5 Great Free Android Apps for Guitarists

Will Chen

• Members

I posted this over at my site a week or so ago but thought you guys might enjoy it...

gStrings (cohortor.org) - Ever been caught at a rehearsal, or even worse a gig, without a tuner? Fear no more, gStrings offers a nice chromatic tuner. Included are optimization settings for a wide range of instruments (including guitar). The general feedback is that its as good as any affordable tuner in a music store. While actual accuracy hasn

• Members

Don't want to spoil the fun, but you might want to read this:

Pandora and what it does is specifically mentioned in this article.

Thanks for the link. This isn't really much more than the targeted info Pandora or any other online registered service might provide advertisers. While you get the illusion of anonymity when on the internet, that's really not the case. For example right here on HC, especially since you have to log in to post (meaning they likely have a valid email address), they can track your IP (even in the case of rotating IPs, a log is kept by your ISP), your general location (down to city), what site you were referred from, how long you were here, what you looked at and for how long, what browser your using, what operating system your using, at what resolution you viewed the content, and a bit more depending on which web analytics company they're using. And this is without the use of any tracking cookies.

I'm not one of those folks who's too paranoid about privacy in the digital age, it doesn't exist. IMHO trading a little bit of info for more targeted ad delivery is a fair exchange for the service Pandora provides.

• Members

For example right here on HC, especially since you have to log in to post (meaning they likely have a valid email address), they can track your IP (even in the case of rotating IPs, a log is kept by your ISP), your general location (down to city), what site you were referred from, how long you were here, what you looked at and for how long, what browser your using, what operating system your using, at what resolution you viewed the content, and a bit more depending on which web analytics company they're using. And this is without the use of any tracking cookies.

Well, we actually only receive some of that info (email address, ISP, length of visit, etc.) but FWIW email addresses aren't sold or given away, and even the newsletter is automatic opt out - you have to specifically request. So, we don't take advantage of that info. Maybe that's just old school...

• Members

Well, we actually only receive some of that info (email address, ISP, length of visit, etc.) but FWIW email addresses aren't sold or given away, and even the newsletter is automatic opt out - you have to specifically request. So, we don't take advantage of that info. Maybe that's just old school...

I wasn't implying that you guys sell or necessarily use the info, but its there for you to peruse. I don't sell the info gathered at my site either, just find it fascinating how much is available...

• Members

Wow great! need to check these out...

Thanks for the link. This isn't really much more than the targeted info Pandora or any other online registered service might provide advertisers. While you get the illusion of anonymity when on the internet, that's really not the case. For example right here on HC, especially since you have to log in to post (meaning they likely have a valid email address), they can track your IP (even in the case of rotating IPs, a log is kept by your ISP), your general location (down to city), what site you were referred from, how long you were here, what you looked at and for how long, what browser your using, what operating system your using, at what resolution you viewed the content, and a bit more depending on which web analytics company they're using. And this is without the use of any tracking cookies.

I'm not one of those folks who's too paranoid about privacy in the digital age, it doesn't exist. IMHO trading a little bit of info for more targeted ad delivery is a fair exchange for the service Pandora provides.

Maybe you don't care, but I do. Info collected from smart phones contains a lot more private information than the info collected from your IP or ISP. Next step could be recording all your phone calls, steal your addresses, phone numbers and text messages and sell it to any idiot who

• Members
Maybe you don't care, but I do. Info collected from smart phones contains a lot more private information than the info collected from your IP or ISP. Next step could be recording all your phone calls, steal your addresses, phone numbers and text messages and sell it to any idiot who

• Members
If its something which bugs one enough, its easy enough to simply unplug and walk away. Nobody is forcing anyone to use Google, Smart Phones, Pandora, etc...

There is no privacy in the digital age. It has been that way for a long time. We can choose to live in fear and paranoia, or accept that times have changed. However, I should note that the activity you are describing is criminally suspect.
Whenever you install and App on an Android, it tells you what functions of your phone it wants to access
. A few I've downloaded seemed slightly dubious and I've skipped as a result. As the market is tested, new rules and laws will be cast as a result. I should ad that in this digital world where our information is supposedly so fragile and handled haphazardly, the 3 cases of identity theft involving folks I've known have all been initiated the old fashioned way via mail fraud and/or direct theft of credit cards.

Read the article again, information is being sent without your consent. And preserving your privacy has nothing to do with paranoia as you suggest :facepalm: The way you put it, it is my fault information is stolen and sold, you should know better than that.

I simply do not accept others sell my private information just because I use a smart phone or use a particular operating system.

Selling private information is a crime, whatever Google or Apple say about it is irrelevant.

• Members

Read the article again, information is being sent without your consent. And preserving your privacy has nothing to do with paranoia as you suggest
:facepalm:
The way you put it, it is my fault information is stolen and sold, you should know better than that.

I simply do not accept others sell my private information just because I use a smart phone or use a particular operating system.

Selling private information is a crime, whatever Google or Apple say about it is irrelevant.

I reread as you suggested, and am still unalarmed. Just as the article stated, installed a Pandora upgrade yesterday and it told me explicitly what functions of my phone it wants to access. This is required of any app running on Android. Any user has the option of not installing any app which they feel is accessing areas/functionality within their phone which they don't feel comfortable with. If an app states its going to access one's GPS and you install it anyway and then it acesses GPS, one shouldn't be surprised. Any app/service which relies on ad revenue to survive (as is the case with Pandora) can generate better revenue by providing better targeting of ads. If this really worries you as much as you suggest, then get ready to move into a cave as Minority Report style retinal scanning is now a reality...

http://thetechjournal.com/tech-news/mexican-city-installing-eye-scanners-to-track-people-is-this-the-end-of-privacy.xhtml

Archived