univox super fuzz clones

blaghaus

• Members

Hyperfuzz for sure. I had one at the same time as a vintage superfuzz and they were definitely within spitting distance, so I sold the boss. The vintage just has a tad rougher sound. Just a tad, though.

Also, the Guyatone TZ-2 seems to be heavily influenced by the superfuzz. Or there's the Black Cat superfuzz, or the MJM Chine Fuzz if you're after hand biult boutique clones. But the Hyperfuzz is one I can totally vouch for, and it's still reasonably cheap.

• Members

Originally posted by delorean

ck3 is bound to know, or Sir HC if he's back from holiday yet.

Boron took the words right out of my mouth. :o:D

(He taught me everything I know, after all.)

• Members

Originally posted by delorean

i had a TZ-2 and wasn't impressed.

am i gay?

No ... but be careful, I think that Hot Lettuce is on the prowl (and I might kick yer ass, too). ;)

Seriously though, I've read a couple of complaints regarding volume loss, thin, overly-compressed tones, and lack of sustain ... the latter two of which were the reasons I parted ways with my Boss FZ2. :(

• Members
Originally posted by Wyatt

Black Cat still makes one...$125.

I want to say there are at least 2 other clones, but can't remember who makes them. Check out Musictoyz and Tonefactor and see if you can find them.

-Y.

The Black Cat is what I use and it's the most like the original superfuzz I've heard... I haven't tried a China Fuzz or any of the Ibanez fuzzes but I've heard the orange/blue vs. my Black Cat and the black cat comes very close

• Members

Originally posted by Leftside

The Black Cat is what I use and it's the most like the original superfuzz I've heard... I haven't tried a China Fuzz or any of the Ibanez fuzzes but I've heard the orange/blue vs. my Black Cat and the black cat comes very close

I'll second that.

My only beef is that you need the volume pegged at all times. At least I do.

Archived