ok, for an outdoor reception: music to dance to- can I pull this of with what I have?

hangwire

• Members

I have a huge amount of money I need to condense because of a family flake who promissed money for the wedding reception which I just found out today [3 weeks until the day] that the money is not coming as promissed over and over again over teh last 3 months ... and music for the reception is an area that is not set 100% and maybe I can make cuts there...

so here is the situation...

I was going to download about 5 hours of music and burn them to CDr and get a PA to play for the outdoor patio for dancing for our reception guests... good selection of sweet slow stuffa nd quirky fun dance stuff for all ages... well... PA is not rented yet so I was thinking of using what I have...

I have a TAPCO mixer from eth 70s which i record with and woudl allow for a mic for the announcements and such...[it says powered, but i think only phantom power and an active eq section]]

a Sonic Micromini bass 1x15" cab

a solid state guitar amp head [acoustic 150 from the 70s]

&

my fiance' is eventually after the wedding planning on getting a "rio I-river" or something mp3 player... this can maybe be bought as a pre-wedding gift for her to hold all the songs... [if not, we have a 6 cd slot boombox stereo with a headphone out]

if the mp3 player has a line out [i imagien it would, right, new technology and all...?] I can get a converter jack to 1/4" and plug it into the mixer, run that into teh guitar amp head as a makeshift power amp, then into the 1x15" bass cab...

will this sound good... or is the guitar amp, bass cab, mixer set up a disaster waiting to happen

for 5 hours of wedding song dance and announcements... would this work... if not... what can I do... maybe just rent a power amp to replace the guitar amp head? should I just rent a small crappy Kustom PA?

• Members

...i also have the 1x15" combo version of the 70s amp... should I plan on runing the mixer into the input of the combo and have the bass cab as a 2nd speaker across the patio? [this is my guitar set up... running both speakers/cab from the combo ... just exchanging pedals and guitar/synth with a mixer with CD/mp3 music and a mic into it]

the reason i ask is because even though i'll try it in my basement tomorrow... i don't know how it would react outdoors and louder... will it feedback, be too quiet or muffled, not sound anywhere decent at all?

• Members

in theory, as you've detailed, it could/should all work out fine --- keeping in mind that those Acoustic heads are all about cleans, and not adding too much 'personality' to the source. a few more thoughts ---

• Members

Originally posted by hangwire

...i also have the 1x15" combo version of the 70s amp... should I plan on runing the mixer into the input of the combo and have the bass cab as a 2nd speaker across the patio? [this is my guitar set up... running both speakers/cab from the combo ... just exchanging pedals and guitar/synth with a mixer with CD/mp3 music and a mic into it]

the reason i ask is because even though i'll try it in my basement tomorrow... i don't know how it would react outdoors and louder... will it feedback, be too quiet or muffled, not sound anywhere decent at all?

as long as you can match impedances and everything, that may be the way to go. as for the soundcheck, what you hear tomorrow is pretty much what it'll sound like. as for being outdoors, or in any diff enviroment, a little eq'ing should be all it takes, but even with out that --- the only thing that can produce feedback is the microphone, and that should be controlled like it would in any other setup. not too much gain, and theres no need for really any bass on the 'announcement' mic, unless you've got James Earl Jones speaking. getting rid of the low freqs will keep things easy to control.

• Members

Ok, find a credit card and go to your nearest guitar center. Buy all of the necessary items:

- (2) 15" JBL's
- 600(ish) watt power amp
- 4 channel Behringer mixer
- (2) Speaker cables and (2) interconnects

30 day return policy, no questions asked. Walk in there like you're looking to try some different PA brands and want to see how well they work in a band situation. If you don't feel right buying and returning all of that stuff at once, have a few people do it...

It's a big day, man! Good tunes are necessary!

• Members
Originally posted by The*Ataris

Ok, find a credit card and go to your nearest guitar center. Buy all of the necessary items:

- (2) 15" JBL's

- 600(ish) watt power amp

- 4 channel Behringer mixer

- (2) Speaker cables and (2) interconnects

30 day return policy, no questions asked. Walk in there like you're looking to try some different PA brands and want to see how well they work in a band situation. If you don't feel right buying and returning all of that stuff at once, have a few people do it...

It's a big day, man! Good tunes are necessary!

don't hvae the funds for this...

• Members

don't hvae the funds for this...

I think he's suggesting you use them for the day and return them for a refund, like girls do with clothes.

What about if something happens to them? Does credit card insurance cover accidental damage?

• Members
Originally posted by Teahead

I
think
he's suggesting you use them for the day and return them for a refund, like girls do with clothes.

What about if something happens to them? Does credit card insurance cover accidental damage?

we don't have room for that on a credit card... we need to keep a little open for the travel and any reception seceret costs that spring up... but otherwise it is pretty high with all the items we needed to buy this past month that I though we coudl pay off with part of that $2500 and envelopes.

• Members

Try your local PA hire place, even in Sydney I can rent a couple of powered 15" JBL speakers with stands for under $100.

Plug your mp3 player into your tapco mixer and you're done.
It's going to sound lots better than trying to do it with a guitar amp.

• Members

I say go with your original idea. Put together what you can, maybe take it outside somewhere appropriate and see how the sound carries?

You're right to leave it playing for a while in your basement too, so you can be sure it'll do the whole gig.

• Members
Originally posted by Merkin

Try your local PA hire place, even in Sydney I can rent a couple of powered 15" JBL speakers with stands for under $100.

Plug your mp3 player into your tapco mixer and you're done.

It's going to sound lots better than trying to do it with a guitar amp.

powered speakers? so my mixer just to a rented speaker? never heard of powered speakers before, but I don't do much in PA...

• Members

I would think a home stereo would work better than the guitar rig. However, I assume that if you had one you would have used it. Do you know any friends who could lend a receiver and maybe two tower type speakers?

Not sure how loud you are trying to get but it seems the louder you turn up the guitar amp the more it will sound like its coming from a guitar amp... if this makes sense.

• Members

Home stereo will do A LOT better than the bass amp.

Surely there are friends who are willing to lend you their hifi.

Man, in Februray I threw a party for 150 people and my hifi handled it all with lots of remaining overhead.

And I had great success using my computer as a DJ mixing table. Try a program like Virtual DJ, it kicks ass and you can select all of your downloaded songs (I had 3 hours of dance music). Just connect your computer's line out to an AUX on the hifi. You'll still be able to use a mic, your soundcard probably has a MIC input.

• Members

I do have peopel who could bring a hoem stereo... but that would be such an immense hassel... and if it started raining... I am sure that stuff is less sturdy that giging music equpiment in handling soem raindrops before they can eb pull dinside....

the reception site had a big screen TV and DVD player that we are using to play teh wedding video before dinner... so maybe the DVD player will play teh CDs... I wounder if I would need more than just the one 1x15" bass cab, though, because the area people will be dancing is about 25 feet by 25 feet tops... and we are only having about 80 or so people...

if i were to get something to rent [which i need to do super cheap if at all] would it be better to get a keyboard amp and cab combo, or a powered speaker?

• Members

I used two M-Audio sel powered recording speakers fed by a personal cd player. This was in doors for a house party and the type of music was light, jazz/flamenco/bassa nova.

Depending on how many people you will have, I think your stereo should work fine. You have no DJ friends at all?

• Members

Sorry for lame suggestion. i sort of had to pull something like that when one of our amps went missing for a couple of days right before a show. Closest rental place was, like, three times as far as the nearest Guitar Center (40 min.). Worked out pretty nicely for us, and they didn't even blink...

Powered speakers are very commonly used (mostly for monitors). If the venue want long speaker cable runs back to the stage, it's about the only option. I'm not sure what they'd rent for...

I feel really bad. I've got almost 2K worth of PA gear just sitting in my singer's basement a mile away that I'd gladly lend you if you were in the area. We're not using it; half of my stupid band is in Mexico...

• Members

the thing about this idea that i would have a problem with is that i find music played this way to be very tireing to listen to. you may be able to do some extreme EQ to make it ok though. if it was me i would be worried about bad sound quality effecting my guests ability to have a good time, and you surely don't want to ruin the big day this far in. i say try it at home and then if its just not going to work then call in a favor from a friend.

and if you are super worried about rain on a borrowed set of stereo speakers then keep a couple of tarps nearby just in case.

and hell shouldn't the best man be handling this?

• Members

what is that blue flame music in your sig? is that your store or just someone you are affiliated with? would they have anything that you could use?

i ask because i used to work at a mom and pop and we did that kind of thing all of the time. there was always some sort of small PA around that we would rent out occaisionally on the cheap and depending on who it was we would loan from time to time. not that i'm saying you should put undue stress on a working relationship but its worth a shot. maybe even borrow now pay later or whatever. thats why we love those places...because they are real world companies that understand real world people.

• Members
Originally posted by jackfendeyrockandroll

the thing about this idea that i would have a problem with is that i find music played this way to be very tireing to listen to. you may be able to do some extreme EQ to make it ok though. if it was me i would be worried about bad sound quality effecting my guests ability to have a good time, and you surely don't want to ruin the big day this far in. i say try it at home and then if its just not going to work then call in a favor from a friend.

and if you are super worried about rain on a borrowed set of stereo speakers then keep a couple of tarps nearby just in case.

and hell shouldn't the best man be handling this?

oh, so that is what the best man should be doing? :D ... if he comes through, with "buying my synth" so we can recoup some of the lost $2500 a relative fell through on which we were counting on... that will be more than enough!

I don't think music is that big of an issue... as most of the people there will be drinking and drinking and catching up... this is a reception a week afer the wedding... so hoepfully very casual... oi think most of my faince's family are showing up in hawian shirts...

i tried out ti just trie dit out with a cd diskman into teh tapco into the soildstate head into the 1x15: cab and then with teh 1x15" combo and that 1x15" cab... it ounds OK... but I did have to cut almost all teh bass at each EQ stage (mixer and amp) but then again, teh CD in the diskman was a pixie's tribute album, so very distorted to begin with... i will throw in teh Snatch soundtrack after I get back from the store and see how that plays... most everyone will eb drinking so hoepfully the soudn swill be decent enough for teh announcements and the main traditional dance songs... i might bring down the DVD player and see if that sounds better... oh, and I wa sonly running it mono... with teh DVD I think I'll have the connectors for stereo use...

• Members

powered speakers? so my mixer just to a rented speaker? never heard of powered speakers before, but I don't do much in PA...

Yep, they are called JBL Eons, although there are a few companies doing some knockoffs of them. Really good sound for a self contained package, and you should be able to hire them pretty cheaply.

• Members
Originally posted by jackfendeyrockandroll

what is that blue flame music in your sig? is that your store or just someone you are affiliated with? would they have anything that you could use?

i ask because i used to work at a mom and pop and we did that kind of thing all of the time. there was always some sort of small PA around that we would rent out occaisionally on the cheap and depending on who it was we would loan from time to time. not that i'm saying you should put undue stress on a working relationship but its worth a shot. maybe even borrow now pay later or whatever. thats why we love those places...because they are real world companies that understand real world people.

blue flame is a mom and pop sho that I try to get exposer to so they don't close... and they don't have any PA stuff... i don't know... what was going yesterday didn't sounds all that bad... but I need a real trial with the stereo to see...

• Members
Originally posted by Merkin

Yep, they are called JBL Eons, although there are a few companies doing some knockoffs of them. Really good sound for a self contained package, and you should be able to hire them pretty cheaply.

what would teh benifit be of getting these? I mean, sounds wise why would thsi be better than the 1x15" cab I have? i think what I have will work... so i want to know if i can help cut that spending down if well enough is OK...

Archived