Guitar straight through PA

69LPC

• Members

hello, im trying to have a guitar set up that will make sound techs like me (cause for some reason they dont like 50watt tube amps! hahahhahahah) and that still sounds good......and cheap. yeah, i know i just want it all dont i lol. i was looking at some stuff from sans amp thats ment to do that but it really looks like all it is a distortion pedal with an EQ pedal and a active DI in one box. so im wondering. how would it sound i went from my guitar into say an ibanez tubescreamer into a MXR 10 band EQ into an active DI. i kinda tried this before but it was guitar into marshall gov nor 2 into a random cheap rack EQ straight into the board. it came across sounding very lifeless on the cleans and then on the drive it sounded mushy and muffled. im hoping that was just cause of the overall ehh sound of the gov nor and using an EQ rack that isnt ment for guitars and then whatever effect the active DI would have on the tone. basically, im wondering if i can run a bunch of single effects into a active DI and get the same resultes as something like a pod. i dont really see how it differs much but, how often does guitar gear really make all that much sense lol. thank you for any help in advanced!

• Members

You could try turning your amp around to blast into the rear wall instead of fighting the sound mans mix. Sometimes that is not so easy to live with when you can't hear or 'feel' your amp in stage mix....sometimes it can be good for you to hear what the audience is hearing. It all depends on so many different things though...do you have a mix out front with all instruments or is the PA primarily a vocal amplification system that the sound man uses to balance against the on stage drum kit and amps volume? Big room...little room...vocalist the only one with a monitor? etc. etc.

If your PA mix is everyone and you shield the sound man from the amps output and have a monitor mix at your feet you can hear all the players in the context of what the audience hears and what the sound man is trying to do, might help everyone sound tighter.

• Members

dthraco: no, having sound techs like you doesnt help you get gigs but it helps you keep re-occurring gigs like this (playing at my church weekly)

randombastage: see this is the thing that really gets me mad about this whole thing. i double up my 1/4th cable (ran a 1/4th into a DI and then a 1/4th out so it just connected the two) and push my amp all the way off stage (it used to be a theater so its OFF STAGE) and our sound system is HUGE like, we re-did our sound system and it was $160,00. we use avioms, and some really nice yamaha board (pop up LCD screen and it stores all the settings and it has powered faders) the building was originally built for plays and such. and its 744 chairs. i mean. its a GOOD set up. and yet. they still complain that im too loud! really makes me mad. they are used to the other guitarist that plays who only runs a pod xt live. the stage has to be COMPLETELY silent (minus drums of course) and when its not they get unhappy. i know. its completely unreasonable. but theres not much that i can do. i think for no since i have moved my amp off stage really far now and im actually gonna build a backing that i can slip on and off of the the amp (its open back) and i also found a piece of plexi glass left over from our drum shield that i can cut so it will fold around the front of my amp there will not be any problems.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Hi friends new member and interested in playing guitar. I have less idea about guitar . Which type of guitar i should buy, base or electric and where to go for training ? You people are senior member and i wish you could help me. :) Hopping a quick reply.

• Members
Hi friends new member and interested in playing guitar. I have less idea about guitar . Which type of guitar i should buy, base or electric and where to go for training ? You people are senior member and i wish you could help me.
:)
Hopping a quick reply.

Electric.

Are you in LA? If you are, then Pebber Brown is your man for lessons.

• Members

dthraco: no, having sound techs like you doesnt help you get gigs but it helps you keep re-occurring gigs like this (playing at my church weekly)

I made this discovery last Sunday. People in church have a completely different expectation of volume from regular 'gigs' or bands. I got told to turn down with my 15W Fender Superchamp XD turned to '3' which is really not loud when you take into consideration things like crowd noise.

I too have been thinking of how to get round this.

Firstly, I think it comes from taking phychology of the other people into consideration.

Don't make any loud noises until other people do. I made this mistake trying to warm up and test out my gear before we started rehearsing/sound checking. Test it out, but at really low volumes (ones that don't really draw attention to yourself) then turn up when the rest of the band start playing.)

Secondly, put your amp as far away from other people in your band as you can get away with (sounds like you're already doing this).

Thirdly, if your amp really isn't loud at all and they say it is, stand up for yourself. Buy an SPL meter if need be.

Also, the better your playing (and guitar sound) fits in with the music the less complaints you'll get at any volume. Cover yourself here.

I think THD hot plate is a good suggestion (you also get a line out after power stage) or get a small combo but I suspect some people in church will feel the electric guitar is too loud if they can hear it at all over the singing.

• Members

and i also found a piece of plexi glass left over from our drum shield that i can cut so it will fold around the front of my amp there will not be any problems.

This is always a big challenge. Especially with churches. At my church I do run direct, through a Sansamp Liverpool (with good results IMHO), but still need a little amp on stage for my personal control. I don't always trust the sound guy to give enough in the monitors. So I bring my little VOX pathfinder, and have it beside me, tilted back a little. And I built a little plexi-glass shield for it as well. I've gone off the stage to check the results of the plexi, and it really makes a good difference. The sound is nice, but there aren't any hot-spots in front of it, and I can still hear it clearly on stage.

• Members

I've been going ampless with great success, but it seems that there are two main schools of thought:

1. The pedal guys - these guys LOVE their FX pedals. Can't get by without them. They seem to perfer SansAmp pedals out front so they can still play with all their favorite gadgets every gig.

2. The "amp" guys - these guys LOVE the sound of their amps and tend to lean towards the big multiFX like Line6, Digitech, Boss, etc. This way they can switch between different amp sounds to better suit their playing sound.

It's really two schools of thought, and there's no right or wrong way to do it. Just what sounds best to your ears.

Personally I prefer my POD XTLive. Couldn't get by without it. I use a powered PA top and place it either in front of or behind me every gig like a monitor or amp. Run a line from that to the mixer and the soundguys love me. Seems to work fine.

The only thing with the multiFX is that people really expect some miracle in a box. But you gotta get down there and tweak them to produce the best sounds.

• Members
Hi friends new member and interested in playing guitar. I have less idea about guitar . Which type of guitar i should buy, base or electric and where to go for training ? You people are senior member and i wish you could help me.
:)
Hopping a quick reply.

This is totally a setup to get someone to post the Wangcaster.

Archived