Line 6 POD HD news?

LowYaw

• Members

Just wondering if there is anything in this sort of thing for a bedroom player who just wants to plug into the front of a small tube amp (a Dr.Z mini Z 5 watt combo)?

I had a xt pro a few years ago and ran it into the guitar input of a ss Marshall micro stack and was never quite sure what I was getting i.e. just the effects?, the effects and the amp models or the whole thing with cab models etc.

From what I understood 'I think' I was just getting the effects as it would seem pretty strange to try and lay an amp emulation onto an amp with all of it's own characteristics (although changing an amp model on the xt definately changed the characteristics). Same thinking for the cab and mic emulations.

I guess a lot of you guys are running into mixing boards and onto power speakers,p.a.'s and computers or something equally clever or complex but for a weekend warrior that doesn't even really 'get' midi this is all a bit pointless.

Yeah, I would love the flexibility to shape my tone with the Mini Z and the fact it comes in an intergrated footboard format is great (although i had a FVB floorboard with the XT pro and it's was pretty awful)once the patches are set makes it practical but would such a product be a waste of money for that only just about has their head around 1/4 inch TR guitar cables?

If there is milage in such a product what would recommend it over say, an elevenrack and ground control pro (apart from price of course)

cheers

BigG

If all you're looking for are a bunch of effects without the amp modeling you could always try the M9 pedal board.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
There are a bunch of folks over at TGP that have pre-ordered, and many of them are getting notice that they won't get it until November...hopefully the early shipments can handle the demand
:)

Well, damn. :mad:

Guess I need to call Guitar Center and see what's up

• Members

I tried every store around my area on Friday....no hits. I tried Sam Ash today, which is about an hour away. I called first and they had one left. I got there and while they were processing my trade ins a guy came up and tried to buy mine....it was super funny because he tried to out bid me by $20. I didn't even bother testing it in the store, due to the pressure from the other guy who was pacing around the area, I guess he was hoping I'd bail.

When I got home I was super disappointed with the tone. Then I remembered my POD XT, and that I needed to select the correct output. I went through all the output and best output for my duel half-stacks was the 'power stack' out. The 'stack front' out killed all my lows. After changing the output, that {censored} was f**king insane. Huge upgrade from my pod XT.

The most impressive thing about the HD is it's dynamics. It truly feels like a tube amp. I have a Fender strat with a hotrails in the bridge. My bridge is super hot, and my neck is super not. I can go from clean to full distortion just by switching pick ups. On my Ibanez I can hit clean by dialing back to about 3 on volume. The J-800, the recto are the only two amps I have experience to contrast with and they both performed very similar to the amps. It was eerie how the gain on the POD amp felt, and sounded like the gain on the real amp.

Comparing the tone from the HD to the XT, which is what I was concerned about, it goes like this:

-No fizzy tones.
-No 'digital sound' when played lightly or with low volume.
-Amp sims SO FAR seem good.
-Mic port on the hd500
-Duel amps...this is something I've been super excited about but have yet to test. Since I have two half stacks I can't wait to make a super bad ass heavy amp, and a super bad ass mid gain amp to get a perfect overall tone.

I've never played an axe-fx, but I can't imagine them being much better then this.

Lastly, I sat in my basement for five f**king hours playing with this {censored}. It is super fun to play around with. Also the presets are garbage.

• Members

I bought the 300 yesterday, but am switching to the 500 today for 2 reasons.

1. On the 300 and 400 you can't turn off the cab sims (wtf?!?!) There is a switch on the back that disables the mic sim, but not the cab sim. I want to use this unit with guitar speakers most of the time instead of full range.

2. Most of the effects I like (compression, overdrive, eq's) are all in the first effects bank, which I can only choose one of. So I can't have an overdrive and an eq (wtf?!?!?!)

These design choices are completely ridiculous, and aren't even mentioned in L6's comparisons of the different units. These are the main reasons people will be upgrading to the 500.

• Members

I got mine (HD500) two days ago (Tuesday the 12th) from a GC, first of the nearby dealers to get some. A friend and I put 50 percent down to make sure we got the first two; otherwise, we were told November was likely. They had a lot of names on the list for the HD500.

It was worth the wait. I'm still sorting through it, but am finding the unit immensely pleasing, a notable upgrade from the X3.

Cheap advice - pay no attention to those who try it for an hour and declare "it sucks!". These units require an investment of time well beyond that. Do so and I believe you'll be very pleased.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived