. For some bizarre reason I have never used it on guitar. But it is often in use for drums (both loops and individual sounds) and for my basses.

Mine works well with Windows XP. Once the DLL is installed by the older Cubase version in which it was included I have found that I can move it freely to another sequencer's VST folder.

Cheers,

Mats N

Archived