zvex SHO + catalinbread SCP ??

• Members

The SCP and SHO are similar in that they are both based on a similar circuit. They are not identical.

The SCP does not do the "crackle" like the SHO. The SHO does not have the extra output for an inverted buffer output. The SHO does not accept a power supply without the extra baseplate adaptor. the new SHO comes with an LED.

Of the two, I would probably pick the SPP Sagrado Pablano Picoso Stout Boost. Bigger frequency range plus all the good stuff of the SCP. And run it at the end of your signal chain.

• Members

Originally posted by BmoreTele

The SCP and SHO are similar in that they are both based on a similar circuit. They are not identical.

The SCP does not do the "crackle" like the SHO. The SHO does not have the extra output for an inverted buffer output. The SHO does not accept a power supply without the extra baseplate adaptor. the new SHO comes with an LED.

Of the two, I would probably pick the SPP Sagrado Pablano Picoso Stout Boost. Bigger frequency range plus all the good stuff of the SCP. And run it at the end of your signal chain.

Does the SPP also have this extra inverted buffer output?

• Members

Originally posted by BmoreTele

the SHO is not "based on a similar circuit." the SHO is an original design i came up with in my basement 9 years ago with no applications manuals, no data sheets, and no computer (no internet or newsgroups.) all i had was a BS170 and a collection of resistors and caps. i tweeked it from nothingness into existence. it's based on the inside of my brain. 8^)

i don't know what the SCP is based on.

• Members
Originally posted by omni

I think thay are all based on a micro amp.
:)

interestingly enough, the micro amp is unique in that it was the first opamp-based (chip) booster on the market. it's not a bad design, compared to the LPB, which is a tone-hog and is very distorted.

• Members
Originally posted by zachary vex

interestingly enough, the micro amp is unique in that it was the first opamp-based (chip) booster on the market. it's not a bad design, compared to the LPB, which is a tone-hog and is very distorted.

Ahh, thanks for the info. I wish there was a dealer down here in S Tx that carried your pedals so I could try them out.

• Members

I thought the SCP was loosely based on Jack Orman's fat booster schematic, I have one of the first run SCP pedals, it's a fantastic clean boost, transparant (adds a hint of treble), still leaves your guitar and amp sound intact, insanely loud and once above 1 o'clock, it adds some grit, nice.
I also have a SHO which is a totally different booster, it adds a shimmer and a kind and makes your guitar more responsive, louder attack, once above 12 o'clock, the SHO starts to erupt and if you turn it up further it adds a distinctive distortion, which is my favorite setting
both pedals are great for subtle clean boost, but have a different character, the SCP is crispier, the SHO is darker, the SCP is cleaner, the SHO is dirtier
I love 'em both

• Members

Very well said bieke!

The break up of the SCP is very different to that of the SHO. The Picoso sounds a little more traditional to my ears, where the Hard On has something of a more modern tone.

You would honestly have to try both to be sure you've got the right one. But then you could also check out the Katana Boost if you're intent on...

natural-ish distortion

because it can provide that without needing to be cranked to provide the massive headroom boost of the Picoso or SHO.

Archived