Boss Dr-550 and other drum machine advice needed.

• Members

Hi !

I could get a old DR-550 (not the mark2) and wonder if it's worth it. What I need is a basic drum machine (no need for bass sounds) with sounds I can at least edit a bit. No absolute need for internal effects... I've got a few effects modules I can hook up to the machine. I read the DR-550 offers a few controls over the sounds it has : color, decay, pan, accent, etc. Are these pretty effective ? I mean do they "do" something noticeable ?

Other question : Is it worth it to get a DR-550 over an Alesis SR-16 or a Zoom RT-223 I would pay twice the price for ?

Thanks !

• Members

Originally posted by Lancaster

How much can you get the DR-550 for?

It's a nice, easy machine to use and program, but it's limited by today's standards and doesnt have very good MIDI implementation ( doesnt support Song Pointer Position).

Yeah, I went seeing it... it's as you say. I guess I'll just keep on looking.

• Members

for the price of the dr-550 used you can get a r-8 mk II.

it will take expansion cards to boost the soundset but still is limited in the sounds it has available.

a better option is just to buy a cheap used sampler in the akai s2000 or e-mu esi range and an alesis hr-16. you can get both for under $200 if you look around and then you have a complete sound source in the sampler and all the advantages a drum interface and pads give for programming rythms. the sampler will be infinately programmable as far as sounds you can find and program/sample mangle on your own. plus it can be used for weird fx sounds, synth sounds etc...

• Members

it will take expansion cards to boost the soundset but still is limited in the sounds it has available.

a better option is just to buy a cheap used sampler in the akai s2000 or e-mu esi range and an alesis hr-16. you can get both for under $200 if you look around and then you have a complete sound source in the sampler and all the advantages a drum interface and pads give for programming rythms. the sampler will be infinately programmable as far as sounds you can find and program/sample mangle on your own. plus it can be used for weird fx sounds, synth sounds etc...

• Members

• Members

Actually I like the DR-550 very much. It even has those "Q highs" or whatever they are called - instant Kraftwerk...

The SR-16's sounds are not editable, so what you hear is what you get (rock and pop, very few electronic)

The R-8 MkII is going to be much more expensive than a DR-550

The sampler + HR-16 would be a good option but two devices instead of one, plus cabling etc.

Guest Anonymous

I would spend the few extra dollars and get a DR-660 which has more sounds but, my first choice would be to get a RT-223 since the samples are 24 bit. The Zoom drum machines came out later and sound better IMHO.

:p

Guest Anonymous

I think the biggest "secret" is to stack your drums. Stack two or three claps/snares/kicks to create a custom sound. You can also stack industrial sounds/strings/hi-hats/farts with snares/kicks to create unique drums. If you have a sampler then just download a lot of sounds or buy a few cheap sample cd's off eBay. I purchased a Neptunes wav cd for $10 and found lots of cool sounds.

:thu:

Archived