Builders... MOVE YOUR JACKS!!!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Seriously?
Anyone else agree?

We started offering that a couple of years ago and didn't get many takers. Mainly because no other pedals were set-up like that. I've always thought it to be a smart idea and have used this arrangement on pedals I've made for myself.

It makes pedalboards a lot roomier and takes the strain completely off of right angle patch cords.

Guest Anonymous

I agree. But more people asked for the small MXR sized box than for jacks up top. Doing all I can. :)

• Members

I agree with this for the most part, but I find that cramming all of the pots, jacks, circuit board, switch and battery into an enclosure is easier said than done. I usually end up taking a BB-sized enclosure and putting it the long way (like Frantone does) and positioning the jacks between the pots for more clearance. I've never measured it, but wonder if I save any room over the tall way and jacks on the side.

The problem is that a Hammond BB is a little too low to easily put the jacks near the pots, especially if you have to place the PCB over the pots on standoffs. If it was half again as tall, it would be perfect. They are available, but not at the same prices at the BBs at Smallbear.

• Members

Originally posted by RoboPimp

please explain

usually width space is more valuable to people with pedalboards than depth space. look at pedalboards. most of the time, the width is completely maximized, but there is plenty of room depth-wise between each row of pedals. so by putting the jacks there, you can get rid of the bulk of space that cable plugs take up on the sides.

• Members

Originally posted by Dave Fox

It was a no-brainer for me from day one.

Well, truth be told, most folks can't afford to make their own custom enclosures. Also, your pedals make no bones about taking up space. They are all "Loud and Proud" on those pedalboards.

• Members

I was actually talking about the top side next to the pots. We tried this in an effort to gain some space in the enclosure. It turned out to be an efficient way of connecting pedals. W/the jacks in the upper right and left corners and the dc in the top center, the pedals fit together like blocks. W/properly cut r/a patch cables the look was very tidy. We also offered this as a re-house option that people still sometimes ask for.

• Members

I like using all-metal connectors, not cables between pedals. I put the jacks on my effects around "boss level" so I can use straight through or offest.

Although its not so nice to keep the effects so close together sometimes, and it might put more ware on the jacks, I think thats still a better risk than those patch cables. Seems more reliable to me.

• Members

Originally posted by edster

W/the jacks in the upper right and left corners and the dc in the top center, the pedals fit together like blocks.

If my pedals were that close together I wouldn't be able to turn stuff on an off very easily and would hit more than one fairly often. I need the space for my spastic foot to hit the pedal without much thinking or muscle control.

• Members

a couple of my pedals have the jacks on the top side, but they are both in the larger enclosures.

The stupid box could almost have the jacks on top, but right now i use the same drilling template as the liquid sunshine. Unfortunately I dont think i could ever do it with the liquid sunshine. The boards need to be mounted component side out so the trim pots can be accessed. Pretty much all available space is used. unless i PCB mounted everythign and used plastic jacks i dont think it could be changed.

The other thing is i cant stand mxr sized boxes to be that close together.... my feet arent huge, but im not a 12 yr old girl from 15th century china either.

One other thing to consider is that most of us use right angle jacks. if you have right angle jacks between two mxr sized pedals with the jacks on top i dont think you will be able to get them right next to each other with out the excess patch cable wire sticking straight up in the air.

What i really wish would happen is that the whole industry would adopt a new standard, and we could get away from teh whole telphone switchboard technology we are all using.

• Members
Originally posted by 80k

usually width space is more valuable to people with pedalboards than depth space. look at pedalboards. most of the time, the width is completely maximized, but there is plenty of room depth-wise between each row of pedals. so by putting the jacks there, you can get rid of the bulk of space that cable plugs take up on the sides.

oh hahaha! I get it!

"How many gadgets can I fit into a cute little suitcase."

honestly no one I know even uses a pedal board. We mostly focus on playing music, not effects ;)
:D

• Members

Originally posted by red_riviera

So as a compromise, does anyone know where you can get narrow jack connectors? Like this, but not cranked:

The straight ones will eventually break the PCB connections if you have pedals with jacks mounted straight on the PCBs. Even the cranked ones aren't great.

I used to do my pedals with the jacks on the far end, but it makes the internal wiring rather messy - it's hard to retain a clear space for the battery while still keeping the footswitch far enough from the knobs.

Archived