vintage Colorsound wahs?

Speeddemon

• Members

the answer to your first question is "yes"

i'm not totally sure about the price though. i almost bought one from a forumite for $110 but then he decided not to sell it. you'd probably pay a little more than that on ebay or somewhere like that though. i've also heard that the reissues are really good.

• Members

The vintage models are awesome! Very warm, mellow and clean sounding. The physical sweep takes some getting used to. People say the Fulltone has a long throw, but Colorsounds have at least twice the throw of a Fulltone! I payed a lot for my 60's Wah, but the 70's can usually be had for around $150 in good shape.

• Members

Originally posted by Speeddemon

any good?

what's a decent price?

I had one a few years ago. I'd say it's still my favorite sounding wah by far, mostly because of the huge sweep (in sound and in pedal motion), but on the negative side, it was extremely microphonic (very thin case), the pedal didn't hold in position, the switch was noisy, and the pot was scratchy. I wish someone made a quality wah with a sweep that big, normal Vox/Crybaby type wahs feel motionless after using a Colorsound.

• Members

100 euros is a fair price for a good working and good looking Colorsound wah, there are plenty of vintage Colorsound wahs around who have issues (missing battery lids, scratchy pots, finnicky plugs, missing badge ...). If you can, try it before you buy it, I used to have an old one and still regret selling it, but I wanted a wah I could rely on and the Colorsound, well, it's a cheap construction, the pedal mechanism uses a brace that clamps into another brace that connects to the pot and like that, it allows a real smooth and long pedal sweep, but after heavy use, it tends to slip a bit and then it is as if you lack some of the sweep, soundwise it is one of the best wahs ever made IMHO, very warm and soulful, not too trebly, no volume drop and no boost either, some people have said it is not as good with a fuzz or distortion as the Vox or Dunlop wahs, I thought it was pretty decent, but as a plain wah, it really excels

In Holland, there is Tom Heertjes, wah pedal guru who you could contact, he often has Colorsound wahs for sale, there also are a couple of lesser known UK wahs that use the Coloround circuitry

Tom Heertjes

• Members

O.k. so the main problem is some quality issues?

So what if I'd replace all the components with the exact same ones, but moderner (less noisy) stuff? Like metalfilm resistors?

And put shielding tape on the inside?

that would mean i had to buy one from you.

:mad:

• Members

O.k. so the main problem is some quality issues?

So what if I'd replace all the components with the exact same ones, but moderner (less noisy) stuff? Like metalfilm resistors?

And put shielding tape on the inside?

well, I dunno, but I think the whole Colorsound wah mojo has to do with the parts used, I'm not even sure whether the inductor is still available as a part, the pot and the switch are definitely crappy on the vintage colorsounds and I've never been a huge fan of plastic plugs

There were talks that Macaris were going to do another batch of re-issues, their website has been down for maintenance for months now

• Members

Originally posted by bieke

well, I dunno, but I think the whole Colorsound wah mojo has to do with the parts used, I'm not even sure whether the inductor is still available as a part, the pot and the switch are definitely crappy on the vintage colorsounds and I've never been a huge fan of plastic plugs

There were talks that Macaris were going to do another batch of re-issues, their website has been down for maintenance for months now

The plastic plugs are good quality parts made by Cliff, basically the same as the Rean jacks used by Analog Man. Pots are crappy but easy and cheap to replace, approx

Archived