Sort of OT: Reason opened my eyes.

Yoozer

• Members

I still lean toward my hardware synths over software, wont argue that software sounds great but...hell I just like having a lot of machines around.

Software sampling is where its at though, hands down. I can appreciate an old hardware sampler for its sound, but for ease of use and sampling power, software all the way..

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This is what I have to say about Reason 3.0... this s/w has been nothing but a godsend since the first day I bought it. I couldn't believe how easy it was to navigate thru. I've been using Reason almost a year now and I haven't even scratched the surface. There is so much I can do with this thing. It does pretty much everything I want it to and more. The sounds are great and the programmability(Maelstrom!!) is awesome. Love the Rhodes sounds from the free Electromechanical refill. I had version 1 and couldn't even use it, as it was nothing more than some cheesy loop creation s/w built for young rapper wannabe teenagers. I use 3.0 for more than just an ideas pad. Sure, some of the sounds aren't exactly the best, but that's what the EX7 and the MicroKorg are for.

In other words... REASON RAWKS:thu:

• Members
Originally posted by silver_shake

Have u actually listened to that album where they used Reason exclusively? It sounds hella distorted, over compressed, over limited. It sounds weak and thin.

This album (where they pretty much exclusively used reason for production) is there worst album so far IMO. And i'm actually a big fan of Prodigy.

I don't mean to be Rude but this is a very bad example
:confused:

I understand...

I just don't think Reason sounds as bad as people make it out to be. It can sound "thin and compressed", no doubt. But I've been able to get some great results with it. I am using Analogue Monsters X and Orange 2 Refills along with my own hi-quality samples of a Super JX.

I have constructed samples on this thing that sound so close to the original you couldn't tell in a blindfold test! However, start pulling those filters and it won't sound as good. Propellerhead's filters are efficient but not the highest quality.

I've been listening to Prodigy since Charly, and honestly their production has never been exceptional - but decent.

There are few electronic music artists whose production can actually stand up on reference systems - perhaps BT, Lusine, Telefon Tel Aviv, and some others come to mind.

Wasn't a huge fan of the last album either, but there are a few good tracks in there that have grown a little more on me. Regardless, it IS a good example for using Reason to getting things done. How there album sounds, is by no means Reason's doing... it has everything to do with engineering done post.

I think it is clear in my post that obviously a $400 software app can't truly compare in terms of sound quality with a $10000+ rig.

I just used Reason last night to get some ideas down, and although it worked well, I'll be reaching for a more complex compositional tool such as Logic or DP for notation.

If I had the choice between going with Logic, DP or Reason I wouldn't pick Reason. The new version of Logic is awesome, and same with Digital Performer 5.

Reason - It's fun and almost effortless.

;)

• Members

I should not even have mentioned Reason in my post, I now see :(.

All it did was show me that sampling can indeed be painless, quick and fun. So I went out and bought a plugin geared towards sampling specifically. For the rest Reason hasn't come into play much anymore.

Though, ReDrum is excellent.

• Members
Originally posted by orangefunk

... why can't it be like Cubase... damn...

Oh sure! If Reason was anything like Cubase(at least the Cubase SE that I tried installing previously), I'd still be stuck trying to get the damn thing to work. :freak:

• Members

Originally posted by mildbill

tuck - i'm really sorry to hear cubase didn't work out for you. it's by far my favorite sequencer.

i'm a little curious as to why you switched from cakewalk after using it for 8 years tho?

CWPA 8 has definitely served me well over those years. A few years ago, I thought of upgrading to something like Sonar, but didn't have the money for it at the time. Lately, I've restarted my quest for a new DAW. Originally, Tracktion 2 garnered my interest, but the prices of Sonar Home Studio and Cubase SE caught my eye. Like I had mentioned in the "Need Budget DAW" thread, I didn't need anything with a lot of bells and whistles. Even the sequencer in Reason was adequate for a while. Ended up getting Cubase SE. Cubase SE was actually on clearance at GC, so I saved about $20. Ordered Tracktion 2 from Sweetwater after I got increasingly frustrated with SE. Still adapting to the interface, I will be only be using it for audio right now until I get more accustomed with MIDI recording on it.

• Members
Originally posted by mildbill

yoozer - don't you have an emu card? haven't you checked out the emulator and proteus x?:

http://www.emu.com/

Emulator X2 would've been just as expensive and what I read about Kontakt was more positive. I know that there's nice filter types in the E-mu and stuff like that, but I feel I've got the most bang for the buck with this one.

Proteus X is merely a sound module (of which I have enough by now ;) ).

Archived