How's the Roland GR-30?

Polaris20

• Members

Dated sound engine, but there are still useable tones. Used to own one, I still use a gr33. The 33 is a better unit, having the foot pedal, and better sounds, but the gr30 is still a good unit, especially considering how affordable it is now.

I recommend really delving in and learning each aspect of its sound modules, build some sounds from scratch. Theres something like 384 tonal elements in the sound module you can combine to create sounds from.

• Members

Dated sound engine, but there are still useable tones. Used to own one, I still use a gr33. The 33 is a better unit, having the foot pedal, and better sounds, but the gr30 is still a good unit, especially considering how affordable it is now.

I recommend really delving in and learning each aspect of its sound modules, build some sounds from scratch. Theres something like 384 tonal elements in the sound module you can combine to create sounds from.

Cool, thanks for the advice. Looks like I have a lot of tinkering to do once I get it. Any idea if I can "tune" the output to be like a 6-string bass, i.e. BEADGC? I was looking through the PDF for the user manual, but it was kinda unclear as to what works as far as alternate string tuning outputs.

• Members

I've owned a GR50, GR30, and currently a GR33 and VG99. While the GR30 doesn't have some of the upgrades and sound set of the GR33, it's still a very decent unit. The fact that Robert Fripp from King Crimson uses one is a good endorsement. I've often advised people who were considering the GR20 to look for a used GR30 instead. The sound engine in it is based on the Roland Sound Canvas - while not the most exciting synth it's got some decent sounds. I use guitar synths mainly for ambient sounds, pads, textures, and some leads and there were some good ones in there, especially after some editing and tweaking. Like with any of the Roland guitar synths, you'll find that some patches will track better than others, so you may want to go through them and make note of them. Have fun with it!

• Members

I suggest you join the Yahoo GR-30 group here:

Done, thanks!

So far I'm really digging it. Tracks way better than my GI-20 into Mac setup did, so I am quite pleased in that regard. The stock presets positively blow, but that's no different than when you buy any other Roland/Boss, Digitech, or Line6 unit. You've got to start from scratch and tweak.

I'm just really blown away by the difference in tracking accuracy and speed though, compared to the GI-20. I spent over a year tweaking the 20, actually more adjustments than actual playing, and never got what I wanted out of it. The GR30 is more satisfying already, after only an hour.

• Members

Its for all these reasons why Robert Frip still uses his GR-30 today.

and Reeves Gabrels toured the world with David Bowie 1997-1998 with a GR-30.

Yeah I can see why. With the Graphtech Ghost system, it's quite impressive.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I have a GR-50 and a GR-30. The GR-50 is from 1988. The GR-50 could play 2 different sounds on each string, for as total of 12 tones at once. It has the old D-20 technology. It also has 12 Midi channel outs. 2 different sound on each string. The GR-30 does 6 Midi Channels out but only 2 sounds at once. The GR-30 is easy to program with many usable sound. Here's a GR-30 tip. Give your string sounds faster attack by setting Attack minus 15 for the First and Second Tone.

In Jan 2011 Roland Corp will put out their latest Guitar Synth. It will be a floor unit around $800. It will have that feature from the GR-50 except you can have 4 different sounds per string. I know everyone who now plays a guitar synth will get one and music will never be the same again. :thu:

• Members

In Jan 2011 Roland Corp will put out their latest Guitar Synth. It will be a floor unit around $800. It will have that feature from the GR-50 except you can have 4 different sounds per string. I know everyone who now plays a guitar synth will get one and music will never be the same again.
:thu:

If this happens, this next-gen guitar synth had better be good.

In 2010, it seems like guitarists who use guitar synths still use them like glorified stompboxes, including the big name guys (Al Di Meola, Steve Morse, etc.). Pat Metheny is the one big name guitarist doing something interesting with MIDI guitar. He did contribute to the "play a trumpet solo on my guitar" thing, but now he's triggering MIDI sequences instead of just individual notes with his guitar and a vast array of footpedals.

• Members

In Jan 2011 Roland Corp will put out their latest Guitar Synth. It will be a floor unit around $800. It will have that feature from the GR-50 except you can have 4 different sounds per string. I know everyone who now plays a guitar synth will get one and music will never be the same again.
:thu:

And how exactly do you know this? Do you have a friend that works at the Roland MIDI guitar division or something? Do you have any proof of this happening? (Such as verifiable links, etc.)

Will it's converter for MIDI modules like the yamaha motif XS rack for example be as fast as the axon ax 100 MK II?

I checked on the Roland US site and did not find a hint of anything. It would be great if it was true, though.

• Members

And how exactly do you know this? Do you have a friend that works at the Roland MIDI guitar division or something? Do you have any proof of this happening? (Such as verifiable links, etc.)

I checked on the Roland US site and did not find a hint of anything. It would be great if it was true, though.

I'd be interested to the answer to this question too. This is the first I've heard anything about it.

• Members

I have the GR-20.... It's killer and for stage use it's fabulous.... But they need to stick an arpeggiator back in it and make it a little more customizable. But for what it is I can't complain... I'm keeping my eye out for a deal on a GR-33 though. A new unit with some (Even if a limited amount of) V-guitar modelling added in would be a nice bonus... I'd like to be able to call up some modelled sounds with out going to a VG-88/99.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Don't want to hijack this thread. but does the GK-2 pickup work as a midi trigger for a synth module w/o the GR-20/33 unit?

Thanks!

No it won't. The GK-2 (or GK-3) is not a midi connection - it uses a Roland 13 pin cable that goes to a Roland GR or VG unit then you can midi out from there to a synth module. But you can't go directly from a GK pickup to a synth module.

• Members

No it won't. The GK-2 (or GK-3) is not a midi connection - it uses a Roland 13 pin cable that goes to a Roland GR or VG unit then you can midi out from there to a synth module.
But you can't go directly from a GK pickup to a synth module.

Gotcha, thanks!!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

How do you guys think these units compare to the GR-1?

I have two GR-1s, and I have to say i love the sounds...and I haven't really done anything w/ the gr-33 yet.

What I like about the GR-1 is that you can really get into some deep editing and really manipulate the sounds. i love the strange sounds this thing can make. I would never give this one up.

But I am interested in how the others track. I'd like to still use the GR-1 for ambient sounds and atmosphere, but i'd like something with better and faster tracking so I can rip off Vivaldi flute and violin solos :p

Will the GR-33 or GR-20 be a good machine for [faster] tracking?

• 10 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived