VG-99 with issue for sale

randombastage

• Members

I've got a VG-99 for sale and it is fully functional but has a defective board, at least that is what Roland factory repair center in Los Angeles says. I sent it there and they called to tell me it was the board and it was a $600 repair.

They never opened the thing up (I could tell by the tape with my name on it I stuck on the bottom) but it is the second time a repair service diagnosed it as a bad board without opening up the case so maybe they know more than I do and that is the correct diagnosis.

The first tech who checked it out for me was local, recommended by roland. He said the board was bad and is a $400 part plus labor at his shop, I sent it off to Roland because he was waiting on a wiring diagram and it seemed like he might not be sure of what he was saying.

The symptom is it will randomly give off a static type of sound, like a white noise and if you have a lot of delay or reverb on the patch you are playing through it can be quite annoying...especially if you are trying to record something!

It isn't the 13 pin cord because it will make the sound with nothing plugged into it (except a set of headphones or a line out to monitor the sound obviously).

If you are just playing it is a minor nuisance because it doesn't last for more than a second or two at the most. The sound passes and then the volume of the guitar is slightly reduced (maybe 10%) for a second...then the volume builds back up and everything is fine for a while until next time the noise hits again and the cycle repeats itself.

I think it is a bad capacitor and what you hear is the capacitor discharge then it starts to store and pass voltage/current properly until it 'discharges' again. I've looked at the board and don't see anything obvious.

If you are good with electronics maybe you can locate the bad part and fix it yourself. Or you can order the board and make the repair.

I'm selling it for $100 plus shipping. They sell on ebay for between $600 and $850 usually. If I had the extra $400 I'd order the board and install it and either keep it or sell it for more than the board cost but I don't have the cash to fix it which is why I'm selling it. It is fully functional but it has this sporadic noise issue.

I'll be putting it on ebay in a few days but I thought maybe some of you guys might be interested.

• Members

As far as diagnosing stuff, synths/digital audio often have secret button pushes that bring up test routines and what not. And techs can always get in through midi/usb as well. Maybe yours has a known defect. Why are they charging to fix?

I'm out of the warranty period.

It started right after I bought it but it was so minor that I wasn't sure if it was the electrical supply in the house I was in then so I didn't want to send it off but now it has progressed to a true problem and I've moved on past the VG-99 so it just gathers dust. Once in a while I plug it in to use the D-beam as an external controller on the AxeFx just for the heck of it...I always loved that part of it. If I knew more about electronics I'd hack those bits out and create a stand alone D-beam midi box.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived