I really like GuitarRig 4 - full tune included

Mats Nermark

• Members

Hi,

I have just finished my first tune using GR4. Fact is, I got the Komplete 6 package and every sound in this tune is either guitar (Tyler SE HD) or bass (Sandberg Bullet Special) through Guitar Rig 4 or Battery or Kontakt 4. That's why I named the tune "All In The Box".

Please note that Kontakt 4 generated Rhodes, Hammond and horn section. All "funny sounds" were guitar and GuitarRig 4. I was influenced by spending time with Craig Anderton at NAMM, hearing his "weird and funny" take on electric guitar.

I think I can get the lead guitar to sit slightly better in the mix but I wanted to get it published so I settled for this which I still think is OK.

Guitar and bass recorded using the NI GR4 Mobile very inexpensive audio I/O. Great feel with that unit.

Above all GR4 is a joy to play.

http://nermark.articulateimages.com/2009/funk/All_In_The_Box_091006.mp3

Cheers,

Mats N

• Members

I have Guitar Rig 3 and I want to buy the upgrade to GR4. Do you guys know if that upgrade will install onto GR3 and make it a new verison (and in that case still keep me all the GR3 content as is) or will it install as a 2nd software?

Hi,

It will install as 2nd software but with an added bonus. When you install GR4 it asks you if you want to import your GR3 patches.

Cheers,

Mats N

• Members

Hi,

It will install as 2nd software but with an added bonus. When you install GR4 it asks you if you want to import your GR3 patches.

Cheers,

Mats N

Cool . Thanks!

Your clip sounds awesome, by the way :thu:

GREAT sound and GREAT playing!

So if I got the Guitar Rig 4 upgrade I'd have two different software I could use?

Do you have both GR3 and 4?

Does GR4 have everything that's in GR3 or would it still make sense to keep using GR3 next to GR4?

Lars

• Members

Cool . Thanks!

Your clip sounds awesome, by the way
:thu:
GREAT sound and GREAT playing!

So if I got the Guitar Rig 4 upgrade I'd have two different software I could use?

Do you have both GR3 and 4?

Does GR4 have everything that's in GR3 or would it still make sense to keep using GR3 next to GR4?

Lars

GR4 has everything that GR3 has. So far I personally see no reason to use GR3 if I have GR4.

Cheers,

Mats N

• Members

GR4 has everything that GR3 has. So far I personally see no reason to use GR3 if I have GR4.

Cheers,

Mats N

OK, I see.

In that case you could just install GR4 and de-install GR3, or would I need to keep GR3 installed if I get GR4 as an upgrade?

• Members

Hey Mats,

Nice song - very tasty, nice playing, mix, sounds. I like it!

And I want to also say I like GR4 better than GR3. It just sounds better and I thought GR3 was pretty good. There were some GR3 sounds that sounded like they were recorded in a box or something but everything I've tried in GR4 sounds like you could use it as is in a recording - like you've done.

• Members

i can also recommend Guitar Rig 4 .... i bought 3 over the summer and Native Instruments sent me an e-mail with a free coupon for the GR4 update ....:thu:

the install went very smoothly ...

the level of detail in Guitar Rig is fairly high .... one niggle: the preset system is a bit clogged up for my taste .... but for some, they may really like this feature ...

as far as sound quality goes, ( which is my main concern ), i give Guitar Rig 4 ( and Guitar Rig 3 ) a 9/10....

• Members

I'm a newb at this guitar rig software stuff - do you guys thinks its truly better than using a processor for recording? I use a tech 21 PSA 1 pre amp for recording currently. One of my firends got some really impressive results with the GR3 software. I couldn't believe it was actually software generated guitar tone. I hazard to say it may be better than the PSA 1 tones.

I think you can get the bare bones GR4 for like $120? do you really need the foot pedal control? that adds alot of cost

• Members

do you really need the foot pedal control? that adds alot of cost

No, you don't!

It's nice to have but not a necessity.

What you do need to have to get good results is a guitar friendly sound card.

I can't recommend the GR4 Mobile I/O. Feels and sounds good.

Cheers,

Mats N

• Members

Can't say I like the song, it's very cheesy, but the guitar part/effects sound ok. I'd do some work on the mix, the guitar part for being the main element of the song is very narrow sounding. It needs to be wider.

The drums need some work, not enough velocity variation, same with most of the other parts, and the synth stabs/horns are sooooooo cheesy they sound like an old casio home synth.

• Members

What makes a guitar friendly sound card? specifics

A guitar friendly sound card IMHO is a card that lets you and your guitar behave like you usually do when playing an ordinary amp. I.e. reacts properly to playing dynamics, changes of guitar volume and tone and should be OK with you hooking up a few choice analog guitar pedals between the guitar and sound card input.

I have tried a few sound cards and while they work very well with microphones and line input I have felt that the guitar/instrument input made the guitar feel sort of cold, flat and responsive.

Cheers,

Mats N

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Sounds excellent! I'm only using the built-in amps that come with Logic 9 atm, and am getting some decent sounds with those. I'll have to check out GR4 as well.

Hi Tom,

Glad you like it. I haven't had the chance to check out the Logic 9 amps yet but will as soon as the proper opportunity presents itself.

Cheers,

Mats N

• Members

Guys, as for a hardware I remember I used to have a huge latency when connecting my guitar to the PC with the demo version of Revalver. It means that I need a USB audio interface right? Which one though? I'm thinking the cheapest I can find which is Behringer... does it really matter?

• Members

does it really matter?

Hi,

Yes it matters. This is probably what matters the most. The sound card and the software that goes with it decides if the guitar signal will be properly taken care of. This decides not only if it will sound good. It also determines how it will feel to play the guitar. Not to forget the important factor of latency.

My suggestion of a good sounding/feeling sound card with an excellent low latency driver is Native Instruments GuitarRig Mobile I/O. I have one and it just works great. I own a few other audio interfaces and none of them works as well with guitars as the the Mobile I/O.

Cheers,

Mats N

Archived