Originally posted by elctmist

Write some new songs.

Learn some new chords.

Experiment with tunings.

Learn yer scales!
;)

Figure out a cool cover tune or two.

DJ

yeah im doing number one....new chords, thats good..where do i find some new chords on the web ?
experiment with tunings...yes that i do....
oh {censored}...scales ???
cover tune...yeah thats fun.

thanks !
:)

• Members

Originally posted by ~Mf222

Hey Olle, don't you have a Microkorg? Make a pedalboard for that. Right now I am using my pedals more for that than guitar.

yeah i do.....too bad i suck so brutally on keyboard though....cant even play more than a few chords and some cheesy depeche mode intros.

• Members

What if we gave you song assignments to learn and then come back in a week and play them for us? That would be
:cool:

I'll go first:

"The Final Countdown" by Europe

Yeah, including the keyboard bits
:mad:

ok...ill try

• Members

Originally posted by jdwinger

hmm,

Are you famiiar with basic of how chords are constructed?

once you get that under your belt you can just generate the chords at will and you'll have a better idea of how they function

The lesson loft probably has some good resources -- or better yet seek personal instruction

you are a sports instructor - yes?

same deal

no i have zero knowledge of music theory and such....i started out playing along with tabs of bands i like...and from there on.

• Members
Originally posted by ollenorin

yeah im doing number one....new chords, thats good..where do i find some new chords on the web ?

experiment with tunings...yes that i do....

oh {censored}...scales ???

cover tune...yeah thats fun.

thanks !

Go Here!

The progression builder is great fun.

• Members

nope,

that's the FIRST step

we just have to go back and clean that up
;)

I would never say that people have to know scales or chords or how to read music. I know too many people that are great players that can't read a note.

Still it is helpful if you're stepping out of a band situation, playing improv, or that kind of stuff.

DJ

• Members

What if we gave you song assignments to learn and then come back in a week and play them for us? That would be
:cool:

I'll go first:

"The Final Countdown" by Europe

Yeah, including the keyboard bits
:mad:

I think they say "penis" in that song...
:eek:

• Members

you don't HAVE to know anything in particular to play, of course you don't need all 10 fingers to play well either (plenty of those around)

but it can sure help - it can just make you a more flexible musician

it's not a "have to" situation - it can be one hell of a time saver

The funny thing is, a player will tend build up *A* music theory just by virtue of paying around and listening to music (our perceptions actually get altered by what we hear
:eek:
)

They will learn that some things fit together this way, other things fit together that way

Later on, they may find that there are common names attached to it (oh, those notes I like together..play these.skip that...is called by some a "major" scale)

and when you get stuck or are playing something new or just need to make a guess - you've got some tools to do it with

Yeah, I'm always happy that I went to a UK school back when they made you learn music, even if they didn't teach you any of what I really wanted to play. Shame they didn't make me learn to play piano as well, I took clarinet and classical guitar and can't play either worth a dime.

DJ

• Members
Originally posted by ollenorin

thanks !

ill guess this will be my new adventure.

ill come back when i can play stairway to heaven backwards

Oh yeah, and if you like Portishead and/or the James Bond theme you owe it to youself to track down the Spy Guitar lesson in one of the cooler editions of guitar player from the 90s. That's all in tab, and its great. Plus, you have a Jazzmaster and a Twin Reverb, which are arguably designed to make that twangy reverb sound.

DJ

• Members

hey, clarinet is a fine instrument...it just isn't for me (or you it sound like my brotha)

i doubt i could play it at all now... my lips probably gone, haven't picked one up in years.

Archived